TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there an application for a safari rack for the roof of the new tacomas? you know the ones that have the ...say 3-4" borders around so your stuff is really secure. I want something like that, and mount offroad lights on. any ideas.? thanks ace.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chief ill check it out

·
Registered
124 Posts
Surco makes the "standard" aluminum basket rack. Wilderness racks makes a steel one. If you go Surco, you will have to buy additional floor slats.

I purchased the surco when I got my camper shell. tracks can be installed into the camper and the rack mounts to that. be careful to get the proper size. the 'stealer ordered the cheap (read: tiny) rack that was the proper size for a RAV4. I had it for a week thinkin I had been snowed when I got on the surco website and it gave a suggested size for the Tacomas. I printed out the webpage, took it to toyota and they ordered me a new one. you will want a 50"x60" rack.

At first I thought that the surco was a bit flimsy (and wished I had gone with the tubular Yakima or thule) but in retrospect I believe that I had made the right choice. I like the look better, and it is plenty strong (my housemate has taken a few rides up there to shoot video). I found it simple to fab a brackets for my highlift, spare gas can and shovel, and will likely do a spare tire bracket soon too. Additionally, the surco's tubing is just the right size for tubular pipe insulation, so it cost all of 2 bucks for padding the whole way around (you will need 3 pieces of the home depot special) for protecting surfboards, boats or housemates.

Word to the wise: the "tracks" and towers manufactured by yakima are much cleaner looking and easier to adjust than the tracks and towers manufactured by surco (which are a royal pain to manipulate)- but the tracks seem to be interchangeable (I tried a Yakima tower in my tracks and they fit) I am not quite sure how I would attach the surco basket to Yakima cross bars, but it can't be hard, and that is what I would want if I did it again.

I will try photos when I get home.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like that. Thats a good look.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts