TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after bashing my stock bumper up from everything ranging from trees to trash cans, I finally got some motivation to build a front bumper. I have about 60' of 1.75x.120" DOM tube so I decided to build a tube style bumper with a little bit of a twist. I will add some plate (probably 3/16") into areas to give it a different look and added strength. Here is what I had in mind....

I didnt get much done so far as I only worked on it for about 2 hours. Pretty much just got the stock bumper removed, the front hitch I welded on years ago off and ground down, and the layout for the bumper drawn out on the garage floor. Hopefully tomorrow I will start bending some tube.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I need a new front bumper. I'm interested in seeing how this turns out, as I would imagine that the tubes with plate filler (which probably doesn't need to be as thick as a plate bumper) would be lighter than the plate option?

Keep us posted!

·
Registered
719 Posts
a suggestion

Looks like a neat project. Just a suggestion to consider. The tubing you are using should provide pretty good structural strength if braced properly. the advantage then would be to use thinner plate and save some weight. Plate is heavy and adds up fast. I would go 12 gauge skin with more bracing behind it if needed. You could design in some breaks (bends) in the plate too that would substantially stiffen it. Another option is to weld in tabs or backing strips and bolt in aluminum plates to fill it out. 3/16 aluminum would weigh the same as 14 gauge sheet metal but provide plenty of strength. You could even do a black powder tube structure with bead blasted aluminum inserts :cool:
It's always fun making work for someone else :welder:

Teryx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts