TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After spraying down the underside of my 2001 4x4 tacoma double cab w/ auto trans, I discovered I can no longer shift from park without using the shift lock release lever. Not sure if this problem is related to me spraying all the crud out from the trucks underside or not. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
After spraying down the underside of my 2001 4x4 tacoma double cab w/ auto trans, I discovered I can no longer shift from park without using the shift lock release lever. Not sure if this problem is related to me spraying all the crud out from the trucks underside or not. Anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be?
adjust shift linkage

·
Registered
251 Posts
Like Interex said, its the tail lamp fuse. Happened to me a few months ago.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I thought you were kidding.... then I thought about it....

good thinkin
Yup, happened to me after my trailer wiring shorted my tail lamps and popped the fuse. I couldn't figure out why the shift lock wasn't disengaging for a few days until someone told me that my tail lights weren't working. As soon as I replaced the fuse, shift lock started working correctly.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Don't forget your red and amber blinker fluid, don't want to leave home on a run without it!

·
Registered
89 Posts
WTF!?!?! tail lamp fuse!?!?! I had a 1990 toyota truck that didn't want to move from park after I parked it and didn't drive for a couple months. I paid a guy $150 to fix it. I was at work so I have no clue what he replaced.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tried replacing the fuse, fuse is fine. The shift override button doesnt work. I can shift it out of drive but it shifts really hard, like I have to use 2 hands to get it out of drive, once I do its fine and all the gears shift fine. Do you think I have a bad solenoid or what? I cant hear it engaging when I press the brake in so not sure whats going on. Someone please elaborate, and Ive checked about every fuse that would be related to it, yes including the tail light fuse, and my brake lights work. Thanks

·
Banned
42 Posts
Yup, happened to me after my trailer wiring shorted my tail lamps and popped the fuse. I couldn't figure out why the shift lock wasn't disengaging for a few days until someone told me that my tail lights weren't working. As soon as I replaced the fuse, shift lock started working correctly.
get the fuck out of here. learned something new

·
Registered
539 Posts
so just to get this straight the wiried the shift lock on the same circut as the tail light?

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Tried replacing the fuse, fuse is fine. The shift override button doesnt work. I can shift it out of drive but it shifts really hard, like I have to use 2 hands to get it out of drive, once I do its fine and all the gears shift fine. Do you think I have a bad solenoid or what? I cant hear it engaging when I press the brake in so not sure whats going on. Someone please elaborate, and Ive checked about every fuse that would be related to it, yes including the tail light fuse, and my brake lights work. Thanks
Check your linkage to ensure that it's moving the gear selector on the transmission to the proper position. The best way to do this is disconnect the linkage bolt and move the gear selector with your hand. If you can't move it by hand, you've got some internal transmission issues. If it moves freely, move it to the park position and tighten the bolt again.
so just to get this straight the wiried the shift lock on the same circut as the tail light?
Yes, the shift lock gets it's trigger from the brake light power. No power, no unlock.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well Ive checked every fuse about 3 times, some I replaced just because and that didnt seem to work. Also the mechanics shop checked the linkage and said it wasnt anything wrong with the transmission. When I started having this problem it sounded like maybe something popped like the solenoid? Sounded electrical, was weird. Do you think the solenoid popped when I heard the noise? Also when this happened I couldnt shift gears, even though its an automatic, meaning 1-4 gears didnt work but D and R did. Once I put it in park though it was hard to get it out. Im thinking its the solenoid but I cant be for sure. Also when I press the break and have the shift cover removed, where I can see everything moving by the shifter, I cant hear the solenoid clicking when I press the break, not sure if Im suppose to or not. Thanks for anymore help!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I saw a little piece of broke plastic when I opened up the center console around the shift and down in the bottom there was a little piece of broke white plastic. I wonder if something is jammed from a broken piece of something? Not sure. I was gonna take it to the shop today anyways just to have em check a couple more things out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts