TTORA Forum banner
201 - 220 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
I have already stopped driving it. Dropped it off at the dealer today to have things documented. I know one individual last year that got a new frame from Toyota and I'm trying to stay optimistic that I might get the same. If not, I'll have to find a fabricator as you suggest. I figured it wouldn't hurt to let the dealer go to bat on the issue with Toyota Canada. If nothing else, it'll be one more case number closer to hopefully getting a widespread TSB/recall.

I've already posted on the local boards looking for someone reputable. I may have to trailer the truck a few hours to get there. A guy I do some work for has a car trailer and a 2008 2500 Dodge Cummins, so I may owe him several favors before all is said and done.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Another Update:

12 weeks now since I took my truck to the local dealer. After a few heated arguments with Toyota, they agreed to replace the frame in my 2005 TRD OR. I've been in a rental vehicle since the decision was made on September 19, 2011 - Toyota is footing the bill.

I visited the dealer lot the other day to find the battery in my Tacoma stone dead - brought it home and charged it overnight. Went back yesterday and installed the battery and fired up the truck. The truck started right away like it was only sitting overnight. The charging light however was illuminated for a few minutes but finally went away, brake pads stuck to the rotors, same with the shoes in the rear inside the drums. Did a slow lap around the lot just to get things moving again. Cycled into and out of 4x4 for awhile - basically just went through everything to ensure it wasn't seized. My rotors feel pretty crappy, and I assume a brake job will be in order ASAP after the repair. Shut off the truck and removed the ground from the battery to avoid it draining again.

The new frame/chassis is still not available and no estimated delivery time can be determined. Apparently the case is now being reviewed by the head of some warranty department somewhere to determine if we are going to wait for a new frame or proceed into a "buy back" negotiation. Time will tell.

Toyota has paid the cost of my rental vehicle thus far - so I have to give them credit where it is due. Currently an 2011 F150 supercrew. Previous was a Kia Soul :)mad:) as well as a Ford Escape. Finally got my ass back in the seat of a truck - really did miss it.

That's all for now...

·
Registered
222 Posts
BTW has anyone had this happen in a '06? Or is this limited to the '05's? I check mine often and havn't noticed any cracking..
Chase had it happen to his (pretty sure anyways). His is an 06'...from what I've read Toyota made the change/reinforcement to the mounting area sometime in mid-06' so it's just hit or miss I guess depending on production date of your truck.

As for the 10' you should be fine, but gussets never hurt :cool:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Mine is an 06 but it was built in 05. I have a bad feeling mine are starting to go. Sometimes when I put it in reverse and back out of my driveway, it sounds like the fan is rubbing the shroud. Great, I'm getting under it tonight to find out.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Another Update:

12 weeks now since I took my truck to the local dealer. After a few heated arguments with Toyota, they agreed to replace the frame in my 2005 TRD OR. I've been in a rental vehicle since the decision was made on September 19, 2011 - Toyota is footing the bill.

I visited the dealer lot the other day to find the battery in my Tacoma stone dead - brought it home and charged it overnight. Went back yesterday and installed the battery and fired up the truck. The truck started right away like it was only sitting overnight. The charging light however was illuminated for a few minutes but finally went away, brake pads stuck to the rotors, same with the shoes in the rear inside the drums. Did a slow lap around the lot just to get things moving again. Cycled into and out of 4x4 for awhile - basically just went through everything to ensure it wasn't seized. My rotors feel pretty crappy, and I assume a brake job will be in order ASAP after the repair. Shut off the truck and removed the ground from the battery to avoid it draining again.

The new frame/chassis is still not available and no estimated delivery time can be determined. Apparently the case is now being reviewed by the head of some warranty department somewhere to determine if we are going to wait for a new frame or proceed into a "buy back" negotiation. Time will tell.

Toyota has paid the cost of my rental vehicle thus far - so I have to give them credit where it is due. Currently an 2011 F150 supercrew. Previous was a Kia Soul :)mad:) as well as a Ford Escape. Finally got my ass back in the seat of a truck - really did miss it.

That's all for now...
Have you shown your service mgr this thread, including the 'fix' that has been developed? I frankly don't know why Toyota doesn't just do this rather than replacing the whole frame. :confused:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would of took a weekend and just fixed it my self.........
If it were that easy in my circumstance, it would have been done weeks ago.

Have you shown your service mgr this thread, including the 'fix' that has been developed? I frankly don't know why Toyota doesn't just do this rather than replacing the whole frame. :confused:
Due to liability reasons, Toyota Canada will not authorize welding of chassis components. I gave them the option, but Toyota denied it.

·
Premium Member
4,068 Posts
Quoted from Pirate:

DMZ Fab provided the motor mount gussets. Not sure if they are doing production runs of the FJC gussets yet, as Tim mocked these up off an FJ that we was repairing motor mounts on and making gussets for. I do believe they have Taco gussets available. There apparently is some variation in the frame/mounts between the FJC and Taco from what he said. Give Tim @ DMZ a call and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to get you setup with what you need.

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13767006#post13767006

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Good deal because I don't think I could do another 3 days under the truck in 38f weather.
Talked to Tim and he said that we MAY be able to weld them in with the diff in place. If we can it will save some time. if not it will take a little longer, but no biggy. Should bust out both trucks in one day in the shop.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Talked to Tim and he said that we MAY be able to weld them in with the diff in place. If we can it will save some time. if not it will take a little longer, but no biggy. Should bust out both trucks in one day in the shop.

Yea not really trying to drop the diff but do whats gotta be done I suppose.

201 - 220 of 238 Posts