TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi -

For the 2005 Tacoma owners (w/V6's), do you guys hear a "fluttering" sound when accelerating hard? I'm not so sure how to describe it, but to me, it sounds like a loose exhaust manifold or (hope not) a hole in the manifold, or some sort of leak in the exhaust. It's definitely coming from the engine bay . It only appears when accelerating hard while driving. I don't hear it while revving and in park.

I just took it to my local Toyota dealer and the technician said it was normal. I don't know if it's just me, but it doesn't sound normal. :confused:

This is a great forum and this is my first post. I hope to find a lot of good answers/advice here.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hey my 2003 v6 makes noises under acceleration too. Do not listen to the dealer,they told me it was normal on mine too and even made somethin up to tell me. I am currently figuring the problem out on my own right now. For starts I am replacing the manifolds with trd headers,then getting it tuned the best possible,from there if it is still not fixed will have the damn 1800 toyota number on speed dial. These were things I was planning on but not for a lil while.

Sam

·
Registered
185 Posts
My 05 is a 4 cyl, but I had a 95.5 and 2 98's that were v-6's and all 3 sounded like they had a slight exhaust leak under load.

·
Registered
984 Posts
There was a TSB /recall / redesign / whatever on '05 OEM skid plates, because the original versions were too light and vibrating badly... Do you have a skid plate??...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ive test driven several 05 tacomas and they all have that noise, its normal. It sound like the manual fan is loud and makes a crappy sound. But its normal just a bad design or bad noise dampning

·
Registered
74 Posts
Was driving today. Wife scolded me for accelerating hard. I had turned the stereo off and still did not hear any fluttering noise. My 4X4 has the standard skid plate but not the aluminum one. Fan sounds....well...ok. I can hear a slight throaty sound from inside the exhaust system, I think.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Mine made the same noise/flutter when I first got it. Went away after it got broken in... I'm at 5000 miles

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the comments everyone. yea, i guess it's "normal" but it sure doesn't sound like it. :mad:

I do have the skid plate, but it sounds more like an exhaust leak "flutter" or "ticking" sound, which gets louder as you accelerate harder.

for those of you who have rented a uhaul truck and revved it pretty hard, it's similar to that, but not quite as loud.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That Damn Tick

It Is Not Normal. I Have An 05, V6, Auto, Doublecab, Long Bed, Etc. It Sounds Like A Brand New Piece Of Shit. One Dealer Told Me It Was Normal (or The Tech Is Deaf). Another Is Currently Speaking To Toyota Who May Send A Representative Out To Inspect. I Haven't Heard Anything Yet Though. I Just Posted My Issue. Please Read - I'm Curious To Know If Yours Is The Same Issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
EROCK -

I know exactly how you feel. I filled up with Premium gas (91 oct) today and that really didn't help much.

I really don't have a better way of describing the sound, other than either a "flutter", a "rattlle" when accelerating. As I said in a previous post, it sounds like a uhaul truck engine when gunnin' it.

I'm going to give it a few more weeks. Worse case, I'll ask to test drive another 05 taco and see if I hear it there. I swear when I test drove the truck (not the one I actually bought), I didn't recognize the sound....

Hopefully all 2005 Taco owners can keep each other posted on this.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
this is what i had, i might be on the same boat here i may not, but yeah you hear it under acceleration, almost sounds like the ticking is coming from the transmission (at least on mine), i recently put on a downey header, and magnaflow, used A LOT of copper coat on all of the gaskets, right now the engine runs smoother than silk, no hp loss or nothing, no ticking

·
Registered
41 Posts
Damn thats weird because I too have the same problem...its been in my head the whole day of whats wrong with it...I started to hear it more after I took it off roading for its first time today. It just doesn't sound right...like its trying to push the engine harder but its really not...its just driving normal with that ugly sound.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'll Be Speaking With The Tech @ The Dealer Who Spoke To "some Authorities" @ Toyota In 4 - 5 Hrs. Be Back After Then With Answers Or Excuses. I Won't Quit Til It Sounds Normal.

·
Registered
1 Posts
as a tech @ Toyota they sent us to a conference to give us information on cust. complaints that they did not have TSB's for the exhaust noise was one of them there is no fix for the condition and it is said to be normal and no our over used word is not normal condition it is could not duplicate

·
always a Toyota lover at heart
1,114 Posts
Are you getting some good info, Eric?
glad to see you made it to the forum
welcome IL newbie!!!(so to speak)!!!! LOL
tacobob

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as location of noise, it's coming from the engine bay, not from the cat or muffler. that's why i described it as an exhaust manifold leak (which I actually did have with an 85 22R engine). Honestly, I have no clue as to the source of the noise. It doesn't happen when in park and revving, and obviously, it's physically impossible for me to open the hood and listen while I'm driving (unless the truck is on a dyno or something).

EROCK describes it as as "ticking" sound as well, which I'm pretty sure is the same sound I hear.

I'm no master technician, but I feel I know more about basic mechanics than the average consumer (and probably more than a lot of service advisors). This sound definitely doesn't sound normal. I seriously hope the technician and service advisor didn't just say it's "normal" and think that's enough for me to say ok, you're right...

I'm going to the dealership tomorrow to plead my case. maybe I'll take a new taco for a test drive, dog the shit out of it, and see if i hear the noise on that truck.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts