TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just curious what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting with there 05's, I am barely getting 18 and most of that is on the highway. Not even close to 20, that spurs that question.

From the dealer where i bought my truck, they have this "Tires for life" bullshit. They gave me this book seperate from Toyota's recommeded matinance (you have to follow the dealers service guideline to get your tires for life). I am serious it seems they want to get your truck in every 2500 mile for some stupid minor crap and charge you like $40-$50 a pop. What a bunch of money making bullcrap.

Oh Oh yeah my first oil change is free, but the sticker says 2500 miles on it for the oil change. Am I missing something, because i looking the owners manual and it says every 5,000 mile. I would be hard pressed to wait that long for a oil change, but 2500 seems to soon.


Anyone know something i dont? I bought my first Taco on 99 and the dealer did not seem so greedy. :xdevil:
 

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
Joined
·
1,700 Posts
bobfranks said:
I am just curious what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting with there 05's, I am barely getting 18 and most of that is on the highway. Not even close to 20, that spurs that question.

From the dealer where i bought my truck, they have this "Tires for life" bullshit. They gave me this book seperate from Toyota's recommeded matinance (you have to follow the dealers service guideline to get your tires for life). I am serious it seems they want to get your truck in every 2500 mile for some stupid minor crap and charge you like $40-$50 a pop. What a bunch of money making bullcrap.

Oh Oh yeah my first oil change is free, but the sticker says 2500 miles on it for the oil change. Am I missing something, because i looking the owners manual and it says every 5,000 mile. I would be hard pressed to wait that long for a oil change, but 2500 seems to soon.


Anyone know something i dont? I bought my first Taco on 99 and the dealer did not seem so greedy. :xdevil:
Congrats on your new addition. As far as gasmilage is concerned even my 2002 V6 auto is pretty chitty. They only way to get alittle bit more miles per gallon is to get some type of lid for the bed to make it more aerodynamic and it wouldnt hurt to run synthetics througout the truck also change out the muffler for better exhaust flow, finally get some type of better airfilter system. Since the new 4.0 is a newer engine ill be courious on how the k&n fipk works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Well, speaking from my car salesman days...I told customer they can follow what they are used to (i.e. every 3k miles) or follow the owners manual. As for what your dealer is doing that 50 bucks a pop covers the tires etc (yeah I know you know that)....My thought.....follow the owners manual and keep EVERY service document. THEN you will be good to go.....BTW...Nice truck....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
Don't recommend you using synthetic oil until after the 2nd oil change. Let the rings seat, and all bearing surfaces get broken in. You can glaze the rings with synthetic, and you will not get the true compression potential available. After 2 oil changes, go for it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
463 Posts
bobfranks said:
I am just curious what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting with there 05's, I am barely getting 18 and most of that is on the highway. Not even close to 20, that spurs that question.
I have an '05 with 6500mi and can tell you that I get at least 20mpg on the fwy with my D-Cab 4x4 V6 Auto. And that is driving usually at about 80mph. It took a while but after about 2500-3000mi my milage seemed to get better. You should wait for the motor to break in. And you should run 91 or 93 what ever you have in your area as far as gas. I've been hearing that you'll get better milage with the higher octane.


bobfranks said:
Oh Oh yeah my first oil change is free, but the sticker says 2500 miles on it for the oil change. Am I missing something, because i looking the owners manual and it says every 5,000 mile. I would be hard pressed to wait that long for a oil change, but 2500 seems to soon.
I changed my oil at 1800 miles. I would recommend changing it at least that soon. The oil that came out was BLACK. This will also get rid of any metal shavings or any other contaminates in the engine oil. I would also recommend switching to synthetic, but not any sooner that 7500 or 10k mi. Again you want the engine to break in. If you run synthetic it won't allow the engine to break in properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great thats good to hear about your gas mileage, I have about 1700 miles on mine now. Hopefully I will get results like yourself. I have only been running 87 in it at the time, i read that you would be better gas mileage higher octace. I did not know if that was really true or not..I tend to slack when something is "recommended" and not "required". I am gonna put the expensive stuff in the next fill up. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
47 Posts
What's wrong w/ the 5000 miles the toyota tells you? You think they put in in there to joke w/ you?

But for the first one, I would change it early.
-Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PismoBoy24 said:
What's wrong w/ the 5000 miles the toyota tells you? You think they put in in there to joke w/ you?

But for the first one, I would change it early.
-Chris
Nothing wrong with changing my oil every 5,000 miles, its just the idea. I have been raised to change the oil every 3,000 miles no questions asked. I guess my daddy raised me old school.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
162 Posts
bobfranks said:
I am just curious what kind of gas mileage everyone is getting with there 05's, I am barely getting 18 and most of that is on the highway. Not even close to 20, that spurs that question.

Date Mileage Gallons Price/Gal MPG Cost
11/24/2004 9
11/26/2004 333 17.708 2.019 18.81 $35.75
11/30/2004 623 17.432 1.979 16.64 $34.50
12/2/2004 934 17.745 2.119 17.53 $37.60
12/6/2004 1,227 17.853 2.109 16.41 $37.65
12/8/2004 1,523 16.118 1.979 18.36 $31.90
12/11/2004 1,801 15.769 2.099 17.63 $33.10
12/15/2004 2,097 17.714 1.959 16.71 $34.70
12/17/2004 2,407 17.712 1.959 17.50 $34.70
12/21/2004 2,716 17.793 1.939 17.37 $34.50
12/23/2004 3,021 16.297 1.939 18.72 $31.60
12/26/2004 3,251 13.505 1.999 17.03 $27.00
12/31/2004 3,458 13.328 2.049 15.53 $27.31
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
148 Posts
bobfranks said:
Nothing wrong with changing my oil every 5,000 miles, its just the idea. I have been raised to change the oil every 3,000 miles no questions asked. I guess my daddy raised me old school.
Our squad cars with the department have the oil changed every 5,000 miles,some of the older crown vics (99' models) that I use while my 04' is getting serviced have 150-200,000 miles on them,and they run great,and these cars have been pushed hard the whole way. I personaly change my oil every 3,000 miles because I to was raised that way,but there is nothing wrong with changing it at 5,000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
I have a regular cab 2.7, 5 speed 4X4 with only 1,000 miles on it. So far I have been averaging 20.7 miles per gallon over all. Which I don't think is to bad with such low mileage on it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
I'm getting around 19-20 MPG in my 4x4 Doublecab. I have about 2300 miles so I expect it to get better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
First tank that the dealer filled-probably not all it would hold anyway- I got 19. And that was after 2 burn outs and mostly city driving. Not bad.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top