Scuba's '99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making - TTORA Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-12-2014, 11:18 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Scuba's '99 Single Cab SAS.. 5 Years in the Making

I've only got another month or so until I'll have most all of my parts in/ on the way. Figured I'd start this thread now.
This thread will include parts lists, plans, pictures, beer, and I hope constructive criticism from everyone.
This will be my first time with such an epic fab project on my own vehicle although I have helped out with a couple solid axle swaps.

Cutting will not start until I have every part I will need to drive the truck safely. I will most likely be borrowing another TTORA member's garage, another members 220 welder, and hopefully a plasma.

Goals for this SAS: get rid of the death trap IFS. Make a more reliable front end. Allow me to wheel more than I wrench.
I want to push the front axle forward as far as possible. I want a better approach angle, I want the tires out of the firewall, and I want to stretch my short wheelbase a little bit.
I am going leaf springs. I don't need a crap ton of flex. I want the strength of a high pinion 8" diff with chromoly everything.

Parts list:

Front: Diamond Axle, 8" High pinion (Marlin built, 5.29's, Yukon grizzly locker). 67" WMS w/ IFS hubs. FROR Tacoma brake mount. RCV inner shafts. TG "longfield" birfs.

Marlin 25MM steering arms. FROR DOM Tie rod/ drag link. All-Pro FJ80 TRE's. Ford bronco forward swing steering box. Parts mike flat pitman arm TG Steering shaft kit. EDIT: 3/31/14: (I have found redline steering fluid that satisfies the needs of both the stock pump and the gear box. The PSC pump kit won't be needed).

FROR SAS kit, All-pro 4" springs. Bilstein 12" 5125's. All-Pro frame plates.

T100 oil pan, pickup, and all that jazz.

Rear: T100/ Tyndra axle. Will transplant my 8.4 welded 5.29 diff into it.
All-pro 5" rear suspension kit. 12" bilsteins.

The truck will probably be on 38's-40's next if I can grow some balls.

That's the basic parts list, I'm sure I am missing some small things. Here are some pictures so far.

Obligatory broken IFS pictures.

Remaining parts (steering shaft has been ordered):

The IFS has taken me almost EVERYWHERE I've wanted. From Moab, to AZ, the Hammers, to the Rubicon, Windrock ORV, Hidden Falls, etc.. IFS has its purpose. It served me well for the past 5 years. However, it is time to take the truck to the next level.

Stay tuned.

99 Single Cab 2.7. Finally SAS'd and sitting on full width Toyota axles.

Last edited by Scuba; 03-31-2014 at 10:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 02:01 AM
Veteran Member

This makes me smile.

Maybe I'll learn something.

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #3 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
Veteran Member

you and me both jumping for it right now. Im getting a diamond with a 9.5" center built up right now. Going links and coilovers with a healthy stretch on the front end. Get at it buddy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00regcab View Post
See, my mom is actually good for something other than being a prostitute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsixtyseven View Post
allow me to help with the mind-fuck ...

post #4 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Veteran Member

very nice!
post #5 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsfreak1234 View Post
you and me both jumping for it right now. Im getting a diamond with a 9.5" center built up right now. Going links and coilovers with a healthy stretch on the front end. Get at it buddy!
You must be following Nate's lead. Lol.
I figure eventually I'll have a 9.5 for the rear. The 8" front should hold up decently since I'm not a throttle jockey.
Glad to hear your jumping on the band wagon, though! We'll have to do another Moab run after both are finished!

post #6 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:10 PM
Veteran Member

Sweet! I didnt realize that a diamond can be built for that cheap.

2002 Ext cab TRD v-6, crawler and lots of dents.
That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.
post #7 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
Sweet! I didnt realize that a diamond can be built for that cheap.
That doesn't count the $1200 high pinion diff, the $400 TG "long fields", knuckle service kit, chromoly hub gears, hardware, ect..
Not to gloat, but I think I already have about $3500 in the front axle alone.

I should have just gone with a 60.

post #8 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
You must be following Nate's lead. Lol.
I figure eventually I'll have a 9.5 for the rear. The 8" front should hold up decently since I'm not a throttle jockey.
Glad to hear your jumping on the band wagon, though! We'll have to do another Moab run after both are finished!
I rarely say no to some time in Moab.

Nates build definitely inspired mine along with a few others ive seen. I just havent been able to keep up with IFS repairs fast enough to get the truck wheeling again and finally have the money for the swap so I figured now was the time.

Quote:
Quote:
post #9 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
I rarely say no to some time in Moab.

Nates build definitely inspired mine along with a few others ive seen. I just havent been able to keep up with IFS repairs fast enough to get the truck wheeling again and finally have the money for the swap so I figured now was the time.
It's funny you're in this thread.. I actually found that jack shaft today in my toolbox. Guess you don't need it anymore?

post #10 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:30 PM
Veteran Member

not really lol. If you want to ship it to me to include with my 4wd conversion kit (cut off IFS junk) when I sell it i wont say no but I really have no need for it. I havent been on the boards much at all in the last year so. im slowly starting to post again doing parts research for my swap and looking for wheeling trips this summer to go on. sometime life keeps us away from our hobbies for a while whether we like it or not.

Quote:
Quote:
post #11 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 04:05 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
That doesn't count the $1200 high pinion diff, the $400 TG "long fields", knuckle service kit, chromoly hub gears, hardware, ect..
Not to gloat, but I think I already have about $3500 in the front axle alone.

I should have just gone with a 60.
AHHH there it is!! Gloat away, i could have abought a 4spd atlas and still had money left over for how much i dumped into my lefty/doubler setup so i hear ya!

2002 Ext cab TRD v-6, crawler and lots of dents.
That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.
post #12 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Did some prep work today..
Got the studs in the housing, replaced the stock knuckle bearing races with the Marlin 25MM ones, polished the knuckles.. etc.
Biggest issue of the day.. when I tried to dry fit the Marlin diff inside the housing, it wouldn't fit. The adjusters are so far out... brought it home (I have to keep my parts at the storage unit a few miles away) and started grinding. Nicked a diff stud but got it out. Got the diff to fit. Took lots of persuasion.
I also pulled the old rotors off of the IFS hubs. I might try machine those down with my grinder here at home.

Pics..

Polished my balls. Will probably JB weld "polish" them becayse they are pretty pitted.

Brake mounts came in.

Before putting the shafts in the birf, I verified they fit in the knuckle ball without grinding. They did.

BTW: Whoever came up with this style wheel hub/ brake mounting system should be tarred, feathered, and then hung. I'd venture to say it's the same guy that came up with the 05+ Tacoma hub bearing.

Not a whole lot of "progress" but its just some prep work that I won't have to do when it's time to cut.

I should have my marlin rebuild kit tomorrow.
I also got confirmation that my knuckles, spindles, and steering arms were shipped from my dad's place out in CA.

post #13 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
not really lol. If you want to ship it to me to include with my 4wd conversion kit (cut off IFS junk) when I sell it i wont say no but I really have no need for it. I havent been on the boards much at all in the last year so. im slowly starting to post again doing parts research for my swap and looking for wheeling trips this summer to go on. sometime life keeps us away from our hobbies for a while whether we like it or not.
I suppose I'll just pass it forward to someone in need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slander View Post
AHHH there it is!! Gloat away, i could have abought a 4spd atlas and still had money left over for how much i dumped into my lefty/doubler setup so i hear ya!
Lol that sounds about right.

post #14 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Got my Marlin service kit today. Missing the spindle nut kits that were supposed to be in the box. Will call them monday.

Prepped the IFS hubs today. Got them cleaned, stripped of the old bearings/ races, turned down, and cleaned again. Ended up taking them to Autozone to check the fit in a Tacoma rotor. 1 fits, 1 is slightly too big. Will fix that sooner or later.

Might be picking up a tundra rear axle this weekend.

Pics.

Yours truly!

post #15 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 04:23 PM
Veteran Member

Looks good Scoob!
Tailgate as a work bench! I like it!!! I got some new part envy goin' on too lol.

So where you at now, Austin?

Ted & Joy
post #16 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 06:25 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Did some prep work today..
Got the studs in the housing, replaced the stock knuckle bearing races with the Marlin 25MM ones, polished the knuckles.. etc.
Biggest issue of the day.. when I tried to dry fit the Marlin diff inside the housing, it wouldn't fit. The adjusters are so far out... brought it home (I have to keep my parts at the storage unit a few miles away) and started grinding. Nicked a diff stud but got it out. Got the diff to fit. Took lots of persuasion.
I also pulled the old rotors off of the IFS hubs. I might try machine those down with my grinder here at home.

Pics..

I should have my marlin rebuild kit tomorrow.
I also got confirmation that my knuckles, spindles, and steering arms were shipped from my dad's place out in CA.
same issue with my ARB HP LC diff...had to grind some of the housing to get that sucker in/out.

either make up a set of ball gussets or buy a set and weld them in before you build everything. i used some 1"x .250 angle stock rather than the 1/4" flat that you see as 'kits'. works great. (will try to find some pics)

lookin good so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
post #17 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoss View Post
Looks good Scoob!
Tailgate as a work bench! I like it!!! I got some new part envy goin' on too lol.

So where you at now, Austin?
Thanks Ted!
Yep, still in Austin! Doing decent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
same issue with my ARB HP LC diff...had to grind some of the housing to get that sucker in/out.

either make up a set of ball gussets or buy a set and weld them in before you build everything. i used some 1"x .250 angle stock rather than the 1/4" flat that you see as 'kits'. works great. (will try to find some pics)

lookin good so far
I think I ground a little too much of the housing out but it should still seal just fine. It still took lots of persuasion after grinding.
I actually just got back from helping a friend fit her brand new 8" ARB in her housing. The adjusters were too far out, also.

RE: ball gussets.. I've got a set from Brian with the axle. I asked him to leave the balls and perches tacked where he thinks everything should be. He just didn't mount the gussets.

post #18 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
RE: ball gussets.. I've got a set from Brian with the axle. I asked him to leave the balls and perches tacked where he thinks everything should be. He just didn't mount the gussets.
I did mine well after the fact so was able to figure the right positioning by simply turning to full lock each side and marking. then cut the gussets to fit and welded in a little at a time so I didn't heat things up too much inside.

bottom...made them like a little skid

top...same as kit type

hmm...need some paint on a few things under there

Quote:
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
post #19 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-14-2014, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
I did mine well after the fact so was able to figure the right positioning by simply turning to full lock each side and marking. then cut the gussets to fit and welded in a little at a time so I didn't heat things up too much inside.

hmm...need some paint on a few things under there
Yep. After I set my pinion/ camber angles, the gussets will be on. And yea, you need some spray paint!

Last edited by Scuba; 03-15-2014 at 03:57 AM.
post #20 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 01:31 AM
Going John Galt

can't I just call it rust colored paint?

Quote:
Quote:
post #21 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Adam (Rockweiser) just picked up my rear axle from Dallas. He was headed up there for the ufc fight anyway so it made sense.
Its from a 2002 Tundra, unknown mileage. Was only replaced because of a leaky pinion and axle tube seal.
I will end up putting my 8.4 3rd in this. I'll also use my brake backing plates with the tundra shafts so I can keep the e-brake cable up above the leaf springs.

It's a little dirty but that's not a big deal.

Picked it up for $120 and I owe my friend $45 for gas. Not bad in my opinion.

post #22 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member

2000 Tacoma
3.4 TRD
ICON C/O
Marlin Clutch.....Totaled in Flash flood

2005 Tacoma
4.0 L
King ext. C/O
T/C UCAs...Totaled in ANOTHER Flash Flood

2012 Tacoma
4.0 TRD
stock still
post #23 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:02 PM

I like the extra width you went with..I kinda wish mine was that wide for the extra stability instead of 60/62 that I am now. You going to run a high backspace wheel to keep the scrub radius at a minimum?

Short Bus v5.1
3rz/w59
Sky's housing on leafs and 35's
Caged, Longs, PSC hydro assist, TG trunion bearing eliminators, Detroit front, ARB rear and 4.7 duals

08 Mazdaspeed 3
post #24 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Originally Posted by clund21 View Post
I like the extra width you went with..I kinda wish mine was that wide for the extra stability instead of 60/62 that I am now. You going to run a high backspace wheel to keep the scrub radius at a minimum?
I think he needs the extra width for the 42s

Quote:
Quote:
post #25 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Go big or go home, right?

Short Bus v5.1
3rz/w59
Sky's housing on leafs and 35's
Caged, Longs, PSC hydro assist, TG trunion bearing eliminators, Detroit front, ARB rear and 4.7 duals

08 Mazdaspeed 3
post #26 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clund21 View Post
For the time being in keeping my 3.75 BS wheels. I will probably go with tundra front brakes later on, so I'll keep that in mind if/ when I replace the wheels. If so I suppose the most I'll end up at is 4.5.

Quote:
Biggest these axles will see are 40's. I swear.

post #27 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:28 AM
Going John Galt

Quote:
For the time being in keeping my 3.75 BS wheels. I will probably go with tundra front brakes later on, so I'll keep that in mind if/ when I replace the wheels. If so I suppose the most I'll end up at is 4.5.

Biggest these axles will see are 40's. I swear.
yea, that's what Pepe said

with your reg cab you should be able to run 37s w/o problems...less weight than the larger Tacos. Past that on yota axles/diffs and you are just asking for carnage.
want 40s? go 1-tons or don't even bother.

Quote:
Quote:
post #28 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 03:26 AM
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to weltz99
You're making me wish I went with all yota parts now.....
Then again I only have $1300 in my hp44

Im definitely watching this swap

I hate cookie cutter rigs....

Wheelin Rig: 99 Taco reg cab
Full cage, 3 link and full width build up here!!

Tow Pig: 07.5 Duramax ecsb
4" dumped exhaust, AFE Stage 2 intake, EFI live and some tranny upgrades
post #29 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 09:23 AM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Quote:
yea, that's what Pepe said

with your reg cab you should be able to run 37s w/o problems...less weight than the larger Tacos. Past that on yota axles/diffs and you are just asking for carnage.
want 40s? go 1-tons or don't even bother.
Yeah. Tell that to Jason who's been running 39's for a couple years without problem.

post #30 of 303 (permalink) Old 03-16-2014, 01:49 PM
Going John Galt

Quote:
Yeah. Tell that to Jason who's been running 39's for a couple years without problem.

does he drive like you?

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode