TTORA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to easily adjust the position of the bolts/latches on the tailgate of an 01-04 Tacoma?

My latches don't hit correctly on the striker. They are hitting on the flat part of it rather than the angled part, so it just bangs against the striker without closing. I have to lift the handle to close the tailgate. I was looking at it closer yesterday and the tailgate body line spacing is pretty even along both sides of the bed/gate. If I pull the handle up just a bit it retracts the bolts/latches about 1/8" which is enough to get it to close as it should. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me if there's any adjustment mechanism under the plastic tailgate cover so that when the handle is in the resting position the latches will be retracted a bit less than they currently are?

There don't appear to be any shims installed on the strikers that I can remove to move them outward either.

Thanks!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I figured out a way to fix it. Taking the tailgate apart and looking at the inner guts of the assembly I didn't see any formal way to adjust the throw on the lock bolts/latches but I was able to adjust it by bending the rods on each side slightly more than their original bend angle. I added just a small degree of band to each side so that the strikers are not fully extended on each side and it now works perfectly.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,586 Posts
I had a similar problem with my tailgate latches. The plastic isolator around the latch wore out and caused the latch to be out of alignment and no longer slide properly. Had to buy a whole new latch assembly, but that fixed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts