2wd to 4wd swap question - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

2wd to 4wd swap question

So long story short, i have an 89 4runner that im selling to a good friend of mine this week. I want to buy a 2001-2004 Tacoma crew cab. With the 2wd being much cheaper and easier to obtain i was looking at going that route, but is it a better route to take? I want to do links/coilovers and one tons.I already have my 1ton axles for the swap- the front Dana 60 is a passenger drop- and the rear is a 14 bolt.

My questions are:
Will the 2wd trucks computer work like it should when i swap a 4x4 tranny into it?
Are there any other problems im going to run into?

I figure someone on here has done this before or will know.

Thanks for your time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member

The auto trans doesn't really care too much about the transfer case. You just make sure the truck you buy has a speed sensor on the transmission output shaft. I think in 2004 they got rid of that sensor since all the 2004 tacos had abs, so they just used the ABS speed sensors, which you won't have once you swap the axles.

Pretty sure you should be good to just buy a transfer case and inchworm? advanced adapters? maybe makes the 2-4wd adapter. Or just get a used complete auto trans with the transfer.

Or go big with an atlas...

Wait, the tacomas are drivers drop transfer case, so you need to figure that out.

Ugly '85
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 07:22 AM

Yes it's easy to get a 2wd and swap in everything especially because you wouldn't be able to use any or the taco's 4wd parts unless you swapped your front passenger side drop D60.
I'm thinking of doing this with a 4th gen 4Runner. So far I found you can swap in an FJ transfer case for around $350 i haven't looked into if that will work with a 2wd transmission but I'm also looking at going manual transmission. The only issue for you would be the FJ case is driver drop. So you might have better luck with adding an Atlas as you can get them with either side drop.
Good luck and let us know how it's going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode