TTORA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, I'm looking at getting an 05+ 4 banger prerunner. I'm hoping to do some bolt-on mods(or other cheap mods) to gain some more power without killing mileage or anything of that sort. I live in Florida. I'm not looking to tow 5000 pounds or anything like that.

Please dont just tell me to get a v6. I can't afford the 18mpg it gives.

I race dirt bikes and can tell you everything about them but know pretty much nothing(comparatively) about trucks so treat me like the new guy I am.
Thanks all

·
Registered
418 Posts
you could always get an aftermarket air filter, chip, programmer, deckplate mod but i dont think it really works, omm higher gears if u don't do any off-roading or towing. Keep your foot off the gas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The only things I'll be towing will be a 14 ft jon boat and a motorcycle trailer w/ a couple of bikes. "offroading" will be pretty much limited to soft sand roads at the most. I'm not in a position to do anything crazy.

·
Registered
172 Posts
as mentioned, true flow air filter, header, good flowing exhaust. I'm going to bypass the deckplate mod because i've read it raises intake temps big time. I can't see it really giving you that much power if it raises the temp that much.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get the V6, my '07 pre 2.7 with about 2k on it now gets around 20mpg city and 22 hgwy. That's 80mph highway's in Charlotte, nc. Pretty flat but fast driving down here. Truck already has a decent header on it and a high performance dry airfilter may get you 1-2 ponies, only thing i did to mine was pull the extra emissions airfilter in the airbox out(charcoal and very restrictive). Drive one at highway speed and see if you are happy with it, if not, get the v6. it is a very high quality/reliable 4 cyl. that has just enough power to get around. I can really feel the difference when a/c is on, take that into consideration also.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think the 2005 + Prerunner came with anything other than the V6? I didn't know it was even an option in the 2.7????:confused:

·
Registered
912 Posts
I put a k&n fipk in mine and didn't really notice any change ($300), I say just get a nice k&n or other stock replacment filter (about $50) and a more free flowing exhaust. These four bangers have decent horsepower and 4:10 gears stock. Check out URD's short throw shifter, other than that not much available. No headers available yet...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ricknzep: I can't afford the gas for a v6 unless you have real world driving numbers in the area of 22 mpg average. I live in Florida so I promise it's even flatter than charlotte. Highway speeds here average 80-85mph :D I don't drive the highway all that much but I'm about to move to Jacksonville to go to college so that might change things a little. I've never really thought about A/C having that much impact on the performance of an engine. Living in FL, A/C during the 100* summers with humidity off the charts is quite necessary unless you want a sweat bath.

butchhusky: the prerunners come standard with a 4cyl.

rossco: i'll look into the header/exaust set up.

Happy: seems like from everything Ive read the K&N stuff doesn't do all that much.

jaemory: are chips really effective? How do they impact the characteristics of the engine?(hp, mileage, pickup, etc)

Thanks all

·
Registered
60 Posts
Like is said before-test drive one on the highway-with a/c on. The truck already has a 4 into 1 decent looking header on it from the factory, i don't think an aftermarket piece would change much. The stainless steel exhaust is a nice also, the muffler looks plenty big enough for a 4 cyl. It may be a little restrictive, so you could try that. The 2.7 is a large 4 cyl. with enough power to get around, but if you are into horsepower you will be dissapointed. At least you are making an educated decision. Good luck!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't care about being able to light up the tires at 30mph lol. I just want to have power when needed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
get the tornado fuel saver. its cheap and it works.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
The 4-Cylinder trucks are fine for getting themselves around(not for towing) and the motor is very reliable.... but why buy the 4-cylinder to save money on gas, and then go spend that monetary savings immediately on mods that aren't going to yield noticeable gains?

Don't get me wrong.. I love modding cars and trucks, but it's a hobby... if you're trying to save money, leave it stock for now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
partyman: because i plan on owning the truck for a long time and i want it work satisfactorily. the point of this thread was to see if there was anything worthwhile to do to it that would work and be cost effective. you make an excellent point.

Now, with gas just shy of $3 I REALLY cant afford a v6.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts