Lets talk about 05+ brakes.. - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Lets talk about 05+ brakes..

Does anybody know of any companies that they would recommend for some slotted and cross drilled rotors..

Performance brake pads?

I only have 20% of my pads left..some this needs to happen..and soon..

Any websites or companies that will give a TTORA discount?

Thanks guys!!

2005 Taco-White-SR5-factory locking rear diff.
Suspension-Engage LT with Kings/Donahoe rear shocks w/resi..Deaver 10 pack
Performance-K&N 63 series-Flowmaster 40 series-Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
Wheels/Tires-Eagle 186 17x9-35" muds
Extras-Hella lights-Glassworks Unlimited on all corners-Cobra CB radio-My own fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Moving this to newbie tech...
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Veteran Member

IMO go with stock replacement parts. Aftermarket stuff isn't worth it unless you are racing the truck.

05 Gold SB DC 4x4, Hoes, TC arms, TSB leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's, Timbren bumps, limit straps, locker mod, locker skid plate, one piece rear driveshaft, blah, blah, blah

Definition of the day:
Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright
ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign
of breaking down in the near future

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Veteran Member

Couple guys on Toyotanation upgraded their brakes.

EBC Dimpled rotors and Hawk Ceramic pads/Hawk Ferra-Carbon pads

They said they noticed a big difference.

~MARK
......Anti-BRO
Florent Fabrication
DMZ Fab and Race Prep
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 01:26 AM
Veteran Member

Yeah, and I'm sure they did a controlled 60-0 braking test prior to installing and just after the install...right? Anyone who spends a large amount of cash on any upgrade will always tell you how great it is, cause they can't admit that they pissed away cash. Not to say that the aftermarket brakes aren't any good, just saying that the typical bang for your buck just isn't there, for the amount of cash spent. Just my .002

05 Gold SB DC 4x4, Hoes, TC arms, TSB leaf pack, Bilstein 5150's, Timbren bumps, limit straps, locker mod, locker skid plate, one piece rear driveshaft, blah, blah, blah

Definition of the day:
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojavegold View Post
Yeah, and I'm sure they did a controlled 60-0 braking test prior to installing and just after the install...right? Anyone who spends a large amount of cash on any upgrade will always tell you how great it is, cause they can't admit that they pissed away cash. Not to say that the aftermarket brakes aren't any good, just saying that the typical bang for your buck just isn't there, for the amount of cash spent. Just my .002
Thats true

~MARK
......Anti-BRO
Florent Fabrication
DMZ Fab and Race Prep
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:48 AM
Veteran Member

I haven't done anything to my Tacoma's brakes...

But I've done it to lots of other stuff.

While better stopping performance can surely be had by changing the pad material, it almost always happens at the expense of pad life/durability.

Very much like tires, a soft brake pad "Bites" better and wears out sooner.

Again, I have not used the hawk pads on a Tacoma.

But I really wish somebody would take a set off road and dunk them in some muddy water so we could find out what happens.

I suspect that they will be worn out shortly after the dunking.

They might not even make it home.

For what it's worth, the factory pads seem to shrug off a dunking with little ill effect.

2017 Gen3 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4X4 Double Cab

Bone Stock and Loving Every Minute Of It.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member

X2 Frank. Forgot about the water/mud issue. It's been a long time since I have done any muddin. Good point.

Definition of the day:
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I agree!

The tacoma brakes are somewhat lacking..... I highly doubt that new fangled rotors/pads will make much (or any) of a difference.

The problem lies in the pedal travel... You have to step on the pedal soooo far to get a serious braking. It's almost like they're not proportioned properly OR the master cylinder doesn't have a big enough bore (or ABS systematics thrown in...who knows).

Acura vehicles are similar as Toyotas...
We own an Acura MDX - and the braking is awesome!! One little press on the pedal and you know its working. Press a little harder and you'll nearly go through the windshield. But then again..... 4 wheel discs.

Why can't the tacomas have 4 wheel discs by now??

All my children....
http://www.lieblweb.com/Jansters07Avatar.jpg
"Jandy"
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

I don't have any issues with my brakes. The brake assist took a while to get used to, but it works fine IMO. The brakes really come on strong when you get in a pinch.

Definition of the day:
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-04-2007, 11:44 PM
Veteran Member

Ive put these on before: http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pads.html great pads but alot of brake dust.. I also had brembo cross drilled and slotted, but actual feel was the same as stock. Only the brake pads seem to do alot more IMO..

OLD TRUCK: 2005 Toyota Tacoma DC LB v6 4x4 TRD.
DMZed

HERE IT IS: DMZ Info:
http://www.dmzfab.com/ryanmac.html
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 06:11 AM

EBC makes truck specific brake pads. Look at the green stuff line. They also carry a long life pad designed for freight trucks.

Slotted/drilled/dimpled rotors are a bad idea on a street car as they can make your brakes less effective depending on the pad choice. On a race car, they vent off gases built up under high speed high heat situations. On a street car, they prevent the pads from reaching the correct temperature.

If you HAVE to have the bling... get slotted only. they are cheaper, help slough out water, and do not significantly reduce the life of the rotor like drilled can.

a guy on the expedition portal swapped tundra brakes onto his tacoma. Cool mod imo.

wait, there was a car in that scene??
http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/6162/meganfoxhy9.jpg
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 07:02 AM
Veteran Member

FWIW - unless your racing your Taco, I would say go back with OEM stuff, or if you want to go with new aftermarket stuff, I'd say just go with trusted Brembo blank rotors, and some OEM pads.

I have seen the Tundra swap done, I think its a cool deal, but even there, you would run Brembo tundra rotors, with OEM pads.... just a thought.

-Chris
2004 DoubleCab Tacoma PreRunner: 3.4 V6-Auto, DD/Tow Rig
1997 Lexus LX450: 4.5 I6-Auto, DD
1984 4Runner: 22R-5 speed, 14 inch bob, 5.29's, lincoln locked rear, lockright front, Armored and Caged by Mossyrocks Fabrication, total disregard for body damage.
1997 4Runner: SOLD
1996 FZJ80 Land Cruiser: WRECKED
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 11:53 AM

the ebc will offer improved braking but at the expense of longevity. The trade off for improved stopping power is to sacrifice either the rotor or the pad. When i put them on my daily driver I went from 40k stocker pads to 30k EBC green stuff pads. No biggie for the improvement they offered. Others claimed 10k-15k life. EBC's customer service is great.. call em and ask them. they wont feed you bull just to sell expensive rotors you dont need.

What i want to see is a bracket that allows the stock tacoma caliper to be used with the stock tundra rotor. Moving the existing caliper further out on a bigger disk will increase braking power with out having to buy tundra calipers.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keynote22 View Post
the ebc will offer improved braking but at the expense of longevity. The trade off for improved stopping power is to sacrifice either the rotor or the pad. When i put them on my daily driver I went from 40k stocker pads to 30k EBC green stuff pads. No biggie for the improvement they offered. Others claimed 10k-15k life. EBC's customer service is great.. call em and ask them. they wont feed you bull just to sell expensive rotors you dont need.

What i want to see is a bracket that allows the stock tacoma caliper to be used with the stock tundra rotor. Moving the existing caliper further out on a bigger disk will increase braking power with out having to buy tundra calipers.
Interesting idea, probably worth looking into. Only issue: how would they interact with the ABS and brake assist system? In all honesty, I have never felt the need for increased braking capability, but if you wanted to run 35's, then I could see the benefit of the larger rotor.

Definition of the day:
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-05-2007, 04:54 PM

shouldnt be an issue since the abs reads wheel speed at the hub on a toothed gear. It compares one wheel speed to every other other wheel's speed looking for rapid deceleration.

ABS function would be the same.

The only reason I would like more braking is because I haul a trailer regularly. A pad or other simple upgrade is cheaper than a trailer with brakes Braking on the tacoma is pretty poor when compared to my other vehicles.

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member

10-4 I get it. My personal experience has been in favor of trailer brakes. They are well worth the money. But if they aren't in your budget, then maybe upgraded brakes are the better deal. The first Q I would ask yourself is: how often do you tow and is this really worth it. If you tow a lot, then trailer brakes are worth it. They come in kit form, so you can do the work and save a bit of cash. My .002

Definition of the day:
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Veteran Member

I love my OEM brakes, they arent sqishy, and are very responsive, even with a bed/cab full of stuff. The ABS has never overreacted.

As far as towing, thats an easy one.. trailer brakes.. most axles have the holes to mount them to, and for a couple hundy you have trailer brakes.... about the same as upgrading the brakes on your taco, and much more effective.

2005 3500 SRW 4X4 QC LB NV-5600 5.9L Cummins

'03 SR5 4Runner, V6 4WD. 1" cornfed

“Speed doesn’t kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.”

Quote:
Diesel is like a sore dick, you just can't beat it
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah64id View Post
I love my OEM brakes, they arent sqishy, and are very responsive, even with a bed/cab full of stuff. The ABS has never overreacted.

As far as towing, thats an easy one.. trailer brakes.. most axles have the holes to mount them to, and for a couple hundy you have trailer brakes.... about the same as upgrading the brakes on your taco, and much more effective.
I agree, why mess with a good thing, when trailer brakes are an easy upgrade They just aren't as cool as hot shot brakes on your new truck We all gotta learn the hard way, so I'm stepping out of the way.....

Definition of the day:
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 01:37 PM

Crossed drilled rotors are also more prone to warping and cracking. For sports cars, they may look "cooler", but they're not as effective. Slotted rotors are more effective in keeping the pads clean in racing applications.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Veteran Member

What's the bore size on the tacoma?

Are they all the same from generation to generation?

Wonder if they did anything to the system for the 2005's+ or not?

The truck is bigger than previous generations. What's the overall weight difference between the 2005's and older gens?

All my children....
http://www.lieblweb.com/Jansters07Avatar.jpg
"Jandy"
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Veteran Member

The brake setup I have wasnt even an option on the older tacos, but thats just the master cylinder. The brakes themselves are larger, IIRC, as most normal 16" rims dont fit the 05+, and you can fit 15's on the older tacos...

2005 3500 SRW 4X4 QC LB NV-5600 5.9L Cummins

'03 SR5 4Runner, V6 4WD. 1" cornfed

“Speed doesn’t kill, its the sudden stop that hurts.”

Quote:
Diesel is like a sore dick, you just can't beat it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode