TTORA Forum banner

"04 Doublecab Tacoma Subwoofer

29K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  941Taco 
#1 ·
Does anyone know of a custom fit subwoofer enclosure that will fit behind my 2004 Tacoma Doublecab back seat? I currently have a custom built enclosure that houses three 6" subs, but I want to go to 8 inch, or even 10 inch if possible (I know this is asking a lot).

#3 ·
With some modifications I made I am putting the final touches on 2 10" behind the seat.
I will provide pics.
Yamataco provided me with some very helpful ideas!

#6 ·

#9 ·
Yes, That was fun.
The stiffining rib was spotwelded every other rib.
It sounds very nice, not as nice as my 2 12" on the backseat but, I'll live.
The best thing, I have my back seats back.

#10 ·
I can't tell from the pics, are those boxes sealed or ported? I've been looking pretty hard at the 12" CVTs to use in a single, sealed box. I'm even thinking of building a few d-cab boxes to sell to a local shop, but I'm not sure what sub to build them for. A single sealed 12 should pound pretty good on 400-500 watts though..

These trucks are a real challenge to get a good sub into, I think its really cool that you were able to use pre-fab sub boxes and keep the back seat useable.

#19 · (Edited)
The control box behind the left rear seat is the towing computer? How hard would it be to relocate? I'm thinking of making a few boxes to sell but my design would need that box moved to work. Mine only uses the space behind the left rear seat though, so the storage behind the big side of the rear seat is still open.

Is that the shallow eD 10"? How does it sound? If I'm doing my math right I can fit two of those in a sealed box in the space I'm talking about^^

#18 ·
What are you talking about exactly? Unless JL is releasing a new stealthbox for the 01 - 04 Double Cabs (which I doubt since the truck is no longer made), this post makes no sense to me.

Now, from what I have heard, JL is making one for the newer double cabs. Whether or not that would fit in the older double cabs is beyond my knowledge.

#20 ·
I love the sound, it doesnt hit as hard as alot of 10's but hits harder than an 8.

The computer would be annoying to relocate but im sure it could be done easily, just needs the wiring extended ect.

they need like .3 cuft of airspace so I bet you could easily fit 2 in there, Im running it off like 300 amps, I dont think it would be able to handle more. Doesn't sound like it at least.

#21 ·
As the originator of this thread, I thought I would follow up at the 9 month mark with my current solution. I did a lot of research. I didn't want six inchers, no way no how. I didn't want shallow mounts either- they just can't take the pounding I wish to inflict upon my sound system. I ended up going with a Rockford Fosgate P2 10 inch sub in a sealed box that sits on the middle of the back seat. I can still seat two grown men on either side with room to buckle in. The box cost all of $50 at Circuit city, and is 11" x 12" x 15" and the sub fires upward. It sounds AWESOME! Hits real deep, and tight. I never would have went with sixers in the first place if I knew. Total cost was less than $200.:)

Reactions: 941Taco
#23 ·
I'll see if I can't take a pic or two for ya. Twice now I have had adults in the back seat on either side of this box, and both said it was fine. My kids (a ten year old, and a three year old in a car seat) sit on either side all the time. Seems to be a decent sound solution for now.
Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.