TTORA Forum banner
221 - 238 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Got my Tacoma back from the dealer last Friday (January 20, 2012) with the new frame installed. During the first test drive I performed, I noticed the Rear locker wouldn't engage nor would the cruise control. I admit the dealer was very accommodating and replaced both the rear diff actuator as well as the spiral cable - now both the locker and cruise work as normal.

Last weekend I spent allot of time underneath the truck in my FIL shop (had a lift ) inspecting everything. A few wires had to be tucked away here and there, a marker light plugged in, and a few other small issues I took care of myself. New pads and rotors on the front were a must as well as a good caliper cleaning / lubrication. Inspected and adjusted the rear drums, etc.

One issue I did find the hard way was the dealer neglected to attach the front diff breather line to the front diff - so after a 2 hour commute on the highway I arrived to find gear air spewed all over the front end. Not really a big deal I guess. Cleaned everything back up and installed the breather line.

Overall I'm surprised how well everything turned out. Hopefully one year down the road I will be equally satisfied and no further issues arise from a total tear down of the truck. My maintenance will obviously have to be a little more detailed in the future, checking the torque on various fasteners and other components.

The dealer estimated the total cost of the frame replacement including labor, parts, and a 124 day rental vehicle at approximately $24,00 - $25,000. I gave Toyota the option of a repair at a frame shop that would have set them back maybe $3,000 - $4,000 but it was denied. I don't understand why Toyota replace some frames under warranty and leave others out in the cold to fend for themselves. I suspect the local dealership has allot of influence in their decision.

The end result...

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Above all the stupid ass questions being asked lately.
Thought I was the only one that noticed............

Got my DMZ gussets sitting in my garage......just waiting for time to install them.

Nick installed his recently, said he didn't have to remove anything, but also said they are 3/4 of the way welded in. I will try and give my thoughts when I find the time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone still adding to the list? I will!

updated list:

1. Jarred Erickson- 05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab VIN: 5TELU42NX5Z075667
2. michael a - 05 access 4x4
3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
4. Mark A. - 05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab
5. Ed M.- 05 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab / TRD Off Road
6. Gerrit Huberts -05 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road
7. Logan Wood- 05 Toyota Tacoma Access cab trd offroad 5TEUU42N05Z108213. Driver side.
8.dezertyota05- 05 Toyota Tacoma 4door
9. Dave_dave- 05 Toyota Tacoma
I think I pulled the last actual list off this thread. I was looking because I need to add mine, and I don't think it hurts to keep these forum threads up to date.

3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4
7. Logan Wood- 05 Toyota Tacoma Access cab trd offroad 5TEUU42N05Z108213. Driver side.
8.dezertyota05- 05 Toyota Tacoma 4door
9. Dave_dave- 05 Toyota Tacoma
10. Gayle - 05 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road V6 6 speed manual VIN 5TELU42N85Z135798

The reinforcement and gusset from Solomotorsports is here, as of an hour ago. They tell me they see a lot of these failures. I'm about to take the truck from the dealer to my shop and they are going to do the welding.

Bet there are more of you out there. I've reported this to Toyota Corporate and NHTSA. I'm not holding my breath, but I am keeping my receipts. This is a design failure. Thanks for one of the threads that helped me figure out right away what was going on with my truck.

My hope is that the repair will make it better than new. We all know that "new" on this part of the frame wasn't good enough!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Got my Tacoma back from the dealer last Friday (January 20, 2012) with the new frame installed. During the first test drive I performed, I noticed the Rear locker wouldn't engage nor would the cruise control. I admit the dealer was very accommodating and replaced both the rear diff actuator as well as the spiral cable - now both the locker and cruise work as normal.

Last weekend I spent allot of time underneath the truck in my FIL shop (had a lift ) inspecting everything. A few wires had to be tucked away here and there, a marker light plugged in, and a few other small issues I took care of myself. New pads and rotors on the front were a must as well as a good caliper cleaning / lubrication. Inspected and adjusted the rear drums, etc.

One issue I did find the hard way was the dealer neglected to attach the front diff breather line to the front diff - so after a 2 hour commute on the highway I arrived to find gear air spewed all over the front end. Not really a big deal I guess. Cleaned everything back up and installed the breather line.

Overall I'm surprised how well everything turned out. Hopefully one year down the road I will be equally satisfied and no further issues arise from a total tear down of the truck. My maintenance will obviously have to be a little more detailed in the future, checking the torque on various fasteners and other components.

The dealer estimated the total cost of the frame replacement including labor, parts, and a 124 day rental vehicle at approximately $24,00 - $25,000. I gave Toyota the option of a repair at a frame shop that would have set them back maybe $3,000 - $4,000 but it was denied. I don't understand why Toyota replace some frames under warranty and leave others out in the cold to fend for themselves. I suspect the local dealership has allot of influence in their decision.

The end result...

Well its been over a year now since my frame replacement and I still have my Tacoma. I haven't put allot of miles on it in the past year as I now have a company truck at my disposal. I did have to replace a couple of rear axle seals, one wheel bearing, and it sounds like in the past week another wheel bearing is starting to go. Overall I'm really surprised how this all unfolded. A complete frame replacement and the truck is as good as it ever was. It did develop a squeak in the dash area over the winter, but I plan to go hunting for that when the temps warm up a little. Overall I'm pleased with how Toyota handled my situation. Hopefully others in the same situation is having similar results...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Failed Engine Mount Driver Side

2005 Toyota Tacoma, Access Cab, TRD Sport, Not offroaded in over a year. Very light offroading at the most.

VIN:: 5TEUU42N35Z022250

Miles: 121,500

At the dealer now. So far they have refused to do anything.

Does anybody know a welder in the Denver Metro Area? I would be willing to pay $500 for somebody to weld in some reinforcements on both mounts.

The driverside lower weld is broken and has sank in maybe an 1/8" at most. I have caught it early. (I check every oil change)

Help!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Does anybody know a welder in the Denver Metro Area? I would be willing to pay $500 for somebody to weld in some reinforcements on both mounts.
I'd post up in the CO forum - I'm sure you'll get a couple of suggestions or offers. I'd give you one but I don't know of anyone specific down there. We've got a shop thread too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to start/make a list of people who have had the same problem that myself, Cell4Soul, and other have had with their motor mounts on some 05 Tacoma frames so that I have something to use for my case against toyota and so other people dont have to deal with the issue like I have and people like Cell. Ill start. If you dont mind full names would be great as well as your trucks VIN if you want and if you have a double cab or access cab. Obviously you dont have to state any of this or add your name to the list but if you do it would help out me as well as other for future references. You dont have to state your full name or your VIN if you dont feel comfortable. Thanks guys!

Need to add my truck to your list.
2005 Tacoma Double Cab
#5TELU42N65Z032069
Cracked and caved in on driver's side. Passenger looks ok.

My mechanic found while replacing rack & pinion. Had leaking p/s line that CAN'T be purchased separately from r&p. Found rack & pinion through salvage yard. Now I wonder if the cracked frame caused the p/s line to fail. Ordered gusset kit today from DMZ Fab.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2006 Tacoma and recently had the driver side motor mount welds break and the frame is cracked six inches along the frame! My fan is rubbing on the shroud and also the motor broke a power steering line off of the rack and pinion! I have read a lot about this problem with the 05 and 06 2nd generation! Toyota is not helping me out with my problem so what can be done?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's my truck for your list.
Dave Szpara
2005 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4
#5TELU42N55Z013321
Manufacture Date: 10/04

There is an ever growing 2.5" x 7" hole in the frame under the driver side near the catalytic. I keep vacuuming out the frame and get a lot of disintegrating rust out of it every year.

Now the driver's side motor mount gusset just caved into the frame on Sept 14 2017, the engine is now slumped over with the fan rubbing in the radiator shroud. The frame in that area looks feels very thin where it broke. The passenger side mount looks ok for now.

I'm going after the Winnipeg Toyota dealer initially that applied black rust inhibitor which ended up accelerating the rust. Then either get them to go after Toyota Canada for a new frame or persuue it myself if they are not successful.

Update:

I just received an email on Saturday October 07 2017 from Crown Toyota stating that Toyota Canada is going to replace the rusted frame on my 2005 Tacoma at no cost to me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Im glad someone is making a list. My frame completely caved in on the drive side. I hope everyone else will also submit a complaint to NHTSA, they can make Toyota pay.

Irvin S- 05 Tacoma Access 4x4 VIN 5TEUU42N95Z035035

Updated List:

3. Brock - 05 Access 4x4

221 - 238 of 238 Posts