TTORA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who out there has the 05 4 banger? What do you think? I am considering getting one but would like to know from those that have them how they perform in the real world. My 20 minute test drive left me with mixed feelings. Plenty of power around town and on the flat intertate but what about hills and altitude. :confused:
any imput would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
No idea on altitude, i'm pretty much at sea level, but I had 3 V-6 tacomas previously and I bought a 4cyl 05 extracab 4x4 last month. The 4 cyl has plenty of power for everyday driving, I commute 90 miles a day in mine. If you plan on larger tires, I would certainly opt for a V-6. But this truck is going to stay relatively stock. I have my FJ40 to play with. The 4 cyl actually feels like it accelerates up to 60 or so just as quick as my old V-6 did, but that truck was on 33's. It will easily hold it's speed without downshifting up long hills at 70-75 no problem. And it can actually accelerate up hills to pass traffic at these speeds when you drop into 4th. I can't say enough good things about this truck, it's exactly what I needed. With the exception of the crappy stock tires. I think I'll be replacing those with either BFG's or revos fairly soon. And it really does get 22-23mpg consistantly. It's nice to have a daily driver with a transfer case again, even if it is activated by a switch.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Owyhee said:
Who out there has the 05 4 banger? What do you think? I am considering getting one but would like to know from those that have them how they perform in the real world. My 20 minute test drive left me with mixed feelings. Plenty of power around town and on the flat intertate but what about hills and altitude. :confused:
any imput would be greatly appreciated.
I have an 05 regular cab,4X4, 5 speed. I love the truck. It is just what I wanted. I some times carry loads of gravel and loads of top soil and other stuff like that. I have enough power to be satisfied. I haven't been at any altitude higher than Las Vegas(2400 ft. I believe) with the truck, so I don't know how it would be at a higher altitude. But I have pulled a load of gravel 1/2 to 3/4s of a ton up a long hill here in town on the belt way and I had no problem at all. I was very pleased with the trucks ability to pull the load up the hill at highway speeds. I could keep right up with traffic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts