TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my dad came home with a tow truck with his tundra behind it. He tells me the transmission wont get into gear. To let you everyone know, its a automatic. So I get in the truck put the it into gear and it doesnt move...at all. It makes this crackling sound as soon as the engine is on. And yes the engine turns on and is able to rev. I really need help here on these questions....what do you guys think is the main problem(even though its pretty obvious) and will a v6 tacoma transmisson be able to swap into the tundra. Also how much would we be looking at to get it all fixed. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I second checking the linkage adjustment. I had this problem once. Shut off the truck and park on some flat ground. Pull off the linkage from the tranny to the cab. Manually push the linkage on the tranny forward and then back by hand. Return it to the park position and then reattach your linkage.

Tim

·
Registered
773 Posts
Of course look at the linkage first since it's the easiest to check like the other's have mentioned. I don't think that is the problem though. Sloppy linkage usually doesn't make crackling sounds.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I should have saved your guys time and said I checked the linkage earlier, and yea it was moving back and forth. My uncle thinks its the torque converter, and I'm still in the state of shit because now he has to take my truck to work. But thank you all again for the replies, please if and more help can be provided I'm all ears. O yea I forgot to say it is 2wd and no the driveshaft doesnt move.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We brought the truck to my uncles friends shop. He said he'll take a look and let us know whats up. I'll keep you guys updated if anyones interested. But thanks again for the replies.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Yeah dude.. Let us know.. Like I said, Im doing transmission work on mine now. What is normally an 8 hour job has turned into a 2 month project for me. I'm getting to a lot of other things I've been putting done while I'm doing it. I'm waiting on my exhaust to come back from the speed shop (having new 02 flanges welded on and getting a new CAT). Also getting my Valvebody modded to impove shifting performance. I might also get an transmission cooler. My wife wants the garage back!

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Has your dad's tranny had any symptoms of hard shifting? I neither of the previous suggestions give you an answer, drain the pan and check for metal chunks.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats exactly what me and my uncle were discussing. There were no signs of any tranny failure; no leakage, no hard shifting, no gear slippage, just out of no where the car stopped moving and that was it. About the drain and metal chunks thing, thats why we put it in the shop so we dont have to check it ourselves. Thanks again for help everyone, I'll be posting as soon as the dude at the shop gives me a call.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
TaWComA26 said:
Today my dad came home with a tow truck with his tundra behind it. He tells me the transmission wont get into gear. To let you everyone know, its a automatic. So I get in the truck put the it into gear and it doesnt move...at all. It makes this crackling sound as soon as the engine is on. And yes the engine turns on and is able to rev. I really need help here on these questions....what do you guys think is the main problem(even though its pretty obvious) and will a v6 tacoma transmisson be able to swap into the tundra. Also how much would we be looking at to get it all fixed. Thanks in advance for any help.
there were a bunch of bad Tundra ATs some time back. TS had several threads on the problem as well as a couple here...maybe 2yrs ago?
contact Mike, Dyogim for details

there may be a tsb on these or at least Toyota may replace it if you bitch loud and long enough....worth a try.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
My OD Planetary Gears blew. I have a feeling the roller bearing cage was the culprit sending all the bearings into the OD gears. Here's the outcome.

·
Registered
465 Posts
hytenor said:
there were a bunch of bad Tundra ATs some time back. TS had several threads on the problem as well as a couple here...maybe 2yrs ago?
contact Mike, Dyogim for details

there may be a tsb on these or at least Toyota may replace it if you bitch loud and long enough....worth a try.
Toyota replaced my Dad's tranny for free. The truck was not under warrenty. I called corp, and spoke to the dealer. they had the truck fixed in 2 days.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
trd2001 said:
Toyota replaced my Dad's tranny for free. The truck was not under warrenty. I called corp, and spoke to the dealer. they had the truck fixed in 2 days.
I wish my luck was that good. I bitched and moaned with USA Corporate and Japan Corporate, emails back and forth, numerouse calls/visits to multiple dealers. Long story short for a truck with 76K miles on it, they said I was shit out of luck!!!! :mad:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
dyogim said:
I wish my luck was that good. I bitched and moaned with USA Corporate and Japan Corporate, emails back and forth, numerouse calls/visits to multiple dealers. Long story short for a truck with 76K miles on it, they said I was shit out of luck!!!! :mad:
I remember that fiasco. Wasn't yours one of the first in that series of failures? Like the blown ring gears on the '05s, it just took more bad ones to show up and Toyota finally started to fix them.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
hytenor said:
I remember that fiasco. Wasn't yours one of the first in that series of failures? Like the blown ring gears on the '05s, it just took more bad ones to show up and Toyota finally started to fix them.
Yup. 00's had the majority of the failures and it rippled down to the 04's. With the 05's and the introduction to the double cabs, they revamped the tranny and the model number was A750E(2WD) and A750F(4WD). Where the 00-04's used the A340E(2WD) and A340F(4WD). I hope I got those facts straight. :rolleyes:

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
dyogim said:
Yup. 00's had the majority of the failures and it rippled down to the 04's. With the 05's and the introduction to the double cabs, they revamped the tranny and the model number was A750E(2WD) and A750F(4WD). Where the 00-04's used the A340E(2WD) and A340F(4WD). I hope I got those facts straight. :rolleyes:
yea, same tranny in the early Tacos

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So my uncle got a call from the shop saying that the torque converter was fine and the flexplate was good too. I asked if there was any metal particals laying around and he said no. I'm going to the shop to take a look for myself. I'm going to give Toyota a call and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
TaWComA26 said:
So my uncle got a call from the shop saying that the torque converter was fine and the flexplate was good too. I asked if there was any metal particals laying around and he said no. I'm going to the shop to take a look for myself. I'm going to give Toyota a call and see what they have to say.
The pic of the metal shavings is at the bottom of the tranny pan. There are 4 magnets.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts