TTORA Forum banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
If I was buying I'd probably go with the 255/75s. Height and width is just about perfect for the 4runner and there's plenty of choices in that size. I'm a huge fan of the revos for a street tire that occasionally sees some dirt roads and mild wheeling. Not much experience in the other choices.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I ran 255/75/17 Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my 4runner. I loved the size (especially with spacers to widen the stance). However, I absolutely hated the tires, by far worst tires I've had. They were very loud for an AT tire (louder than my Duratracs). They also sucked in the rain. My 4runner is full time 4wd and I was sliding around in the rain. Every time it rained it was like driving in snow/ice. They were fine for the first 10k miles, but went downhill from there. It was to the point where I didn't feel safe driving on them and I replaced them with less than 20k miles on them (over 60% tread left). I know these have excellent ratings but I cannot recommend them. I have talked to a couple others who have had similar experiences, all after the first 10k miles which is after most reviews are written.

My dad runs the Firestone ATs on his Tundra, loves them. Very quite, smooth, and good overall traction. This was going to be my choice but I wanted something a little more aggressive.

On size, I like either 255/75/17 or 265/70/17. I wanted the Terra Grapplers but they don't come in a 255 sotire choice may affect your size (or vice versa). If you wanted a little wider you could look at 275/70/17, the Firestone ATs and BFG ATs come in than size and are popular with the 4th gen crowd.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Thanks for the input, peeps!

I don't want to go any wider than a 265. I had 275/70s with the same rims on the Tacoma, and they rubbed in full turn and stuff. I don't really care to run wheel spacers, either.

I'm hearing good things about Firestone ATs, which surprises me. They look really plain Jane :confused: I saw your review of the Hankooks on a tire site, Mr. Swamp. Made me think twice about those.

Revos are up there, too.

Any concerns about running a P-rated tire on the 4Runner instead of an LT? It appears that almost all - if not all - 255/75s are P-rated and not LT.

Again, thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
The P-rated tire is going to be a little smoother ride, but you'll be giving up some sidewall stiffness and strength. If the plan is still for someone to DD this thing on a short city commute 99% of the time, P-metric tires would be fine. If the situation changes and it becomes more of a secondary vehicle that sees more camping/dirt road use a LT tire may be better.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Haha I removed it. I just made that statement in case you had seen it.
I had the Transforces on my work truck for 10k. I had two sidewalls go out, one other flat, and they were chewed up pretty bad from rough roads. Granted, this truck gets used pretty hard, but I was still not impressed.

·
Registered
357 Posts
The P-rated tire is going to be a little smoother ride, but you'll be giving up some sidewall stiffness and strength. If the plan is still for someone to DD this thing on a short city commute 99% of the time, P-metric tires would be fine. If the situation changes and it becomes more of a secondary vehicle that sees more camping/dirt road use a LT tire may be better.
Agreed. The P tires *should also be a little lighter, which *should equate to better gas mileage.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Haha I removed it. I just made that statement in case you had seen it.
I had the Transforces on my work truck for 10k. I had two sidewalls go out, one other flat, and they were chewed up pretty bad from rough roads. Granted, this truck gets used pretty hard, but I was still not impressed.
Are you running an E-rated tire on your work truck? Dang dang!

61 - 74 of 74 Posts
About this Discussion
73 Replies
10 Participants
Jordan7118
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing