TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short: 02 4Runner (2" spacers) making banging noise from front end and find the passenger coil bucket destroyed and it about 3 pieces and the shock mangled.

I've seen and read several threads on here with people having the same problem and the only other option then fabing a new one (I don't have the time) is the Total Chaos coil bucket but their site says "will only work with TC upper A-arm".
I don't care if it's a factory bucket or after market but I need to get this fixed ASAP. I can beef it up later when I have the time. I'm open to any idea's that don't include fabing one myself.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Dang, sorry for the carnage!

As far as we know T/C does not make a coil bucket. They make coil bucket bracing that works with UCAs. We have been a dealer for them for a while and before that we have been running their parts for over 5 years. We could be wrong though...

If I am understanding you correctly, you have 2 inch "riser" or "leveling" or "lift" blocks on top of your coilovers. IF that is the case, there you go... That is why they should not be used.They break stuff...
If they are spring spacers, then you must have had a catastrophic failure. A photo would really help.

You maybe able to have a new bucket welded on if you can get one from Toyota, they used to sell them, we have not seen them listed for quite some time but we have not had to look either.

Hope that helps just a bit!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks two both of you for the input. Your correct about the bracing from TC when I went back to read it and yes it has the total crap red poly 1" spacers above the spring and below the bucket. I bought it that way about 3 months ago and know that it's the wrong way to lift anything.

I've never seen anything go to hell like this while doing nothing other then drive it. I did a couple of moderate trails (Hackets gulch) but nothing nutty like jumping it. I'll take pictures of it Friday when I get a day off and before I grind it off and weld in the new one. I called a Toyota yard I've been using for the last few years and they are going to cut one off a 2001 that they have.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the long delay but I have pictures now. I ended up have a Toyota yard cut off the section of frame with the coil bucket so all I had to do was cut it off my frame and the donor frame and weld in the new bucket. Also don't cut the brake line with your grinder.......
Import pictures 040.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
819 Posts
Ummmm yeah... THAT IS what happens when you bottom out the shock instead of bottoming out on the bump stops. Awesome photo... Can we use this to show people WHY YOU NEVER USE SPACERS? :D

Sorry it happened... But THAT is why we HATE spacers... They do not work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts