TTORA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a speedway blue 05 DC TRD Off Road tow package 4.0 5 speed auto 19k on it. I traded it for my 05 reg cab 4x4 5 speed man. First off, I did do a few searches for info on what I want to know. The posts I found were filled with so much BS about other things There were hard to find what I'm looking for.

1. Were can I go to use my vin and figure out When/Where mine was built? 2.How do I know if my e-locker 3rd member is a Jap unit or the shity Mexican one every body has been replacing?
3. What else are some other common problems with my truck to look for?
4. What grears do I have on a tow package?

Thanks for your info and comments
I loved my little black Taco, Now with having my son just born it was time to upgrade:D

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just bought a speedway blue 05 DC TRD Off Road tow package 4.0 5 speed auto 19k on it. I traded it for my 05 reg cab 4x4 5 speed man. First off, I did do a few searches for info on what I want to know. The posts I found were filled with so much BS about other things There were hard to find what I'm looking for.

1. Were can I go to use my vin and figure out When/Where mine was built? 2.How do I know if my locker is a Jap unit or the shity Mexican one every body has been replacing?
3. What else are some other common problems with my truck to look for?
4. What grears do I have on a tow package?

Thanks for your info and comments
I loved my little black Taco, Now with having my son just born it was time to upgrade:D

1. I'm pretty sure the build date is on the sticker inside the door jam. Go here for a VIN breakdown: http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-vin-codes
I think all Double Cabs are built in California.
2. Not sure there is a Japanese version and a Mexican version.
3. Go to http://www.toyotanation.com and look at the TSB list.
4. The gearing is the same for trucks w/ and w/o tow packages. Tow package has supplementary engine oil and transmission coolers, high output alternator and battery, hitch and hitch wiring.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1. I'm pretty sure the build date is on the sticker inside the door jam. Go here for a VIN breakdown: http://www.answers.com/topic/toyota-vin-codes
I think all Double Cabs are built in California.
2. Not sure there is a Japanese version and a Mexican version.
3. Go to http://www.toyotanation.com and look at the TSB list.
4. The gearing is the same for trucks w/ and w/o tow packages. Tow package has supplementary engine oil and transmission coolers, high output alternator and battery, hitch and hitch wiring.
Thanks bro, That vin code site did'nt match up but 2 positons the rest were way off?

·
Registered
204 Posts
keep an eye on the front diff axle seals as mine were replaced under warranty

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good stuff keep it comming!:)

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
I believe all of the 05 Off Road package 4wd with the locker had the same diff in the back. If your gear breaks, you will have to fight to get it fixed. It has been done though, I have paperwork to prove it :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I believe all of the 05 Off Road package 4wd with the locker had the same diff in the back. If your gear breaks, you will have to fight to get it fixed. It has been done though, I have paperwork to prove it :D
I'm friends with the guy who owns the dealership, I got both my Tacoma's from. He has not had any one claim this type of fault "yet". After I showed him the this web site, he told me if there is a problem he'd take care of it asap. We'd just like to know what the unit looks like that Toyota replaces it with? And what's the differance between the two.

·
TTORA SoCal
1,976 Posts
Didn't get a good side view of the old one, but here is the old one...

And here is the new one

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the pic but get a close up of the production tag

Mine has got the jap letters, with the no#212 on it. Is there anything else on the No#'s tag, that is different than the original. Is there a series no# to look for on the tag, that tells you if it's the shit unit or is it the good unit. I read that the first production runs of this unit were crap, and have failed under light use. I did a search and all I found is that they had them replaced with the "Jap" made unit vs the "mexican" made unit. What No#'s on the tag tell which is which. What where the prodution dates in 05 where this was corrected? ECT. ECT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts