TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am doing research on buying a 01-04 DoubleCab. My budget is around 20k. I will mostly keep the truck stock. It will be used for camping and hiking, and some daily driving. My main question is which year? Are there differences between the 01-04 model years that should point me towards one or another?

I am still up in the air on whether to get a PreRunner (I won't do much off-roading, just FS roads to trailheads for hiking) or a 4x4, but I am pretty sure I will seek a 3.4L, but could probably be talked into a 2.7L PreRunner if there were good reasons to go that route.

Although I am not much into off-roading, I am asking this question in these forums because in my experience the geeks, enthusiasts, modders, etc of any particular product are almost always the best source for info. It is clear that the folks on these forums are just that. I used to own a 1999 Regular Cab 4x4 2.7L (i think) and *loved* it, I cannot wait to get back into a Tacoma. Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

·
Registered
796 Posts
The 03 and 04 changed to a "drive by wire" throttle that some have had problems with. The 01/02 seem to be very reliable

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
A regular cab with the 2.7 & 5spd is a great combo...however, the 2.7 + auto + doublecab is relatively underpowered.

Since you are buying used, I'd sacrifice a year model and get :
3.4L V6
4wd

The only differences I can think of between the year models:
2002 - added the driver Oh shit handle
2003 - drive by wire

I'd much rather get a 01-02 4wd v6 than an 04 Prerunner -

Did you ever engage 4wd with your old 99 reg cab?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Here's some information on the Tacoma (Hilux outside of U.S.):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hilux

I have the '01 d-cab trd. I bought it when it first came out for $25k, so you should be able to get an earlier one for way less than your $20k budget. The only difference I can think on the '01 models is that it didn't come with the optional spray-in liner.

Also, there was a minor recall that the dealer fixed few years ago. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Shoot, if you have enough 01-04 Dcabs around that you can be picky you're lucky. Alot of people have had to hunt for months to find what they were looking for.

Did the Dcab come with anything other than the 3.4? I've never seen one. Must be like the 5 speed dcab ;)

Oh and get the 4WD, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say " I wish I had got the pre-runner", but check out all the 2WD-4WD conversion questions and builds on here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
> The 03 and 04 changed to a "drive by wire" throttle that some have had problems with

That is precisely the type of hard to find information I was seeking, thanks!

> A regular cab with the 2.7 & 5spd is a great combo...however, the 2.7 + auto + doublecab is relatively underpowered.

I kinda thought so, there were times where I wish I had a bit more power in the 2.7L regular cab even.

> Did you ever engage 4wd with your old 99 reg cab?

Yeah sure, here and there in the snow/ice and occasionally on a FS road. I was certainly glad I had it for those times, but probably did not actually need it.

> Shoot, if you have enough 01-04 Dcabs around that you can be picky you're lucky. Alot of people have had to hunt for months to find what they were looking for.

You are absolutely right. I don't have that many to choose from, I have been looking for around 1-2 months and probably wont buy for another 2 or so. In the end I will have spent several months finding what I want. When I search around here (Seattle), I usually find 6-8 or so for sale at any given time. Usually out of those, only 1-2 seem to fit the bill.

> Did the Dcab come with anything other than the 3.4? I've never seen one. Must be like the 5 speed dcab

I have seen 1 or 2 Dcab PreRunner 2.7L trucks for sale, but they do seem pretty rare. If this link works, here is one:
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp;?tracktype=usedcc&searchType=21&pageNumber=0&numResultsPerPage=50&largeNumResultsPerPage=0&sortorder=descending&sortfield=PRICE+descending&certifiedOnly=false&criteria=K-|E-|M-_47_|B-20000|D-_433_|N-N|R-30|I-1|P-PRICE+descending|Q-descending|Z-98102&aff=national&paId=212310436&recnum=0&leadExists=true

> Oh and get the 4WD, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say " I wish I had got the pre-runner"

Ha, good point!

·
Registered
351 Posts
SEREvince said:
Oh and get the 4WD, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say " I wish I had got the pre-runner", but check out all the 2WD-4WD conversion questions and builds on here!
To be fair, if anyone actually thought "I wish I had got the pre-runner" and said so here, the flaming would be unmerciful. After all this is an off-roading (mostly 4WD) site. All I'm saying is don't overlook the utility of an pre-runner (especially if you are mainly going to do light off-roading) by what some people say here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Point taken Footpounds. Since my needs are definitely light duty I am keenly aware that 4x4 may present additional maintenance costs and potential problems for very little benefit (in my particular case).

A cursory search of Dcab Tacomas right now reveals that the PreRunners are much easier to find in my area. Although oddly enough, now and in the past, the 4x4s do not tend to be much more expensive.....

Really though, I am not as concerned about the 4x4 vs. 4x2 debate as I am about discovering subtle differences in model years (01-04) that could lead to future "gotchas" that could have been prevented by just buying a different year.

·
Deal Master
2,773 Posts
one.person said:
A cursory search of Dcab Tacomas right now reveals that the PreRunners are much easier to find in my area. Although oddly enough, now and in the past, the 4x4s do not tend to be much more expensive.....
That is the same case as in the Houston area-
Most buyers don't need 4wd, don't want the additional fwd maint or perception of increased insurance premiums.
They simply want the aesthetics & ground clearance of the Prerunner.
Since the Prerunners have such excellent resale value, the price difference between their 4wd counterpart becomes neglible in the used car market.

I would have no hesitation getting a DC prerunner as a mall crawler /grocery getter as long as I already had a 4wd vehicle in the family. But if you plan on outdoor activities, Its piece of mind knowing you have 4wd if when you need it.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There was a fuel line TSB or recall affecting certain Double Cabs built during a brief period in 2001 - 2004, but I don't recall exactly which period.

To the best of my knowledge this was the only DC-specific recall / TSB during the period.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
The short of it is there are differences between the 01-02 and 03-04, but most of those differences you could very well overlook as a consumer. Your budget is no more than 20k. I bought my 04 DC with 8" of lift, 35s and a bunch of other bling with 52k miles for $21k and my what was fully stock 03 DC with 59k miles for a little under 19k... both prices were before taxes but otherwise out the door from a dealership (ie: including little bs charges like certifying, dealer handling, etc). You could probably get a better price buying private party.

I only spent a few weeks really looking for the truck I wanted this last time (the internet is your friend): an 03 4WD radiant red DC with the TRD package, and I found it. Which considering I live in the land of prerunners, was looking for the least popular color within a certain price range and with certain options and criteria was pretty good... just my experience, hope that helps :)

·
Registered
947 Posts
EnolaGaia said:
There was a fuel line TSB or recall affecting certain Double Cabs built during a brief period in 2001 - 2004, but I don't recall exactly which period.

To the best of my knowledge this was the only DC-specific recall / TSB during the period.
Also the front ball joints I believe..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
11 Participants
jhunter
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing