Suspension swap - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-07-2016, 11:04 PM Thread Starter

Suspension swap

I have a 91 toyota pickup with a straight axle conversion. Has 4 inch trail gear lift and 2 inch body. Its on 35's. A lot to list on the truck. But i have just got a 94 4runner thats all stock. I wanna put the running gear off the truck to the 4runner. I have seen that the 4runner has a coil over set up in the rear. Im not sure on whats best to do. Any ideas? Just put the leaf set up on the 4runner? And will the leaf springs be able to hold up? Or leaf in front and 4 link the rear? Trying to keep it on a cheap budget. But im new to the four wheeling world. And not sure on what to do thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-10-2016, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Nothing?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 04:46 PM

Any problems with 1991 4x4 with front solid axle? The cheapest thing is keep stock 4Runner stock, stock. It will cost time and some money to swap suspension parts between vehicles.

1991 Toyota XCab 4x4, 3.0 V6, LCE Performance Cold Air Intake, Crane Cam Ignition System, NGK 6341 IridiumIX Spark Plugs, 5 Spd. Manual, with Marlin Crawler Short Throw Shifter, 5.29 Gears with Detroit Lockers. 35x12.5-15 BFG KM2s, ALCOA RIMs. My Daily Driver!

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:15 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Most of the rear lifts I've seen for that model seem to favor LC springs or some other heavier spring to gain lift. Not many go through the effort of 4 linking the rear unless they want to completely redo the rear suspension.

Leaf sprung front with that 85 axle should be a pretty straight forward swap into the 4runner. I'm not sure what springs you have now, but they should do fine on the 4runner. You could bastardize the springs if you need to add a leaf for more weight.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2016, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

The springs are a trail gear leaf spring. Front axle i got is good. So then you think i should be good just swapping from the truck to the 4runner? I think thats what i will do. Then if i need to pick the rear up just add onto the leaf. I wasnt sure if i should do that or try and find like a full size leaf. But if you think i should be good that route im going to try it.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 10:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowStop View Post
Leaf sprung front with that 85 axle should be a pretty straight forward swap into the 4runner. I'm not sure what springs you have now, but they should do fine on the 4runner. You could bastardize the springs if you need to add a leaf for more weight.
+1 Swapping the front pickup axle & leafs into the 4runner will be a cheap, easy first step with good payoff.

'03 4unner as daily driver & '98 4runner for trail rig.

My '98 build
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter

I planned on doing the front axle swap. Just wasn't sure if i should link the rear or leaf spring. And if the leafs could hold up. Im going to try it out and see what happens.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode