TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 02 prerunner v6. CEL came on, got it scanned came back po136. I replaced the rear sensor yesterday reset the computer and the light came back on after short time. I felt around for leaks in the exhaust and can feel pressure coming out where I installed the sensor. When I installed it and scraped off the old gasket which was deteriorated, a little of the actual exhaust where the sensor mounts came off so now the new gasket and sensor can't seal. Would this throw the CEL, Any ideas of how to seal this or any other ideas in general. Appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had same kind of problem lately and I did the same thing which was changing the O2 sensor, mine was front O2 sensor, and then everybody recomended to clean my MAF (Massive Airflow Sensor) and I did that and CEL never came back on. I think it is called CRC electrode spray(5$), you take your MAF sensor out and then spray on and let it dry. And also unhook your battery to reset the computer . See what happens then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 02 prerunner v6 44k. I went to autozone to have them recheck light to make sure it was still the same code. Lone behold the code was gone. I did talk to a mechanic who said sometimes 5-10 times turning it on and off if the cel is on it will clear the code. Never heard this before, has anyone else? Anyway if cel comes on again I'll try MAF cleaner that suphiceto recommended.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did talk to a mechanic who said sometimes 5-10 times turning it on and off if the cel is on it will clear the code. Never heard this before, has anyone else?
Yeah, basically what happens is everytime the key is turned, the ECM goes through a cycle where it checks the status on every system in the vehicle. After usually 5 to 10 times, the ECM recognizes the that everything is ok and clears the CEL. Provided the problem has been fixed.

To add a note here. I replaced the rear 02 Sensor in my '96 2.7 Tacoma yesterday. When I pulled the sensor out of the exhaust, it was so worn that the probe that sits in the exhaust was falling apart in my hand.The truck still ran though. After I installed the new sensor I looked at the old one. It was the original factory sensor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts