TTORA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My biggest fear is running into a hiccough while trying to do this on a weeknight and not having the 4Runner for Anna to drive to work the next day. Weekends are booked up. Dang't!!!

You mention tossing old coils and shocks for the front, but I believe I still need to compress them to get the top piece to reuse on new coil and shock, correct?

Thanks for the wisdom, Waldo :cool:

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Last Saturday, I worked for about 4 hours and was only able to get the front struts and springs swapped before I had to roll to LR for a wedding. I gained about an inch and a half.

Last night, I tried to do the rear. How in the hell do you remove the top of the shocks? Good grief, Toyota! I think I need to rent a small Japanese child to be able to get up in there! So, I swapped coils and added a 10 mm spring packer / spring ring / whatever. It's off the bumps and gained about 1.5" of lift. Rides a little better, but really need to get the new shocks on there.

Any thoughts on getting to the top of the shocks? I think I need a medium-deep socket. I had one that was too short and one that was too long. Geez... Nothing ever goes as planned for me. When I'm stationary somewhere, I will have a shop with a lift. Crawling around under trucks is silly... :(

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
It is a big pita. Mine we're in there pretty good. I don't remember how we managed to break them loose. I do remember that when I got the nut loose the shock body wanted to spin. So I had to have my buddy hold it while I wrenched the nut off. You can always cut the shock off as a last resort.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I did some reading on this, and it seems that you can break the stem off the top as a last resort. I just need to get the correct length socket to make it happen, captain. Dang't! Should've read about it before I attempted. I had no idea it would be this difficult :(

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
I don't remember this being a very difficult job. It seems we had the rear coils and shocks swapped in less than an hour.. Can you not get a wrench on the top bolt?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Haven't gone back for more since Saturday. When you live in an apartment, they tend to frown on parking lot wrenching.

Can't get a wrench on it. Short socket too short for the stem, and long too long to fit between body and top of shock. Gotta find a socket that's juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust right :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well...

After my problems with getting the stock shocks off, I started reading about other people having issues. Many of them said they had luck bending the top post off by working the shock back and forth. Ugh... Well, I tried it, and that only caused more trouble. I bent the top post to where the shock body made an orbit pattern of sorts when undoing the top nut. Ugh...

After a couple hours, two destroyed factory shocks (who cares...) and the help of a friend, the rear suspension was ready for new shocks. Putting on the new shocks was a breeze. I hate shocks with top posts instead of eyelets and bolted. Ugh...

Had a small scare on Saturday. I was crawling around under the 4Runner and noticed what I thought was a transfer case mount. Thought, "Eff, where's the crossmember for this thing?! How is that doing any dang good?! Eff..." I had my friend who has a FJ60 crawl under and confirm. Yep. He though the same thing. So I called Johnny "On the Spot" Waldo. He told me it's a harmonic balancer. Guess that makes more sense, but it really scared the poop out of me. Ugh...

Oil, filter, and driveshaft lube. Still have a few small things to do to get it to a point I'll feel better about. Think I'll change transfer case and diff oil, coolant flush, maybe power steering flush. Just trying to baseline this thing and get it to where I know it's going to live for a long while.

May have sourced some 265/70R17 Michelin LTX AT2s. Factory Ford F150 takeoffs with about 3K miles on them. After riding on the Michelins that came on the 4Runner, I'm sold on the ride. They're just so nice. And JBo highly recommends Michelin tires for their quality and long-lasting, excellent ride. The LTX AT2 seems to be a very mild all-terrain. These would be going on the gunmetal Sequoia 17s I bought. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
D bags... I go to the ends of the internet to help ya'll and I can't even get one Martha Franklin comment :rolleyes:

Bought the tires last night. Look brand new. Hope they ride as nice as the current Michelins.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Let's talk tires.

These tires I picked up off CL with a supposed 3K miles must've been the hardest 3K miles ever :rolleyes: They're out of round and hard to balance. Lesson learned about used tires from CL. They're fine until about 55 to 60 MPH on the interstate, and then it's not to my liking. Ugh...

I've been trying to pick a size for the 4Runner. I've used this website to compare sizes. Very helpful - http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Original size is 265/70R16.

Options:
  • 265/70R17
  • 255/75R17
  • 235/80R17
  • 255/80R17
265/70R17 is the safest bet. But, I'd like a little more height. I currently have this size on the 4Runner, and I could squeak a little more out of it.

255/75R17 is probably my preferred size at just a squeak over 32". However, this is a factory Jeep size, and I've been told that tire sizes made specifically for OEM suffer. Why? I'm not exactly sure the reasoning. I do know that selection is limited. But, they have a Revo and a couple other good choices.

235/80R17 might be a good choice. They're .2" taller than a 265/70 but narrower by about an inch and a quarter. They're almost all E-rated tires with tough sidewalls and rated for 80PSI. My concern is that an E-rated might be a little too much for a 4Runner. These were made to go on duallys. They also may be a little too narrow for me.

255/80R17 would almost be perfect. They're a little tall at 33", but it might just fit. I would have to think real hard before committing to this. Also, very very very very very very very very limited on tires. I've only found one - BFG KM2s. Probably more aggressive than I'd like.

I'm thinking of tire-wise:
  • Nitto Terra Grappler
  • BFG All-Terrain
  • Revo
  • Firestone Destination A/T
  • Hankook Dynapro ATM
  • Goodyear Silent Armor
What are ya'lls thoughts on all this? Please and thank you :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
I'd go with the 265/70s. Much easier to find, much better selection, and most measure about 32". I'd probably go with the Nittos out of those. The KO's will do well offroad, but SUCK on wet pavement. The Revos do very well on the street, but are a bit weak and leave something to be desired offroad. We have the GY SA's on a couple of work trucks. In my opinion they are just a regular ole street tire. I have not been impressed at all. One of the trucks has had 3 flats in about 15k, so I'm pretty sure the "armor" part (which is why we go them) is a bunch of crap. I don't have any experience with the rest.

41 - 60 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
10 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing