TTORA Forum banner
181 - 200 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Josh Malhame 05 TRD offroad access cab

All pro LT kit etc...

Frame cracked and caved in around driver side motor mount, destroyed steering box in the process, 4k repair bill.

Thanks Toyota
Here are pictures of the motor mounts in my truck. These were $200 which is a lot for probably $20 in steel materials. However to save time I picked these up and had one of my buddies weld them in.

I would encourage anyone that beats on their trucks to get something like this save the hassle of a 4k repair bill like the guy above my post.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Josh Malhame 05 trd offroad
cracked around driver side mount
4K fix
hunting truck
nothing extreme

·
Registered
182 Posts
Here are pictures of the motor mounts in my truck. These were $200 which is a lot for probably $20 in steel materials. However to save time I picked these up and had one of my buddies weld them in.

I would encourage anyone that beats on their trucks to get something like this save the hassle of a 4k repair bill like the guy above my post.

Where did you get the engine mount braces? I want a set bad. Thanks

·
Registered
2,460 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
ME 2,

Driver side frame under motor mount split wide open. Engine dropped, damaged steering rack in the process. Truck has been in the shop for 2 weeks now getting boxed and reinforced.

Thanks Toyota

·
Registered
231 Posts

05 trd offroad, 90,000 miles, mods in sig.

worst cracked frame I've seen. Toyota wont touch it because of modifications. Which is illegal, I think its about time to start a class action lawsuit because i dont have the money to fix it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking for Good Shop in CO to do the work

Hey guys!

I have a 05 Tacoma with 78k on it. It currently is showing no signs of motormount failure. The welds are crappy welds but it is holding up. I do some 4x4ing but not often, maybe 4-5 camping trips a year near crested butte, CO.

I use the truck mostly to get around on the weekends and haul electronics around for my business.

Would you reinforce the frame?

If so how much could I expect to pay somebody to remove diff/ect and build in the reinforcements?

Is there a good shop somewhere in Colorado?

Thank you all.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Hey guys!

I have a 05 Tacoma with 78k on it. It currently is showing no signs of motormount failure. The welds are crappy welds but it is holding up. I do some 4x4ing but not often, maybe 4-5 camping trips a year near crested butte, CO.

I use the truck mostly to get around on the weekends and haul electronics around for my business.

Would you reinforce the frame?

If so how much could I expect to pay somebody to remove diff/ect and build in the reinforcements?

Is there a good shop somewhere in Colorado?

Thank you all.
repair procedures are included in this thread.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

05 trd offroad, 90,000 miles, mods in sig.

worst cracked frame I've seen. Toyota wont touch it because of modifications. Which is illegal, I think its about time to start a class action lawsuit because i dont have the money to fix it
good luck with that.
You can go through the same arbitration procedure that the original failed frame/mount owner went through (see other thread) but it will cause you a ton of down time. The fixes that have been spelled out here and the other thread aren't all that expensive.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
just bumping the thread . make sure you 05 guys continually check your mounts . its just a matter of when . ive repaired and reinforced the motor mount perches on 3 ,2005 tacomas in the past month and a half. one of the trucks rarely sees the dirt too. if you have a 2005 get a gusset kit from one of the few available and get them reinforced before they break

·
Registered
1,633 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
My drivers side mount collapsed this morning (2005 TRD OR Access Cab).

Is Toyota seriously not addressing this?

If someone has some web addresses of these gusset fabricators - it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
526 Posts
just bumping the thread . make sure you 05 guys continually check your mounts . its just a matter of when . ive repaired and reinforced the motor mount perches on 3 ,2005 tacomas in the past month and a half. one of the trucks rarely sees the dirt too. if you have a 2005 get a gusset kit from one of the few available and get them reinforced before they break
Are the gussets only useful to prevent the collapse?

How did you handle the repairs on the already damaged frames?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
My drivers side mount collapsed this morning (2005 TRD OR Access Cab).

Is Toyota seriously not addressing this?
yup, they are not doing anything about it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Are the gussets only useful to prevent the collapse?

How did you handle the repairs on the already damaged frames?
the gussets are useful to prevent collapse and also useful to reinforce the area after fixing the collapsed motor mount.

the repairs are different depending on the severity of the collapse and how long its been going on. if your 4wd pull out the front diff and if your 2wd your set . the motor dosent have to come out , but it helps.

·
Registered
526 Posts
the gussets are useful to prevent collapse and also useful to reinforce the area after fixing the collapsed motor mount.

the repairs are different depending on the severity of the collapse and how long its been going on. if your 4wd pull out the front diff and if your 2wd your set . the motor dosent have to come out , but it helps.
I guess in addition to the removal of the front diff, the motor mount would have to be removed from the engine. The frame reboxed and plated, the mount cleaned back up and welded into place, then gusseted?

I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a shop/welder around these parts to do the work.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I guess in addition to the removal of the front diff, the motor mount would have to be removed from the engine. The frame reboxed and plated, the mount cleaned back up and welded into place, then gusseted?

I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a shop/welder around these parts to do the work.
thats pretty much the way it goes.

as far as looking for someone. just dont blindly pick one try to get one from word of mouth. find an offroad club and talk to a few guys there maybe . then when you go talk to the fabricator brings pictures of what he is dealing with and pics of the area after gusseting is done (theres a few somewhere in this thread). these are proven fixes so if he follows the base plan and you are both on the same page , you should be ok.

when the fan blades hit the shroud , you need to stop driving the truck . 1-2 weeks of use alone can be too long and the frame rail will just get torn up more. last one i did was hanging on by a hair!

181 - 200 of 238 Posts