hydro assist help!! - TTORA Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 07:23 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
hydro assist help!!

i just finished as SAS and added hydro assist. Ive read forum after forum trying to figure something out. Ive got the
usual probem of hard steering. I've got 37's, trail gear hydro assist ram, stock power steering pump. My question is can i run my stock pump and get good results? Ive read forums with both answers.. Is there a modification i can do to the pump to make it work better? Ive bled the it numerous times, and no longer have foamy fluid or fluctuation in the level. Ive tried just driving it, no improvements. Just trying to weigh my options before i spend another $500 on an upgraded power steering system.
pvannattan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Veteran Member
 
Dick Foster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nevada City, NorCal
Posts: 12,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvannattan View Post
i just finished as SAS and added hydro assist. Ive read forum after forum trying to figure something out. Ive got the
usual probem of hard steering. I've got 37's, trail gear hydro assist ram, stock power steering pump. My question is can i run my stock pump and get good results? Ive read forums with both answers.. Is there a modification i can do to the pump to make it work better? Ive bled the it numerous times, and no longer have foamy fluid or fluctuation in the level. Ive tried just driving it, no improvements. Just trying to weigh my options before i spend another $500 on an upgraded power steering system.
I run a stock pump but I run 35" tires. I attempted to monkey with the stock pump but found the poppet valve swedged together making it difficult to do properly as you want to modify both the orifice for more flow and the spring rate for correct line pressure. One without the other made for an interesting driving experience so I settled for a stock pump which I found adequate for my rig with a 1.5" cylinder bore and 35" tires.

I admit to being Crazy but I'm not Stupid
Dick Foster is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Going John Galt
 
hytenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 31,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvannattan View Post
i just finished as SAS and added hydro assist. Ive read forum after forum trying to figure something out. Ive got the
usual probem of hard steering. I've got 37's, trail gear hydro assist ram, stock power steering pump. My question is can i run my stock pump and get good results? Ive read forums with both answers.. Is there a modification i can do to the pump to make it work better? Ive bled the it numerous times, and no longer have foamy fluid or fluctuation in the level. Ive tried just driving it, no improvements. Just trying to weigh my options before i spend another $500 on an upgraded power steering system.
no difference at all? perhaps something isn't hooked up right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hytenor View Post
no difference at all? perhaps something isn't hooked up right?

Everything is hooked up right. I've triple checked everything and all is good there. it's working, just not like it's suppose to. I opened up the orifice in the pump yesterday. it was a step in the right direction but now it whines like crazy. i guess a stock pump serving 2 components just doesn't have enough...i figured it would at least turn as easy as stock steering, but not so much..may just have to bite the bullet
pvannattan is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-02-2017, 12:37 PM
Going John Galt
 
hytenor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Norcal
Posts: 31,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvannattan View Post
Everything is hooked up right. I've triple checked everything and all is good there. it's working, just not like it's suppose to. I opened up the orifice in the pump yesterday. it was a step in the right direction but now it whines like crazy. i guess a stock pump serving 2 components just doesn't have enough...i figured it would at least turn as easy as stock steering, but not so much..may just have to bite the bullet
when you bled the system did you purge the ram? On mine, whenever I have to change fluid, etc. I have to actually manually push/pull the piston in/out while listening for air bubbles inside. It is a major pita but the only way I've been able to completely get all the air out. It doesn't take much air to screw up the whole thing. And, If I don't do this I wind up with death wobble at around 50mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teryx View Post
Yeah, well, I'm just glad I snagged a few Spector cans before EPA converted them to Sphincters
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Jake View Post
Lube may be your best friend (depending on location).
'00 Excab Tacoma, 2.7, 5sp with a Bunch-o-mods
Inchworm Rock Walkin' Gear
hytenor is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cross-over w/ Hydro Assist or Full Hydro Steering? 007max Suspension/Tire Mods 39 01-05-2011 04:11 PM
Hydro assist vwfastg60 Extreme Mods & Wheeling 7 12-02-2010 01:28 AM
TG hydro assist hotwheels For Sale/WTB in AZ 7 09-05-2009 09:45 PM
Hydro Assist Mike Solid Axle Swap Tech 116 11-06-2006 02:15 PM
hydro assist? RadRyan(Fabwerx) Solid Axle Swap Tech 9 04-04-2006 06:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome