TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been forever trying to get the tires balanced only to find out the rack has excessive play: at the rack attachment bushings: AND internally r&p backlash.

My tire shop is saying the rack has to be replaced. The truck has 230k miles on it so it's prolly not under warranty anymore :p

I thought about just replacing the bushings with this Energy kit and see if it improves.

Then there is therackdoctor who seems to offer a very reasonably priced solution. Found this searching the NB and had at least one good review that I could find.

It looks like a PITA to replace so it's be nice to get it done and fugedaboudit hence therackdoctor option... IDK...

Also, do you have to purge the power steering system? Or does all the fluid just drain out once you break open the system. I don't want a new part contaminated with old fluid. Didn't see anything specific about this in my search.

Anyone done one of these and can shed a little light on the subject?

Thanks!!

Edit: Watch the underlined links some are mine some are not

·
Premium Member
4,185 Posts
i'll direct colin to this .. he's replaced his several times lately!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
that looks like a great kit and instructions. i remember someone posting one up that just notched the front diff where the bolt hit, i bet there is no prob in doing this. The diff is stationary and has plenty of supports.
To get the fluid out just open up the system at the bottom, probably just let it drain w/ gravity. It makes a great sound when you go to refill it, pour fluid in and run the truck turning the wheels back and forth, keep adding fluid.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Seems like a decent enough price for it. I would just go ahead and replace the whole thing since youll have most of the bolts out anyway to swap bushings.

When i swapped racks in my old 02 it was pretty painless (did it laying in the dirt at an apartment!), but I do remember having a heck of a time getting the threads on the hardlines to line back up to the ports on the new rack. I dunno could have just been the rack i was using? Came from Napa or carquest, i dont remember.

This may also be worth a look, be a pretty cheap fix.
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/how-replace-steering-rack-guide-pictures-215931/

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
im still on my original rack at 170K and i did the poly bushings a year or two ago and it made a HUGE difference. steering was so much tighter. also you can look into a new steering rack guide that is apparently very easy and cheap to replace. if it isnt leaking, it will probably fix it between these two things. there is a thread somewhere on the NB about the rack guide. ill see if i can find it.

·
Registered
8,499 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Thanks for the input ya'll... I hate working on DD's :eek:
no kidding. this week has sucked for me not having something to drive. have to have my wife pick me up and drop me off at work lol

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts
Ted I went with an Autozone replacement. Lifetime warranty. They hold up very well imo esp considering the 37s. You should have no worries witha rack from them. Call me if you want and Ill give you a quick scoop on the whole picture. Fur O fur fiv O two nin svn fur two.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
no kidding. this week has sucked for me not having something to drive. have to have my wife pick me up and drop me off at work lol
Ha! Mom taking you to school!!

Ted I went with an Autozone replacement. Lifetime warranty. They hold up very well imo esp considering the 37s. You should have no worries witha rack from them. Call me if you want and Ill give you a quick scoop on the whole picture. Fur O fur fiv O two nin svn fur two.
Good to know..
I'm still driving it. As long as you stay under 60mph it's okay but I can tell it's feathering the edges of the tires.
Thanks! I'll give ya a shout close to surgery.

oh, and Congrats!!!

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Ha! Mom taking your to school!!

i grew to not mind it by the end of the week. lol also helps i only live 2 miles from work

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Well dang, if yur that close you ought'a ride a bike.
road has a good bit of traffic and no shoulder, just a ditch. not the safest road to ride on

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
I hear ya...

Well, I think I'm gonna do bushings for now and see what happens.

should tighten it up quite a bit. couldnt believe the difference it made on mine. there wasnt much of the stock bushings left either though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts