TTORA Forum

TTORA Forum (https://www.ttora.com/forum/)
-   General Discussions (https://www.ttora.com/forum/201-general-discussions/)
-   -   Domino Runner (https://www.ttora.com/forum/201-general-discussions/163067-domino-runner.html)

domino 07-30-2010 02:25 PM

Domino Runner

After a year of seeing Lance's "Bad Boy Runner" for sale, I finally broke down and convinced Ashley to let me get it when the price became too good to pass up. Daniel and I took off last saturday morning with 2 trailers in tow to pick it up along with an xtra cab parts truck. (Cab swap in the future for Daniel maybe??) After a long day of driving, lunch with micheal at wendy's, and discovering some issues with Daniel's trailer we got everything back to Haskell. The '83 is getting parted out to fund the build up of the new family trail rig. I'm in the process swapping my thirds, front housing, hydro assist, and seats before I get into the non bolt-on modifications.

Jordan7118 08-23-2010 11:11 AM

Domino Runner

Woot!

LDT98 08-23-2010 03:22 PM

Pics

domino 08-24-2010 07:48 AM

Domino Runner

Pulled the front third out of the 4runner and it looks like this:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/DSC02930.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/DSC02929.jpg

I may end up just selling the locker and keeping the third for a spare unless someone else wants to run it. The backlash still felt good and the pinion looks fine, so maybe the carrier was chewed up from a previous setup? I can't tell for sure what's going on with it, but it's possible this pinion is set too deep, the pinion nut backed off, or the crush sleeve has failed. I'm gonna play with it some more this evening when I pull the rear third out.

Edit: I did some reading last night and this morning, and apparently it's common for some 5.29 setups to contact the carrier. Still not ideal, but maybe there isn't anything major wrong after all.

OldTruck 08-24-2010 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2021022)
2 years after I bought this truck, it's about time to start saying goodbye. It's done a great job and I've beat the snot out of it, but I needed to get into something that the whole family could ride along in. Daniel and I drove to Paragould today to pick up the new ride, an '85 4runner with a lot of work already put into it. I'll be parting the old truck out but will continue to wheel it until the motor gets sold. Maybe I'll get another trip to hot springs in before it's immobile. Pics of the new rig will be up soon.

Dude, I cannot believe ya'll drove all the way up here and didn't tell somebody.
Stacey

domino 08-24-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTruck (Post 2022850)
Dude, I cannot believe ya'll drove all the way up here and didn't tell somebody.
Stacey

I didn't have your number! Sorry. I did call Faber and he stopped by to help load and go to lunch with us.. :o

domino 08-24-2010 09:29 PM

And I still haven't taken the time to get some pictures. I've been busy pulling thirds and swapping the 30-splines into my '83 housing. I need to get the 4runner into the garage to investigate the engine knock, but I've got so much crap to do I don't know where to start.

gittinit 08-25-2010 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTruck (Post 2022850)
Stacey

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2022871)
I didn't have your number! Sorry. I did call Faber and he stopped by to help load and go to lunch with us.. :o

:p

OldTruck 08-25-2010 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gittinit (Post 2023026)
:p

OldTruck=>:fart:<=gittinit
Stacey = 87 zero to fo 3 3 one 7 zero

gittinit 08-25-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldTruck (Post 2023472)
OldTruck=>:fart:<=gittinit
Stacey = 87 zero to fo 3 3 one 7 zero

(eit sevem owe) toe fo tree tree sevem owe....reminds me bout de story of how I got my gowd toof. :D

gittinit 08-26-2010 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2022427)
Pulled the front third out of the 4runner and it looks like this:

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/DSC02930.jpg

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...4/DSC02929.jpg

I may end up just selling the locker and keeping the third for a spare unless someone else wants to run it. The backlash still felt good and the pinion looks fine, so maybe the carrier was chewed up from a previous setup? I can't tell for sure what's going on with it, but it's possible this pinion is set too deep, the pinion nut backed off, or the crush sleeve has failed. I'm gonna play with it some more this evening when I pull the rear third out.

Edit: I did some reading last night and this morning, and apparently it's common for some 5.29 setups to contact the carrier. Still not ideal, but maybe there isn't anything major wrong after all.

I'm pretty darn shure there is no crush sleeve, if I rember right it will have a solid spacer front and rear. Do the marks look fresh? I'll ask lance if the carrier already had the marks. It is likely that it did.

The rear 3rd is a carrier I ran back when I first went to 5.29s. I broke a set of youkons in that 3rd, and at one point, I broke all the teeth off the spider gears, back when I just had the spider gears welded together, but not welded to the carier. It is all welded solid now though.

domino 08-26-2010 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gittinit (Post 2023662)
I'm pretty darn shure there is no crush sleeve, if I rember right it will have a solid spacer front and rear. Do the marks look fresh? I'll ask lance if the carrier already had the marks. It is likely that it did.

The rear 3rd is a carrier I ran back when I first went to 5.29s. I broke a set of youkons in that 3rd, and at one point, I broke all the teeth off the spider gears, back when I just had the spider gears welded together, but not welded to the carier. It is all welded solid now though.

The marks in the front carrier look fresh to me. I can't tell for sure.. The rear third has the same marks but nowhere near as bad. They appear to be from a previous setup. I'm not gonna ship either one. I'd rather a local buyer look at them in person before they bought them.

79coyotefrg 08-26-2010 05:56 PM

they look like the crush sleeves crushed, have you pulled them apart?? hopefully they didnt just tighten the pinion nut up more

gittinit 08-27-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg (Post 2024030)
they look like the crush sleeves crushed, have you pulled them apart?? hopefully they didnt just tighten the pinion nut up more

I'm like 99% shure they have solid spacers, not crush sleeves. Besides if the crush sleves had crushed to much the pinion would be to shallow to the ring gear (or to deep in the 3rd) not to deep to the ring gear (shallow in the housing).

Sorry for mucking up your FS thread.

domino 08-27-2010 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gittinit (Post 2024259)
I'm like 99% shure they have solid spacers, not crush sleeves. Besides if the crush sleves had crushed to much the pinion would be to shallow to the ring gear (or to deep in the 3rd) not to deep to the ring gear (shallow in the housing).

Sorry for mucking up your FS thread.

It's cool. It's my fault for starting the discussion here instead of taking it to my build thread.

79coyotefrg 08-27-2010 12:16 PM

domino 08-27-2010 12:33 PM

I haven't gotten a whole lot done so far this week. Been too worried about tearing the black truck down so far that I can't get it on a trailer. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll have the motor, thirds, and cage sold out of the '83 and the axles, steering, and front suspension will be ready to go under the 4runner. We'll see...

79coyotefrg 08-27-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2024440)
I haven't gotten a whole lot done so far this week. Been too worried about tearing the black truck down so far that I can't get it on a trailer. Hopefully by the end of the weekend, I'll have the motor, thirds, and cage sold out of the '83 and the axles, steering, and front suspension will be ready to go under the 4runner. We'll see...

Aaron, one of the local Arkadelphia kids is looking for a solid front for his 92 pickup

his name is Cody Miller, i'll get a nuber and pm it to you

79coyotefrg 08-28-2010 06:41 PM

:worthless

domino 08-28-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg (Post 2025015)
:worthless

I know, I know. I've been busy. We're getting the front axle bolted up in the morning and I'll update with some pictures.

79coyotefrg 08-28-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2025052)
I know, I know. I've been busy. We're getting the front axle bolted up in the morning and I'll update with some pictures.

putting the axles from the black truck under the runner??

domino 08-28-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg (Post 2025094)
putting the axles from the black truck under the runner??

Yup. My old front axle was armored, trussed, marlin histeer, good third, etc. Threw the 30-splines in it and swapping it under the 4runner. Already put my old spooled third into the 4runner housing with disc brakes.

79coyotefrg 08-29-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2025119)
Yup. My old front axle was armored, trussed, marlin histeer, good third, etc. Threw the 30-splines in it and swapping it under the 4runner. Already put my old spooled third into the 4runner housing with disc brakes.

AWESOME, what does it have for rear suspension?? 5 inch TG??

domino 08-29-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg (Post 2025303)
AWESOME, what does it have for rear suspension?? 5 inch TG??

Right now it has sagging stock rear springs with a 2" block. Once I get some more stuff sold, i'm going to order some 3" TG rear springs. I'm thinking those will get the truck pretty level with my RUF setup I swapped over.

79coyotefrg 08-29-2010 08:54 PM

you might want to get 4 inch springs cause you know the 4runners have a heavy :wiggle:

domino 08-30-2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 79coyotefrg (Post 2025555)
you might want to get 4 inch springs cause you know the 4runners have a heavy :wiggle:

It won't by the time I'm done with it.

Arky Tacoma 08-30-2010 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by domino (Post 2025693)
It won't by the time I'm done with it.

Do tell! I want to hear the plan!

domino 08-30-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arky Tacoma (Post 2025718)
Do tell! I want to hear the plan!

Gonna bob the rear up to the shackle hangers and swap in a pickup tailgate. Between that and taking the top off, I ought to lose quite a bit of weight. I'll eventually try to bob the top too, but it won't get put on more than a couple times a year.

79coyotefrg 08-30-2010 12:43 PM

hmmmm, make it look like a mini avalanche when the top is on??

79coyotefrg 08-30-2010 12:50 PM

dont you want some boggers for that runner http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...ilies/deal.gif