TTORA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery light came on the other day. Sure enough the battery gets weaker as the day goes on. Truck has 53k on it. Is the alt dead, as in don't bother trying to fix it? TIA

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
Get the battery checked out at your local autozone- That way they confirm if the batt is good or bad-

At the same time they can probably check the output of the Alternator or you could check the alternator output with a multimeter - basically should be putting out more than 12V (~14-14.5V I think)

·
Registered
143 Posts
grillmasterp said:
Get the battery checked out at your local autozone- That way they confirm if the batt is good or bad-

At the same time they can probably check the output of the Alternator or you could check the alternator output with a multimeter - basically should be putting out more than 12V (~14-14.5V I think)
I've never had my battery light come on when it was dying...and I've been through 2 batteries....

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
Dolemite said:
Battery light came on the other day. Sure enough the battery gets weaker as the day goes on. Truck has 53k on it. Is the alt dead, as in don't bother trying to fix it? TIA
If, after getting everything checked out, it does turn out to be the alternator you might be able to get away with just replacing the brushes inside. My Batt. light came on when mine were worn down, and it costed me about $15.00 and about an hour worth of work to swap them out.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I've only ever gotten battery lights when my alternator was pooping out. Like Grill mentioned, have the output of your alternator checked as well. You'll know right away if it is indeed the alternator.

Forgot to add; I never got much warning when this has happened to me, if I wasn't really close to home it was time for a tow.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Give everything a good look see. Make sure that the alt leads to the battery etc. are all connected and tight. Check the 80 amp Alt fuse in the underhood fuse box. Do not try to pull that fuse as it is bolted in. If the alternator is not putting out, it is probably just worn brushes. Maybe the regulator but my bet would be brushes. It is easy to replace brushes, regulator and even the diode pack in the Denso alternators. The worst part is alternator R&R.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
check your fuses, if they are good and you have a voltmeter check batt voltage. charged battery should have 12 v and if the alt is doing its job should bump this up to around 14 v. Local parts store should be able to check output of alternator and battery condition if the battery isnt to discharged for you to drive it there. If the battery is to far down you could charge it up and then drive to parts store to have it checked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Turns out it was the 'typical' Yota stuck brushes, 20 minute fix. I can't imagine how all that dirt got in there. :D

Funny thing is, after putting the alt back in the alt/belt makes a high pitched noise for 1-2 seconds right after starting it. :confused:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Dolemite said:
Turns out it was the 'typical' Yota stuck brushes, 20 minute fix. I can't imagine how all that dirt got in there. :D

Funny thing is, after putting the alt back in the alt/belt makes a high pitched noise for 1-2 seconds right after starting it. :confused:
Can that pulley on the alt be adjusted?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
is the noise a squeak like the belt is slipping and needs to be tightened or is it a high pitched whine. An alternator that is charging good especially if the battery is down can make a faint whine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts