TTORA Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I dented my driveshaft really good rockcrawling (inexperience :D ) I got referred to a local shop that fixed it pretty fast and for a good price. $260

I know a few guys have done a one piece. Mojavegold and others. Since everybodys initial posts I havent heard how they are holding up.

I was told by my shop not to got to a one piece since I would put too much stress on my transfer case. I was also told that they didnt recomend going much over stock in driveshaft wall thickness due to transfer case problems again. So I went a little thicker than stock but not much. Any other opinions??

They do tons of custom stuff and arent afraid of reinventing the wheel so I dont think thats the case.

From everybody so far with one-pieces please chime in and give your input
If there are no issues I might make this a spare and have a one piece made. Is a Tom Woods driveshaft really worth the extra coin?? I also picked up extra u-joints as spares just in case.

Sorry for the novel just trying to be through.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I just got back from Mojave and wheeled my truck pretty hard and had no issues with the one piece. I don't know what the shop is telling you about added t-case stress, or wall thickness issues. IMO that t-case doesn't care what you hook up to it, as long as it doesn't vibe and doesn't weight 100 pounds. Extra wall thickness is required to keep the long shaft from whipping at freeway speeds. IMO $260 was pretty steep for changing out 1 piece of tubing in your back shaft section and re-balancing it. I got my entire 1 piece built for $200 and they did the same thing, re-used my factory flanges. Is the one piece worth it in the long run? I don't know. You lose a little bit of ground clearance and that could be fatal for the rock guys. But if you drop the carrier bearing to compensate for the angle issues, you lose ground clearance also. It is a double edged sword. Maybe putting a double cardan at the front of the back section might be a better option for you and the rock crawlers. It would be nice if Toyota would step up to the plate and fix this issue. Mine vibed bone stock!! IMO, if you lift it, be prepared to pay the piper. Good luck bud.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. The vibration is not that big a deal now just annoying. It still vibes after I got the new driveshaft so I might be in the same boat as everybody else. Time will tell.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
10-4 same shit different day. Hope you get rid of the vibes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts