TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received a new brochure on the '05 Frontier with all new options. Apparently they're trying to catch Toyota. The new offroad packages (NISMO) offer rear electric locker, hill descent assist, some kind of all wheel limited slip(?), 265/75R16's (32's), a 265 HP engine, factory spray in bedliner with multiple attachment points, and ROUND fender flares instead of that chevy colorado look on the '05 Tacomas.

Granted it's still a Nissan, but they may be on to something here. Supposedly they will be (or are) out in the lots this month. I'll be keeping my '01, but has anyone seen one, or compared to the Taco's.

Flame away!

·
Registered
469 Posts
I haven't looked at the new ones, but if they're like the old hardbody Nissans, everything but the steering wheel, gas pedal, and engine may break, but you just can't stop the things. I like my Taco much better, because not only do they last a long time, the other things (like interior, etc) last a while too.

·
Registered
467 Posts
i had a 98 and a 2002 and both were lemons! I will NEVER buy another Nissan product again.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have owned 3 nissan trucks. 85 with 385K on orginal engine. 91 with 220K on the orginal engine and a 95. All were great trucks. They all lasted very well, but they were much quicker to develope rattels and such.

My uncle bought a Titan and its a very nice rig, dont know how it will last.

Later,

Chris

·
Registered
467 Posts
i agree that the Hardbody's were good ,except for their paint , but the 98's and on are P.O.S's

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looked at one today, Didn't like the dash....looked cheap, rear seating area is smaller than the tacoma. I would buy the Titan though.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I don't know if your interested in the doubl cab, but the back of the 05 Tacoma double cab is big enough for 2 full sized adults, some even claim it will handily hold 3 in the back.

According to all the tests in the magazines, the break over angle on the Nissan Nismo isn't as good as the Tacoma, the Tacoma shock valving and spring rates are better suited for off roading than the Nissan, also the gearing is 3:36(Nissan) vs 3:73 (tacoma). These things are mentioned independently in several different reviews. The general consensus among those whom have thrashed both, at this point, is that the Nissan is catching up, but still not quite in the same league as the Tacoma in the off road tests.

If the plan is to leave it stock, the Tacoma is going to better suited off road.

·
Banned
0 Posts
AZ05Taco said:
Looked at one today, Didn't like the dash....looked cheap, rear seating area is smaller than the tacoma. I would buy the Titan though.
Incorrect. Please check the specs again my friend. Looks to me the Frontier is overall a bigger truck inside.

Frontier CrewCab

1st Row

40.0” (1016.7mm)

Head Room

Shoulder Room

58.3” (1480.5mm)

Hip Room

55.6” (1411.6mm)

Leg Room

42.4” (1076.4mm)

2nd Row

38.7” (982.5mm)

Head Room

Shoulder Room

58.3” (1480.8mm)

Hip Room

58.0” (1472.8mm)

Leg Room

33.6” (854mm)

Interior Volume

1st Row

57.2 cu. ft.

2nd Row

38.8 cu. ft.

Total Volume

101.0 cu. ft.

Toyota Doublecab 05 Below:

Interior
Front Head Room: 40.1 in. Front Hip Room: 53.6 in.
Front Shoulder Room: 57.7 in. Rear Head Room: 38.5 in.
Rear Shoulder Room: 59.3 in. Rear Hip Room: 55.2 in.
Front Leg Room: 41.7 in. Rear Leg Room: 32.6 in.
Maximum Seating: 5

·
Banned
0 Posts
WallyP226 said:
I don't know if your interested in the doubl cab, but the back of the 05 Tacoma double cab is big enough for 2 full sized adults, some even claim it will handily hold 3 in the back.

According to all the tests in the magazines, the break over angle on the Nissan Nismo isn't as good as the Tacoma, the Tacoma shock valving and spring rates are better suited for off roading than the Nissan, also the gearing is 3:36(Nissan) vs 3:73 (tacoma). These things are mentioned independently in several different reviews. The general consensus among those whom have thrashed both, at this point, is that the Nissan is catching up, but still not quite in the same league as the Tacoma in the off road tests.

If the plan is to leave it stock, the Tacoma is going to better suited off road.
I personally wouldn't say this until a actual roadtest with the new frontier happens. The frontier has a better frame design than the Toyota, a better engine, a better drivetrain. The older frontiers are great for off-road use. Seen many in action and seen many stay up with the Toyotas. On the other hand I do see a good handful of Toyotas snapping axles. So lets just wait and see what happens.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
truckman said:
I personally wouldn't say this until a actual roadtest with the new frontier happens. The frontier has a better frame design than the Toyota, a better engine, a better drivetrain. The older frontiers are great for off-road use. Seen many in action and seen many stay up with the Toyotas. On the other hand I do see a good handful of Toyotas snapping axles. So lets just wait and see what happens.
I am not dogging the Nissan, or anybody who wants to buy one. What I am trying to say is that those whom have driven both ALL echo the same sentiments and opinions. Read the latest in Peteren's Feb 4Wheel & Off Road, it again implys the same sentaments that other expert testers have made over the last several months.

If you think your opinion tops multiple experts, go for it, your certainly entitled to have your own opinion. If you think a Nissan is the way to go, go for it, no skin off my nose. I don't have to drive it or deal with it. :)

Wally

·
Banned
0 Posts
Give me a link Wally and I will read it. I tried to search for them on the web and can't find them. Don't forget you only posted your opinion. Until all the major magazines do the test, I wouldn't find anything a hard fact yet.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Truckman,

The only one I know of on line is the 4 Wheel & Off Road comparison from last year, so I don't know if its going to help you out much in regards to "on line" sources.

If you go to the B-Daltons, Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, take a second and look at the latest issue of Petersen's 4Wheel & Off Road, Febuary 2005 issue it lists the facts and impressions of several drivers on and off road. The October 2004 issue of Four Wheeler also rates the Nissan Nismo as not as refined as the Tacoma in a head to head trail, road, sand thrashings. I can't remember the Car and Driver month ie 2004, it also echos similar opinions after driving both. I have read other reviews of the two in comparison and they too echoed the same opinions but I don't remember where I read nor found it important at the time, my apologies for remembering just a couple of resources.

BTW I don't even bother with reading the "my seat wasn't bolstered enough" or the "radio knob wasn't in a good spot" type of junk, thats the stuff the hoyty toyty SUV crowd complains about not me.

·
Banned
0 Posts
There is a problem here. The truck wasn't even released or built till this month. So they were comparing the old Frontier to the new Tacoma. Wait till they compare the new Frontier which hasn't happened yet.

WallyP226 said:
Truckman,

The only one I know of on line is the 4 Wheel & Off Road comparison from last year, so I don't know if its going to help you out much in regards to "on line" sources.

If you go to the B-Daltons, Wal-Mart, Barnes and Noble, take a second and look at the latest issue of Petersen's 4Wheel & Off Road, Febuary 2005 issue it lists the facts and impressions of several drivers on and off road. The October 2004 issue of Four Wheeler also rates the Nissan Nismo as not as refined as the Tacoma in a head to head trail, road, sand thrashings. I can't remember the Car and Driver month ie 2004, it also echos similar opinions after driving both. I have read other reviews of the two in comparison and they too echoed the same opinions but I don't remember where I read nor found it important at the time, my apologies for remembering just a couple of resources.

BTW I don't even bother with reading the "my seat wasn't bolstered enough" or the "radio knob wasn't in a good spot" type of junk, thats the stuff the hoyty toyty SUV crowd complains about not me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
When I got my windows tinted on my 05 tacoma, the guy looked at the bed of my truck pretty hard, then gave the material his approval. He also sprays in bed liners. He told me that he went to the nissan dealership and checked out their new bed that has a factory option spray in liner. He said he cut it with his pocket knife. Didn't even need a mis-matched camper top. Nissan will have fun with their beds!!! The dealer also said that they had a guy bringing one in because it had torn. (Titan)

·
Banned
0 Posts
smokintacoma said:
When I got my windows tinted on my 05 tacoma, the guy looked at the bed of my truck pretty hard, then gave the material his approval. He also sprays in bed liners. He told me that he went to the nissan dealership and checked out their new bed that has a factory option spray in liner. He said he cut it with his pocket knife. Didn't even need a mis-matched camper top. Nissan will have fun with their beds!!! The dealer also said that they had a guy bringing one in because it had torn. (Titan)
Oh thats funny. There are no complaints on the Liner of the Titan but I see on other forums people bitching about the one on the Tacoma.

Sorry to say, the Titan can't be compared to the Tacoma, its a much better truck.

The liners in the Titan don't crack either unlike the Tacomas so far.

Oh wait, Toyota copied Nissan too with the rails and liner. The Titan has been out over a year now, and no complaints about the bed liner.

·
Banned
0 Posts
From one of the few reviews that praised the Frontier over the Tacoma here is the quote:

How does the 2005 Nissan Frontier match up with the Tacoma? It’s close – very close. The Frontier has a more powerful engine, has greater interior space and looks more mature. The Tacoma will likely offer more configurations. It will probably come down to personal preference, price and equipment

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
truckman said:
There is a problem here. The truck wasn't even released or built till this month. So they were comparing the old Frontier to the new Tacoma. Wait till they compare the new Frontier which hasn't happened yet.
I read several articles, I gave you two died in the wool off road mag sources to check out, if you can't accept that, again no skin off my nose, go buy a Nissan and be done with it. Get on with life and enjoy wheeling it.

Wally

·
Registered
20 Posts
WallyP226 said:
I read several articles, I gave you two died in the wool off road mag sources to check out, if you can't accept that, again no skin off my nose, go buy a Nissan and be done with it. Get on with life and enjoy wheeling it.

Wally
Hey wally just so you know who truckman is , he goes by the user name of TiTan_TX on on this board,

http://www.titantalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19637

He has been banned at several sites already,one of which was FTE, for causing so many threads to get locked, and on dodge talk where several users got banned argueing with him. He will not ever agree on any reasonable debate.

right now TT has got a huge problem with trolls because of users like him.

This is just a heads up on a troll , I'm not here for a flaming session, just to put shot of water on a fire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts