TTORA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
With all things, most people have a reason for doing what they do. I have found this guy's reason. Should I be concerned? Our 4Runner sees little to no offroad time, so his reasons and mine for suspension change are quite different.

Post #77

From this thread

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
With all things, most people have a reason for doing what they do. I have found this guy's reason. Should I be concerned? Our 4Runner sees little to no offroad time, so his reasons and mine for suspension change are quite different.

Post #77

From this thread
Don't overthink this. This guys setup should work great for your purposes.

Just as Aaron said.. Don't think too much into this. It's one thing to think of an optimal setup for specific applications such as constant heavy load, mid to full length travel, etc etc... But when it comes to factory suspension and using your 4Runner how the average person would use it, tall '99s and trekkies are probably the best setup for doing just that.

BTW: here's the link for the color codes. I'm currently looking for the specs on the tall coils versus all other years. I think the '01 and '02 were the lowest riding 4Runners of the 3rd Gens. So if I remember correctly the '99 tall coils will give you approx 2" lift, give or take a little.

link >> http://www.sonoransteel.com/includes/templates/SonoranSteel/TechArticles/4Runner_front_coils.pdf

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Don't overthink this. This guys setup should work great for your purposes.
Dang... pretty bad when the king of overthink chimes in :D

Just as Aaron said.. Don't think too much into this. It's one thing to think of an optimal setup for specific applications such as constant heavy load, mid to full length travel, etc etc... But when it comes to factory suspension and using your 4Runner how the average person would use it, tall '99s and trekkies are probably the best setup for doing just that.

BTW: here's the link for the color codes. I'm currently looking for the specs on the tall coils versus all other years. I think the '01 and '02 were the lowest riding 4Runners of the 3rd Gens. So if I remember correctly the '99 tall coils will give you approx 2" lift, give or take a little.

link >> http://www.sonoransteel.com/includes/templates/SonoranSteel/TechArticles/4Runner_front_coils.pdf
Thanks, Waldo. I'm not too concerned about why he got rid of them. He seems to actually use his 4Runner as it was intended. Meh... It'll be alright...

What are spring isolaters and packers? Are they just coil-specific lift blocks / pucks? I'm new to all this... :eek:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sweet. Thanks for double-checking me.

He's going to take them to UPS and ship them out.

Hopefully this takes care of the @$$-sag and improves the ride a little :cool:

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
If they only have as much mileage on them as dude says they have, it ought to pick your '01 up about 2". Crazy huh. The '01 and '02 4Runner were the lowest riding ones in the 3rd gen group. When it's time for new tires, you should get some 265/75R16s. Will look real good and they shouldn't rub at all.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Hmmm... I was planning more of an inch. Two inches would be fine by me, though.

As for tires, I have a set of 17" Sequoia / Tundra rims in the darker gun metal color. I think 265/70R17 or even 265/75 would be good (maybe too big...). Maybe 255/75R17 like comes on the JKs (07+ Heep Wranglers).

I believe they make a 235/80R17, which is equivalent to a 235/85R16, but that may be a little too narrow for me. A 265/70R17 is about the same as a 265/75R16 IIRC.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Don't go with narrow tires, especially narrow tires that small. You will not like them. Those 265/70/17s sound like a good tire to go with. Need any tips on the install give me a shout.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Word...

Shipping was $81 :rolleyes: Not sure that's real accurate, but whatever. I didn't pay for all of it. Think it's because he went to a shipping middle-man.

Whatever... The stuff should be here soon.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I believe it arrived this past Thursday. A friend at the apartment complex sent a text asking if I wanted him to hold onto a package (no homo) that was dropped off outside our door.

Plan is to pick it up from him tonight. Fingers crossed... :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Yeah, finally got the shocks and springs. Looks good! Now I just have to find time to put them in :rolleyes:

How long do you think install will take for front and rear?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Well, you're pretty tech savvy already but for a first timer on this. Around 3 hours. Your biggest speed bump is going to be compressing the spring for the strut and then decompressing. Since you got new struts and coils you won't have to mess with your current ones, just toss them to the side and forget about them lol. The hardest thing for me with the rear was getting to the damn nut for the top of the shock. Was pretty tricky. You'll get it though.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
10 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing