truck wont start by pushing clutch - TTORA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to nickcuban
truck wont start by pushing clutch

well i have never had this problem until tonight... when i try to start my truck it wont do anything at all, that is, unless i push the clutch start cancel button. anyone have any ideas? i tried searching, but i didnt know what to try

STOP CALLING YOUR STOCK TRUCK WITH A 3" LIFT A 'RIG'. IT IS NOTHING SPECIAL, SO STOP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Guti907
isnt there some sort of switch/button under where you push the clutch down to let it know that it can start?

96 Reg Cab Taco, Downey Rear Bumper, Celica Seats, cb, and tons of lil dents. 3" toytec/OME lift, 32" geolanders. Also custom arizona plantlife pinstriping.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 05:59 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
There is a switch on the clutch pedal that senses when it is fully depressed. Check to make sure that switch is properly adjusted or that your floor mat isn't preventing the clutch pedal from going all the way to the floor.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Veteran Member

Its either a normally open or a normally closed switch. It will either start with the wires cut and safed off, or cut and spliced together. I am not sure which but one of them will just bypass the clutch position switch in a pinch.

Current
2004 V6 Extended Cab Auto

Sold and Missed
2008 V6 Extended Cab 6-SPD
2003 V6 Extended Cab 5-SPD

Custom stereo and hidden 10" sub
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member

My switch comes apart all the time when I kick the shit out of it with my big boots. It's just a simple white plastic switch. If you short the wires and have cruise control keep in mind that the engine will rev high wildly if you clutch in with the cruise control on. Normally pressing the clutch kills the cruise.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member

That clutch switch is a pain. I just scotchloked the two wires together. Now my truck thinks the clutch is to the floor all the time. Just have to watch I don't try and start it in gear.

D/D 2014 Tacoma Access Cab, TRD OFF ROAD 4x4, BFG MT km2, 265-75-16, 3" Toytec OME lift with 885 coils and shocks, Alcan AAL.

https://www.ttora.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=621
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessevic View Post
Its either a normally open or a normally closed switch. It will either start with the wires cut and safed off, or cut and spliced together. I am not sure which but one of them will just bypass the clutch position switch in a pinch.
Don't sacrifice safety for the sake of saving a buck or two. The part is less than $15. Fix it right. If you do go the cheap route, don't cut off the connector or throw the mounting bracket away. The PO of my last truck did that crap and you can't buy replacements.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 AM
Veteran Member

not trying to insult anyone's intellegence here. So don't take offense. I make this post only because this same situation has happened to me and I felt like a complete idiot once figuring out what I did.

If you are like me and somewhat short. Make sure your seat is completely adjusted so that you can completely depress the clutch pedal to the floor. As I said this has happened to me. I thought something was wrong, only to realize that my wife had been in the truck and moved my seat back trying to get it back in the position I had it, only to push it back too far. I typically discover this early on a trail run when I am sitting slightly up hill.

that or the floor mat might be in the way. I am all about confirming the "obvious" and simpliest isn't the problem before diving into the completed "fixes"

BEAR
OVERKILL IS AN UNDERRATED ACHIEVEMENT

Originally Posted by abbott
remember, in the world of cars and trucks, its not cubic inches, its cubic dollars.
GO SPURS GO!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to nickcuban
well i checked the floor mat and it wasnt in the way. i looked under there where the clutch is and just saw a bunch of wires and crap, so i have no idea what id be looking for.

STOP CALLING YOUR STOCK TRUCK WITH A 3" LIFT A 'RIG'. IT IS NOTHING SPECIAL, SO STOP!
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Veteran Member

The clutch pedal has a tab on it that hits the switch. Just stick your head under the dash (or remove the section under the steering wheel) and move the pedal in and out and you will see it.

Originally Posted by Rebuilt98
That's it I'm going to rip off my nuts so I can run faster, jump higher, and generally be way cooler.

99 Tacoma extra cab (currently under construction), 02 Tacoma 4-door
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 08:34 PM
sfe

If you don't want to purchase/install the new switch just continue to use the Clutch Start Cancel switch. No sense in the safety risks of bypassing the clutch safety switch.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Member Dismemberer

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to ShowStop
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcuban View Post
well i checked the floor mat and it wasnt in the way. i looked under there where the clutch is and just saw a bunch of wires and crap, so i have no idea what id be looking for.
The switch is mounted sort of below the clutch linkage that connects to the master cylinder. The switch has a white button about 1/2" long and attaches with a 14mm nut to a bracket. There are two wires going to the switch and connect with a white connector.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 08:56 AM

My 2014 tacoma won’t start sometimes with the clutch all the way in. And the clutch bypass button does nothing. The first time it happened was weeks with in buying it so the dealership said the alarm system was wired into the clutch and they had to remove more wiring they missed, problem solved. Then all of a sudden the other day it did it on a road trip took 10 minutes to get it to start. Since being back in town it’s done it a time or two so I’m not even driving it right now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode