TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright basically I was being an idiot with my 05 Prerunner and was drifting in the rain with the e-locker engaged. I am well aware that it is not meant to be driven over 7mph.... but that doesnt matter now. Basically i was sliding around having fun with the e-brake and e-locker engaged. Well this lasted about 10 min. Then suddenly when I hit the e-brake one last time to initiate the slide, the rear end went boom! and clanked and i stuttered to a stop. Probably the loudest most horrifying sound you could ask for :eek: So I disengaged the e-locker, and went to slowly slowly coast away hoping that I could get home. I could get about 10ft. and the rear end would hickup and stutter, then another 10ft. and another stutter. So I called it a day and proceeded to call a tow truck. Does anyone have any possible idea what could be broken??? Im thinking broken gear, or just something to do with the e-locker, but thats why I am asking to all!
Any help is much appreciated

·
Registered
106 Posts
Your rear end is probably shot. The thing is, that locker can handle up to atleast 35 mph. I have had all 4 tires spinning when I slid off the road last year. The difference between what I was doing and you were doing was that I was trying to go straight. Lockers and locked rear ends do not turning. Believe it or not, that drifting is trying to turn your tires at different speeds. Lets just hope that the ring is the only thing that went. You will be paying for it now. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
395 Posts
what i don't understand is why you felt you needed to use the e-brake to initiate slides in the rain with the locker engaged. especially in a truck with a fairly light rear end. :)

-Mike

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
You are a dumbass, but it's not the end of the world. More than likely you just toasted your ring and pinion. W/ ANY luck, your e-locker may be ok. If it's under warranty still(which I doubt it is b/c of the year model) take it to a dealer and make something up that's halfway believable.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
what i don't understand is why you felt you needed to use the e-brake to initiate slides in the rain with the locker engaged. especially in a truck with a fairly light rear end. :)

-Mike
b/c that's how a dumbass would do it... he was just following through ;)

·
Registered
5,955 Posts
Don't tell the dealer ANYTHING....they have to PROVE what happened..they should cover it under the 5 yr 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. It's slow time of the year for techs..we're looking really hard for anything to repair right now, especially under warranty. I get 3.2 hours to swap in a new diff that takes me a 1/2 hour to do.

Too bad I'm in Texas, Ya'll would keep me busy:D

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
if they're 3.73's and you cant get the dealer to replace them, ive had a set laying around for over a year ill give to ya dirt cheap....i think 14,000 miles were on them before i went to 4.56's.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hope things work out in the end

Its one of those lessons on what NOT to do

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HA yes I know this was a dumbass move, I am not denying that... but hey I'm the one that has to pay for it :D And yea the truck is no longer under warranty, or else I would already be at the dealer with some story made up. So you guys are feeling ring and pinion?.. Any guesses on how much $ I am looking at here?

And for the record... I know for a fact everything would be fine right now if I wasn't using e-brake - lesson learned

·
Registered
667 Posts
i think it would be cheaper to go get a third member from a junkyard... and put the locker in the new housing... a new r&p is only like 150-200 plus install which is another 150-200... i'm not sure what a third from a junkyard would be though

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
And for the record... I know for a fact everything would be fine right now if I wouldn't have been trying to drift my stupid ass fucking truck in the first place - lesson learned
fixed.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
That line made my day....and even defined some of the people I was with. So if you don't mind....I'm putting that in my sig.
You're very welcome. :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
lesson here.

if you want to drift, buy a TRD SPORT

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Alright so I'm pretty sure its the ring gear. My plan as of now is to order a complete 3rd member equipped with a Detroit locker and 4.56 gears. Anyone have anything to say about the Detroit?

·
Registered
632 Posts
maybe not the best option to be running on the street. You may want to look into using the toy locker or an ARB

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have just discovered that since I have the Prerunner model, with the e-locker, I have a different 3rd member than all other Tacoma's.. I cannot run any sort of other locker in this axle. I have been told that it simply won't fit. Even removing everything regarding the e-locker, it still won't work. If I want to run any locker at all, my option is to find a complete axle from a yard, that is not equipped with the e-locker, and swap it. :confused:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts