TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 05 4X4 4.0 V-6 6-speed, and it sometimes fails to start. The engine turns over fine but appears to not fire. After turning the key off, the second attempt starts just fine. I haven't been able to duplicate the problem at the dealer. Any ideas or similar problems would be helpful.

Mike G.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First of all I know this makes me sound like a lameass (hard to deny...) and my problem might be TOTALLY unrelated to yours, but in the interest of sharing one remote possibility here goes:

I've got the exact same truck with the manual tranny as well (which I LOVE by the way) and had a sporadic starting problem when I first got it. It always worked fine with the "Clutch Start Cancel" button selected though.

When I took it to the dealer, the guy just glanced in the cab and before even trying to start it he pointed to my non-OEM rubber floor mats and said they were the problem. After I questioned his sanity, he told me that with the manual tranny the clutch has to be ALL the way to the floor to allow the starter to initiate. My floormat was keeping the clutch pedal just a little shy of full extension. In your case, maybe you're right at the breaking point when you try at first, and then on your second effort you subconsciously push the clutch pedal that extra little bit necessary to free it up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
other owners of the same truck have experienced similar starting problems when they first got their trucks. if you hit the csc button though it should work fine...in most cases. try to avoid taking it to the dealer if you can, most of the time they just barely look over the interior and come up with some stupid idea. i know it may sound extremely obvious and stupid, but make sure your clutch pedal is depressed all the way to the floor when you start it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
On some newer tacomas you have to replace the wiring harness, there is a technical service bulleting on them. Tell your toyota dealer to kiss it and make the problem happen. Its warranty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts