TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove a 2002 Taco double cabe with V6, TRD package and supercharger. Asking price was $23,035. w/ 36,000 miles and a clean carfax report.

First I noticed that the S/C was kind of noisey, especially a whine.
Next while getting onto the freeway in high gear but in low RPM's the motor would ping a bit.. I attributed this to the lot boy putting in regular gas when he filled it up. I know this stuff is actually pretty common. Can be fixed with a URD kit and tuning the motor with a wideband O2 sensor.

There was another issue I watned to ask about. I had the truck in 4Low and tested teh rear diff lock. The rear diff lock light would blink, and not go steady. Is this normal? Does the rear diff lock light not go solid while it's locked, or is it supposed to blink? I put my hand on the diff lock motor, and I could feel it running.

What I found odd about the vehicle is that it was listed as a TRD pickup, but I didn't see a TRD badge on it anywhere. It DOES have the rear diff lock, and I verified that by seeing the diff lock motor on the rear axle, it was also running the BFG Rugged trail P series tires. However, it had tokico shocks on it (I thought TRD had custom bilsteins) and the rear leaf springs looked like they were an inverted arch.
thanks for any responses.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Tigerstripe40 said:
So I test drove a 2002 Taco double cabe with V6, TRD package and supercharger. Asking price was $23,035. w/ 36,000 miles and a clean carfax report.

First I noticed that the S/C was kind of noisey, especially a whine.
Next while getting onto the freeway in high gear but in low RPM's the motor would ping a bit.. I attributed this to the lot boy putting in regular gas when he filled it up. I know this stuff is actually pretty common. Can be fixed with a URD kit and tuning the motor with a wideband O2 sensor.

There was another issue I watned to ask about. I had the truck in 4Low and tested teh rear diff lock. The rear diff lock light would blink, and not go steady. Is this normal? Does the rear diff lock light not go solid while it's locked, or is it supposed to blink? I put my hand on the diff lock motor, and I could feel it running.

What I found odd about the vehicle is that it was listed as a TRD pickup, but I didn't see a TRD badge on it anywhere. It DOES have the rear diff lock, and I verified that by seeing the diff lock motor on the rear axle, it was also running the BFG Rugged trail P series tires. However, it had tokico shocks on it (I thought TRD had custom bilsteins) and the rear leaf springs looked like they were an inverted arch.
thanks for any responses.
Okay first off the price is about right. And the charger sounds like that loud whine you hear. that is normal. IF it was me i would NOT BUY a truck from a guy who was using regular gas in a supercharged tacoma. That shows he 1) doesn't know shit about his truck, which in turn means he could have been causing damage with out knowing it. or 2) he doesn't care about it. but that is just how i am. DOesn't mean the truck isn't good to go.

If the light is only blinking it is NOT locked. It will turn on solid to show it has locked. Try rolling forward a little and turn the steering wheel back and forth. You should hear it lock in. the rear was trying to lock when you felt it running but it had not yet at that time.

they must of took of the badges. The double cabs came with the tokico shocks instead of the blistins. I don't remember why that is the case. If you have the locker that is all you really want out of the package anyways.

BBT03

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
bigblacktoy03 said:
Okay first off the price is about right. And the charger sounds like that loud whine you hear. that is normal. IF it was me i would NOT BUY a truck from a guy who was using regular gas in a supercharged tacoma. That shows he 1) doesn't know shit about his truck, which in turn means he could have been causing damage with out knowing it. or 2) he doesn't care about it. but that is just how i am. DOesn't mean the truck isn't good to go.

If the light is only blinking it is NOT locked. It will turn on solid to show it has locked. Try rolling forward a little and turn the steering wheel back and forth. You should hear it lock in. the rear was trying to lock when you felt it running but it had not yet at that time.

they must of took of the badges. The double cabs came with the tokico shocks instead of the blistins. I don't remember why that is the case. If you have the locker that is all you really want out of the package anyways.

BBT03

Cool. Thats what I thought.
The vehicle was coming from a used car dealer. Not from a private party. The kid they had gas it up was a tool, and got admonished for putting regular into the tank. While I Was there they put the truck on the service lift and drained the fuel tank. Overall I got an excellent impression from the dealer, which is not normally the case...

Now, if I could just justify a $780 per month car payment (well car payment and insurance payment, I am grabbing my anckles on the insurance payment.) :mad:

Thanks!

-James

1 - 3 of 3 Posts