TTORA Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front brakes were getting mushy, I lifted the front end up and wiggled my passanger side tire side to side with a ton a play....a closer look at the bearings in the spindle are shot.....I installed a TC kit a month or two ago, I haven't romped the truck hard at all, almost all street use, four wheel drive is not used much, and idea what could have caused this...I have 89000 miles on the truck. Thanks for the help....

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
I've heard this same exact thing happen before with a recently installed TC lift. I wonder if they are using cheaper bearings on their spindles or if they aren't being pressed on properly.

Was your CV axle nut properly torqued? They are supposed to be torqued to 174 ft-lbs. Not having enough torque will cause early bearing failure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
174LBS....HOLY SMOKES....I had read that you were not supposed to torque that nut down as it will crush the bearings......but if I'm wrong I'm wrong....it was not torqued to those specs... thanks so much for the help...my problem is most often is user error...hah hah, i'll check those torques tonight.....

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Even if you check and retorque now it sounds like that wont fix the fact that the bearing is bad. If that is the case then you will just have to torque it correctly the next time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced the passengers side bearings, and just had the other side done less than 2000 miles ago......just to check.....the 175lbs of torque wont damage the bearings......seems like a high load, but specs are specs....damn scary trying to make it 200 miles home on a blown wheel bearing......but made it......200 yards between me and the closest b=vehicle....sorry if i held you up,..but I wasn't going to pass 55mph...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
Its needs to be torqued that much to hold the bearing together. Hell, the torque spec on the manual hub models is over 200 ft-lbs.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
What is a TC kit?
Does he realize that it's not a bearing but a bearing assembly consisting of inner and outer bearings in a sleeve so he is not applying the torque directly to the bearings themselves but to the assembly.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
What is a TC kit?
Does he realize that it's not a bearing but a bearing assembly consisting of inner and outer bearings in a sleeve so he is not applying the torque directly to the bearings themselves but to the assembly.
Tuff Country 5" lift kit. Yes I know about the bearing assembly, but I didn't want to make the explaination too complicated, hence the reference to the manual hub torque spec to show how its normal for these models.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the help....I knew that the manual hubs needed a heavy torque rating, but I had read in a forum that the ADD hub bearing will be damaged if you tighten over 20lbs, for sure this is the reason my bearings failed, once again thank you for all the replys...

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,582 Posts
but I had read in a forum that the ADD hub bearing will be damaged if you tighten over 20lbs
I'm big on calling people out when they spread mis-information. It happens a lot on online forums. If your ever looking for a good source on torque specs for a Tacoma, check here:
http://www.ttora.com/wiki/index.php/Torque_Specifications

I wrote up most of that page and took the info straight from the Toyota FSM.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SWEET........just a little bit of reading could have saved me some big coin........to live and learn yest.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts