TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to start/make a list of people who have had the same problem that myself, Cell4Soul, and other have had with their motor mounts on some 05 Tacoma frames so that I have something to use for my case against toyota and so other people dont have to deal with the issue like I have and people like Cell. Ill start. If you dont mind full names would be great as well as your trucks VIN if you want and if you have a double cab or access cab. Obviously you dont have to state any of this or add your name to the list but if you do it would help out me as well as other for future references. You dont have to state your full name or your VIN if you dont feel comfortable. Thanks guys!

1. Jarred Erickson- 05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab VIN: 5TELU42NX5Z075667

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
2. michael a - 05 access 4x4

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
so we got:
1. Jarred Erickson 05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab VIN: 5TELU42NX5Z075667
3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
4. Mark A. - 05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
5. Ed M. - 05 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab / TRD Off Road

Shit, we probably could gather more names for a class action law suit. I'm not looking for big bucks just what's fair.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
exactly, only 7500 a piece, considering thats what the frame cost:
List update:
3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
5. Ed M.- 05 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab / TRD Off Road

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
hey mpower so you are in fab work and what not? In your professional opinion should something like this happen? also have you fixed yours yourself or what have you done?
the way the perch is fitted and welded to the frame is not acceptable . its not like the perch is welded to a boxed frame, the frame is hollow inside the the cavity of the perch so by design standpoint yeah something like this could happen .but ofcourse toyota dosent design the trucks to be put through the abuse that most offroaders put their equipment through. ( ive heard from many sources that its just a manufacturing defect at a single plant from the 2005 model years, so only time will tell if its a design defect)
should this have happened? hell no. but even a well built prerunner can have certain issues with metal fatigue. i have paint chipping all over the frames weld areas from fatigue. in stock form with how much the frame flexes for smooth driveability im suprised more hasent gone wrong yet.with abuse things break, thats just part of the sport

yes i fixed it myself (just drivers side for the moment),although i caught it relitivly early. for the time being its gusseted and plated as much as i could with the diff removed and engine partially raised. first used a port a power to get it back in place then cut defective weld out of critical areas and laid proper weld down then made a strap and some gussets from .120" 4130 and its done just fine with some hard wheeling over the past 10mos.the hardest part of the whole thing is welding upside down in the tight spaces, a lift would have been nice but one day. other than that Marnes has some pics floating around with something that dmz did that i really liked but may have some clearance issues with 4wd components

reccomend pulling the motor to properly gusset the whole area if time isnt a issue.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good question. Mine has been offroaded, some hard trails but I mainly hunt in mine and dont go off "main" hunting roads. I have never jumped or done anything to the degree that some people I have seen have, but yes I do use my truck.

·
Registered
750 Posts
good question. Mine has been offroaded, some hard trails but I mainly hunt in mine and dont go off "main" hunting roads. I have never jumped or done anything to the degree that some people I have seen have, but yes I do use my truck.
But then what else did you buy it for? What did they EXPECT you to use it for?

I hope they do something about this - I feel bad sitting idly by and watching this develop.

Pretty sure my 06' is okay... gotta go check though...

·
Registered
639 Posts
exactly, only 7500 a piece, considering thats what the frame cost:
List update:
3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
6. Gerrit Huberts -05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Updated List:

3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
6. Gerrit Huberts -05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i wouldnt want them fixing my frame if it failed on my '06. youd have to be crazy to let the dealer do something like that with all the problems they cause on routine stuff. id want them to buy the whole truck back.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah it would be nice to have them buy the whole truck back but that would never happen unless a recall was to take place and we know that wont happen unless a lot more people start to state their concerns to Toyota and adding to this list could help.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
all of them so far look like 05's....any newer trucks having problems?? are the fj's motor mounts made the same as ours??

1 - 20 of 238 Posts