TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was changing the GF's oil in her 2006 Tacoma trd/sport. drain the oil, and get the oil filter off. open the oil fill, and notice a WHITE/CREAMY SLUDGE in the cap and down the fill tube... So I get a little worried, about what's going on.. Seems like it might have water in it to cause this problem, or was the previous oil used. (16,000 miles). Is this a head gasket problem? What do you guys think....

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2006 v-6 also, and funny thing is that I just saw this yesterday for the first time. It was caramel in color right ? Do you use synthetic oil ? I do , Mobil-1. I called the dealer and spoke with someone , the first thing they said was you are running synthetic oil right? I was how do you know. She said synthetic causes it. I contacted mobil and spoke to a tech who told me as long as it is not grey or milky in the oil pan or when you drain it out, or on the dipstick dont worry ????????????? I am confused also. My truck has 12,000 miles. So today its out with the synthetic and in with dino juice. Dont know which one is best .Keep a eye on the radiator overflow tank to be sure your not losing coolant into the engine

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
let me guess, there are a lot of short city trips on the vehicles and less of getting up to a warm oeprating temperature right? that is normal, dont worry about it. your trucks head gaskets are fine.....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, not using sythetic oils.. that's why i was so curious as to why it was doing it.. and it seemed like there was water on the dip stick (oil not sticking to it). I'll just keep a close eye on it.

And yes they are realativly short trips. Think it's about 6/8 miles to there Cafe'.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
1BadAndy said:
I have 2006 v-6 also, and funny thing is that I just saw this yesterday for the first time. It was caramel in color right ? Do you use synthetic oil ? I do , Mobil-1. I called the dealer and spoke with someone , the first thing they said was you are running synthetic oil right? I was how do you know. She said synthetic causes it. I contacted mobil and spoke to a tech who told me as long as it is not grey or milky in the oil pan or when you drain it out, or on the dipstick dont worry ????????????? I am confused also. My truck has 12,000 miles. So today its out with the synthetic and in with dino juice. Dont know which one is best .Keep a eye on the radiator overflow tank to be sure your not losing coolant into the engine

Dealerships use synthitic oil as a scapegoat for everything, dont beleive it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The only real difference between synthetic and dino are some impurities like parafin, in dino oil. Ask the dealer to explain how having LESS parafin will result in something like that, then tell them to go f-themselves when they start stuttering and making crap up.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the residue that you are seeing could be caused by leaking head gaskets...but probably not. as a tech, i see it on many vehicles, and most of the time it's just where condensation collects. don't be alarmed, if it's coolant you'll be able to smell it and definitely would have noticed it when draining the oil during the oil change.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i am also a tech and see this goo quite often, and have never seen it to be problematic. the chrylser/dogdge/jeep vehicles with raised oil fill tubes do this. my 06 only has 3500 miles on it and i am running syn. i will watch for the mystery goo.....

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is going to be the norm for these trucks that have the long filler necks that do not get driven for any length of time. My truck when I got it was like this at the first oil change, 870 miles. I changed oil and put in Mobil 1 5w30. My trips to work are 31 miles each way. I checked the oil fill cap again in a couple of weeks and the white stuff was gone. I just did my 2nd oil change today, 4703 miles and there was no white stuff there. I attribute the white stuff in my cap to the short trips that were being taken in my truck before I got it. Mine sat at the dealer long enough to attain 70 miles on it before I got it. No telling how many test drives it went on.

Take the truck on some longer trips and let it get up to temp and stay there for 30 minutes or so at least once a week.

·
Registered
151 Posts
it looks like a blown head gasket issue cuse it's kinda realitive. the residue comes from the condensation of water that builds up in the neck and under side of the cap. cause the engine is constaly getting hot and cooling down. no problems just nasty.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Just condensation. If it were anything else, you would see it in the drained oil also. As the engine cools, the water vapor condenses and you get goo.

·
Registered
144 Posts
@ 2800 mile on a new 07 tacoma I switched to Royal Purple Synthetic and got something like that but about a tenth the amount and not as thick looking as that. And it wasn't there before i changed oil

C

·
0 Posts
This all sounds like bullshit to me. I have been wrong before, and am sure I will be wrong again... But I have always been taught, by my father, and mechanics of domestic and import autos, that if there is a something that looks like the picture above, there IS A PROBLEM.

I use synthetic oil in my truck. I dont have a "long filler tube". I have NEVER seen anything like that in my truck. I have never seen anything like that in any vehicle I have ever owned. But I have seen it in vehicles with blown head gaskets. When oil and enough water mix, at high enough temps, it causes that. (see pic above)

I cannot believe that just some condensation would cause that. Like I said, I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong again. But If I saw that in my motor, I would be raising HELL.

EDIT: my morning commute is 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on traffic. It gets nice and warm every day of the week. Still never heard of that goo on a short commute vehicle...

·
Registered
533 Posts
cedarbarn said:
This all sounds like bullshit to me. I have been wrong before, and am sure I will be wrong again... But I have always been taught, by my father, and mechanics of domestic and import autos, that if there is a something that looks like the picture above, there IS A PROBLEM.

I use synthetic oil in my truck. I dont have a "long filler tube". I have NEVER seen anything like that in my truck. I have never seen anything like that in any vehicle I have ever owned. But I have seen it in vehicles with blown head gaskets. When oil and enough water mix, at high enough temps, it causes that. (see pic above)

I cannot believe that just some condensation would cause that. Like I said, I have been wrong before, and I will be wrong again. But If I saw that in my motor, I would be raising HELL.

EDIT: my morning commute is 45 minutes to 1.5 hours depending on traffic. It gets nice and warm every day of the week. Still never heard of that goo on a short commute vehicle...
Sounds crazy but it is condensation! too much putting around and not enough full temp driving causes it. Where the oil filler is located determines if you'll ever see it. My 4.0 gets it if I just do a bunch of short trips.

·
Registered
395 Posts
condensation. don't worry about it unless the oil coming out of the oil pan looks like that.

i see this many times, every day. not a problem.

-Mike

C

·
0 Posts
007 said:
Sounds crazy but it is condensation! too much putting around and not enough full temp driving causes it. Where the oil filler is located determines if you'll ever see it. My 4.0 gets it if I just do a bunch of short trips.
That is weird.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
About this Discussion
34 Replies
27 Participants
TacoDude07
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing