TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got my 02 runner on thursday, went and wheeled it friday and saturday.
on my way home from the lake yesterday the engine got real hot before i noticed and it stalled...probably a high temp shut off? so i coasted into a gas station and popped the hood. it was steaming up pretty bad from the lower driver side of the engine... it dropped all of its coolant on the ground.
let it cool and added water and started it to see if i ruined the engine. it started up and sounded normal, just idled a little low 600rpm...ish.

my question, have these rigs had any problems like this in the past? where do you think the coolant could be coming from on the lower drivers side of the 3.4L?

thanks for the help
whit

·
Registered
871 Posts
High temp shutoff

Wow where to start...
No there is not an automatic high temp shutoff. Its more like a high temp, blow headgasket, lose compression shutoff.
No the 3.4L does not have problems like you are describing.
Coolant from the lower drivers side can be the radiator, radiator hose, thermostat housing, water pump. Pretty much in that order.
I do like how you stated that it dropped all its coolant on the ground. That usually indicates a leak, but engines do sometimes drop stuff. Mine dropped a piston one time, I just stopped, picked it up and put it back in. Only took 5 minutes.

Find out where the leak is from, fix it, and then see if the engine is damaged.
Good luck.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
RDAWG said:
on my way home from the lake yesterday
Damage to the radiator during 'wheeling? Mud built up/packed in the radiator? Towing a boat home?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i went back today and filled it up with water.
it appears leak is coming from a round sensor with an orange plug that is located on the rear drivers side below the exhaust manifold.
i removed the small splash/mud guard (about 5"x7") and the spot where it appears to be leaking is right behind that.
dealer is coming up from sacramento tomorrow to pick it up and take it back to sacramento to repair it. it came with a 30 day 'safety warranty'

i started it up and it sounded fine and ran fine.
i moved it to a hotel parking lot so it doesn't get towed from the gas station.
toyota's aren't supposed to do this ;p.

thanks
ryan

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
could it be a freeze plug...it had been pretty cold here lately?
where are the freeze plugs located?

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Definitely a freeze plug...

·
Registered
395 Posts
Freeze plugs usually don't blow while driving. sounds like it got hot and blew something out. Might better find out why it got hot first.

·
Registered
247 Posts
on my way home from the lake yesterday

I hope the dealer does not see mud.. if so they are going to tell you have a nice day if you have not already informed them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turns out it was an engine block heater that was installed where one of the freeze plugs went that went bad...dealer is fixing it and checking other plugs..
thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts