TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a custom fit subwoofer enclosure that will fit behind my 2004 Tacoma Doublecab back seat? I currently have a custom built enclosure that houses three 6" subs, but I want to go to 8 inch, or even 10 inch if possible (I know this is asking a lot).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Does anyone know of a custom fit subwoofer enclosure that will fit behind my 2004 Tacoma Doublecab back seat? I currently have a custom built enclosure that houses three 6" subs, but I want to go to 8 inch, or even 10 inch if possible (I know this is asking a lot).
With some modifications I made I am putting the final touches on 2 10" behind the seat.
I will provide pics.
Yamataco provided me with some very helpful ideas!

·
Registered
86 Posts
With some modifications I made I am putting the final touches on 2 10" behind the seat.
I will provide pics.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,202 Posts
The only dimensions I would use for a box is how far out it could go.

Then, degisn your airspace accoring to your specific sub by making it wider or narrower.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yes, That was fun.
The stiffining rib was spotwelded every other rib.
It sounds very nice, not as nice as my 2 12" on the backseat but, I'll live.
The best thing, I have my back seats back.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Yes, That was fun.
The stiffining rib was spotwelded every other rib.
It sounds very nice, not as nice as my 2 12" on the backseat but, I'll live.
The best thing, I have my back seats back.
I can't tell from the pics, are those boxes sealed or ported? I've been looking pretty hard at the 12" CVTs to use in a single, sealed box. I'm even thinking of building a few d-cab boxes to sell to a local shop, but I'm not sure what sub to build them for. A single sealed 12 should pound pretty good on 400-500 watts though..

These trucks are a real challenge to get a good sub into, I think its really cool that you were able to use pre-fab sub boxes and keep the back seat useable.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I will provide pics.
Are you having a problem with the excursion of the woofer causing the cone to hit the metal on your seat back? I noticed that to be a problem in my very first sub box I built for my double cab. When I built my second box, I had to use panels to protect the sub (and a grill).

Another thing I noticed on my first box design was how the seat would completely stifle the sub when put back into position. Again, making the panels around the sub corrected that too.

-Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can't tell from the pics, are those boxes sealed or ported? I've been looking pretty hard at the 12" CVTs to use in a single, sealed box. I'm even thinking of building a few d-cab boxes to sell to a local shop, but I'm not sure what sub to build them for. A single sealed 12 should pound pretty good on 400-500 watts though..

These trucks are a real challenge to get a good sub into, I think its really cool that you were able to use pre-fab sub boxes and keep the back seat useable.
It is a TCVT10 4ohm sealed, Crutchfield has them for 240$ delivered.
I used that for a test fit, after I deemed it would fit, I returned and added 30$ extra and bought 2 of them off of ebay. Total 270$ for 2 delivered with 1 yr warranty.

Stroonzo:
I don't appear to be having a problem with the excursion. I viewed 1 sub at a time behind the seat and once you start to put the seat back you see the speaker gets more space. (hard to explain).
I am getting some stiffling of the sound, thats why I put in 2 subs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Stroonzo:
I don't appear to be having a problem with the excursion. I viewed 1 sub at a time behind the seat and once you start to put the seat back you see the speaker gets more space. (hard to explain).
I am getting some stiffling of the sound, thats why I put in 2 subs.
That's good to hear. I may have had a harder time since I kept my box within the limits of the channel running across the back wall. I had to keep the box very short and mount the sub very low.

The only major disadvantage I see on your modification to your truck is that you have removed part of the child safety restraint system for forward facing car seats. That wasn't an option for me since I have a 1 year old. I hope someone doesn't buy your truck down the line only to realize it is missing :(.

Did you have to remove the lower LATCH system as well?

-Jeff

·
Registered
86 Posts
That's good to hear. I may have had a harder time since I kept my box within the limits of the channel running across the back wall. I had to keep the box very short and mount the sub very low.

The only major disadvantage I see on your modification to your truck is that you have removed part of the child safety restraint system for forward facing car seats. That wasn't an option for me since I have a 1 year old. I hope someone doesn't buy your truck down the line only to realize it is missing :(.

Did you have to remove the lower LATCH system as well?

-Jeff
The lower latch is gone and my kid is 7 so I don't need the child latch.
I plan on keeping this truck for quite awhile.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I also Still have my tools and towing computer with the way I made it, all 3/4inch mdf, and Sound proofed the back wall below the bar. Still gets a tad bit muddy sounding when I get the volume way up there due to the grill vibrating against the ribs on the seat.

·
Registered
138 Posts
JL Stealth box, cant even see it in the truck. a little on the expensive side but its the best 4 sure.
What are you talking about exactly? Unless JL is releasing a new stealthbox for the 01 - 04 Double Cabs (which I doubt since the truck is no longer made), this post makes no sense to me.

Now, from what I have heard, JL is making one for the newer double cabs. Whether or not that would fit in the older double cabs is beyond my knowledge.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also Still have my tools and towing computer with the way I made it, all 3/4inch mdf, and Sound proofed the back wall below the bar. Still gets a tad bit muddy sounding when I get the volume way up there due to the grill vibrating against the ribs on the seat.
The control box behind the left rear seat is the towing computer? How hard would it be to relocate? I'm thinking of making a few boxes to sell but my design would need that box moved to work. Mine only uses the space behind the left rear seat though, so the storage behind the big side of the rear seat is still open.

Is that the shallow eD 10"? How does it sound? If I'm doing my math right I can fit two of those in a sealed box in the space I'm talking about^^

·
Registered
22 Posts
I love the sound, it doesnt hit as hard as alot of 10's but hits harder than an 8.

The computer would be annoying to relocate but im sure it could be done easily, just needs the wiring extended ect.

they need like .3 cuft of airspace so I bet you could easily fit 2 in there, Im running it off like 300 amps, I dont think it would be able to handle more. Doesn't sound like it at least.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts