TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an arb bull bar and winch on my 2005 access cab and the front sits a little lower than stock. is this ok or do i need to upgrade the suspension? thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
abbott said:
i have an arb bull bar and winch on my 2005 access cab and the front sits a little lower than stock. is this ok or do i need to upgrade the suspension? thanks in advance for any help.

well the weight of the bull bar is what is making your front end sag.... so yes if you want it to be stock height or more upgrade the suspension.

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
abbott said:
gotta upgrade the sus

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
joel said:
:D and so it begins
yup, that first mod only leads to 15 gazillion more and $10000000000000000 more dollars, LOL

bet to leave these damn things stock and save tons of cash and heartache :p

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'd do the old man emu suspension system they're owned by arb, designed for the arby's weight in mind.

And yes it's only the beginning That's what I said about my rig when I got it :rolleyes: "Oh I'm only going to a mild lift" Now look what happened!

Note to self "Thou shalt not midly modify, go all the way :p "

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Thunderwolfe said:
I'd do the old man emu suspension system they're owned by arb, designed for the arby's weight in mind.

And yes it's only the beginning That's what I said about my rig when I got it :rolleyes: "Oh I'm only going to a mild lift" Now look what happened!

OME has been said and proven inadequate for the extra weight of an aftermarket front bumper. Save the money and go with a set of adjustable coilovers. Trust me, I've been there and it didn't work out. But don't get me wrong though, they will work for a while but over time and with the extra abuse of the bumper, gravity will take its toll.

·
Registered
235 Posts
joel said:
OME has been said and proven inadequate for the extra weight of an aftermarket front bumper. Save the money and go with a set of adjustable coilovers. Trust me, I've been there and it didn't work out. But don't get me wrong though, they will work for a while but over time and with the extra abuse of the bumper, gravity will take its toll.
You are wrong on this statement with regards to the 05's. I have the 886's on mine with a 9k winch in the bullbar. The coils still retain 2.5-2.75 lift over stock. I wheel mine well and cycle the suspension to its limits. I have had no problems with it either. On the older trucks this may be the case but there are 3 options 884,885,886. I had the 885's and it leveled the truck out with the bullbar. Now with the 886's and rear leaves I am 2.5-2.75 over stock with a raked look still.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mikey05 said:
You are wrong on this statement with regards to the 05's. I have the 886's on mine with a 9k winch in the bullbar. The coils still retain 2.5-2.75 lift over stock. I wheel mine well and cycle the suspension to its limits. I have had no problems with it either. On the older trucks this may be the case but there are 3 options 884,885,886. I had the 885's and it leveled the truck out with the bullbar. Now with the 886's and rear leaves I am 2.5-2.75 over stock with a raked look still.
What size tires are you running with that setup?

·
Going John Galt
31,845 Posts
Thunderwolfe said:

well...not exactly ;) the OME coils for the older Tacos can't handle the weight at all...despite ARB's advertizements.

as for the new Tacos, contact Chris with trdparts4u.com about the different coils that are available for your truck. I know he has a few rigs out there who have installed the varrious '05 coils with heavy winch/bumpers so can give you a good evaluation of them.

but...the best bet is still going with adjustable coilovers in the first place.

·
Registered
235 Posts
abbott said:
What size tires are you running with that setup?
I am currently running 265/75/16 dueler revo at's. I have not upgraded tires since they have done extremely well in the northwest. I would like to get something bigger but I never could justify shelling out the money when what I have works just fine offroad.

I spoke to the OME coil designer for the 886 when he was her in Seattle at ARB. I had just put them on my 05 and we cycled my suspension and they measured it as well. The setup has surprised me more than once and also surprised others at how well it does offroad.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
OME has 2 coils for the 05+, and 3 that work. 885 and 886 are designed and marketed as taco coils. The 885 (500 in/lbs) is a moderate spring rate, and in theory gives 1.75" lift, the 886 (660 in/lbs) is much stiffer, designed for winch and bumper, for 1.75" lift. The 884 is a 4runner spring that works on the tacos, it has the same spring rate as the 885, but a 10mm lower free height. All the OME springs provide more than the advertised lift.

If you want a stock ride height, and are not moding the rear I would get the 885's and see where they put you, should be like stock or level... be sure to break them in after installing by cycling the suspension on a trail, they should sag about .5" after install..

The 95-04 taco OME springs were all 500 in/lbs.. and the common 882 was not even designed for tacos, but for the prado...

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Mikey05 said:
But only time will tell ;) Let’s talk in a bit and you might see what I mean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts