Rear Suspension Lift for P/U: Blocks or Springs? - TTORA Forum
View Poll Results: Blocks or Springs? Remember I will only be lifting the truck 2" all around.
Blocks 2 22.22%
Springs 7 77.78%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb Rear Suspension Lift for P/U: Blocks or Springs?

Georgians. I have indeed tried the search function and by no means am I a stranger to Yotas. So I do have a question out there for members who have had first hand experience with these two types of approaches and would love to hear any pro's or con's that might come with them. Question: Blocks or Springs? If you do want to throw up some info that would be much appreciated. Lexus Senior Cert. and Toyota Expert Cert. not to mention ASE Master Cert. (not trying to come across as conceited just want to provide a little background) so please feel free to throw out as much tech info as you would like. My application will be with my 93 P/U as in my sig. I will be utilizing Toytec Ball-joint spacers up front (2") and am curious as to which set-up is commonly prefered to lift the rear. Pros, cons, suggestions or a simple vote would be much appreciated.

SOLD: 93 Truck / DLX / 22R-E / MT / 4x4
Bolt-on's: LCE Pro Air Intake Tube Kit, Hayden 3710 Ignition: NGK Interior: SR5 Interior Swap, Hilux Inclinometer Exhaust: LT Header, DEI, PAIR and CAT delete, Glass-pack + 50 Series FM Exterior: Roll/Light Bar, Toyota Brush-guard, KC 130W Daylighters, Cragar Soft 8's on BFG KM2 33"s Chassis: Energy Suspension Suspension: Rough Country, Toytec, Marlin Crawler, Pro Comp
PREVIOUS: 91 Truck / SR5 / 3VZ-E / AT / 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:20 AM
Veteran Member

Well, springs are best. Add a leaf is next best, then shackles, then blocks. It all really depends on your budget and goals. If you're just going for looks, then blocks will suffice. If you're going to wheel it a lot, then go with another choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRoss
Super easy? Your banana factor must be out of calibration.
84 Pickup ... aka Donkey Puncher
Flatbed, Welded front and rear, hydro assist, 35's, Dual Cases, Flat Belly, 15" BBCS Shocks, Mossyrocks Cage and Sliders

99 4Runner ... aka Red Rocket
TJM, Elocker, Custom roof rack, DD

96 F250 ... aka White Rhino
Tow Rig
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by benny_wiskas View Post
Well, springs are best. Add a leaf is next best, then shackles, then blocks. It all really depends on your budget and goals. If you're just going for looks, then blocks will suffice. If you're going to wheel it a lot, then go with another choice.
So blocks are not really built for longevity or is it a more of an issue of all around suspension performance?

Bolt-on's: LCE Pro Air Intake Tube Kit, Hayden 3710 Ignition: NGK Interior: SR5 Interior Swap, Hilux Inclinometer Exhaust: LT Header, DEI, PAIR and CAT delete, Glass-pack + 50 Series FM Exterior: Roll/Light Bar, Toyota Brush-guard, KC 130W Daylighters, Cragar Soft 8's on BFG KM2 33"s Chassis: Energy Suspension Suspension: Rough Country, Toytec, Marlin Crawler, Pro Comp

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:23 AM
Veteran Member

A 2" block isn't a bad set-up. Smokey's got 'em. Any taller though & it will cause axle wrap.

Be cautiously cool!
Whatever! I still look better than the chick next to me!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:19 AM

I agree, blocks are mean to your springs. I've had both on my 98 taco. the springs from all-pro have a much better ride, hint; get the next size up from what you want, because mine settled. I only needed two inches, but I bought the three inch.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Veteran Member

just get some shackles off ebay for 40 bucks. cheap, easiest to put on and should wheel just fine.

Phil
Ga Chapter
Mods
Lift Kit
Big Tars
Cool piston keychain
Autozone seatcovers
ect...
FB
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies so far. That was a good reminder about the axle wrap. I have seen OEM's implement these on trucks but I figured there has got to be a threshold that you do not want to cross.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil88 View Post
just get some shackles off ebay for 40 bucks. cheap, easiest to put on and should wheel just fine.
Phil I do have a question about the shackles. What's the equation or rule-of-thumb when it comes to shackle length vs. actual lift achieved. I appreciate the response BTW.

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Veteran Member

Lift shackles,however much longer the shackle is than stock youget half that much lift. say you have a 2 inch longer shackle youll get 1 inch lift, 3 inch longer shackle you get 1.5 inch lift. You dont need to go with no more than 2 inchs of lift with shackles.

Phil
Ga Chapter
Mods
Lift Kit
Big Tars
Cool piston keychain
Autozone seatcovers
ect...
FB
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
"Terry Tate"

Shackles if you are on a budget. They work just fine. Spend the extra money on a longer brake line.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:53 PM
Veteran Member

This kit right here:
Lift
with the shackles if you arent doing any heavy towing/hauling. If you are going to tow and haul alot then get the AAL.

Sorry to go different than everybody else

2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4
-E-Locker, ATRAC
-All-Pro Sliders
-Bilstein 5100's/1.25" Rear Spacer
-Toyo Open Country AT2's
-Tundra wheels
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody16 View Post
This kit right here:
Lift
with the shackles if you arent doing any heavy towing/hauling. If you are going to tow and haul alot then get the AAL.

Sorry to go different than everybody else
No all ideas are much appreciated. In fact those Toytec rear springs were exactly the ones I had in mind if I were to do the leafs.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA22RE View Post
No all ideas are much appreciated. In fact those Toytec rear springs were exactly the ones I had in mind if I were to do the leafs.
Also, I know that you said that you are going with the spacer lift, but if your budget allows a little bit more I would recommend the OME lift from Toytec. I dont know what kind of research you have done, but the OME will ride better than the spacers, and if I remember correct, the spacers cause premature front end sag(faster than the OME). I have had mine for 3 years with no problems. Just food for thought....

2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4
-E-Locker, ATRAC
-All-Pro Sliders
-Toyo Open Country AT2's
-Tundra wheels
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I saw that kit for the Taco's. The difference is I have IFS w/ Torsion bars instead of front coils. Again I appreciate the responses.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 06:28 AM
Veteran Member

I'd do aal or shackles or both if need be.
If I remember right we had a 1.5" blocks under a '92 that we had. Cranked up the t-bars a little to level it out. BJ spacers are better tho. It was okay I guess...

Ted & Joy
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA22RE View Post
Yeah I saw that kit for the Taco's. The difference is I have IFS w/ Torsion bars instead of front coils. Again I appreciate the responses.
Ok, my bad. I dont really know anything about the older models

2007 FJ Cruiser 4x4
-E-Locker, ATRAC
-All-Pro Sliders
-Toyo Open Country AT2's
-Tundra wheels

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the TTORA Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode