TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys my 4x4 may be sick
the exhaust pipe is black on the inside & around the outside edge, :confused: kinda like an older model truck w/ highmiles, running a little rich ! My '06 taco v6 only has 7000mi . Never had any trouble out of it until yesterday I went to start it & it spit&sputtered so I turned the ing. back & then I tried it again. It started fine like always, but you could smell gas ! :confused: Today It started like w/no problems .
Any Ideas , could it be running rich, air / fuel mix off ?
HELP !!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Dont know but could be this:
From my understanding with fuel injection and electric fuel pumps, the fuel system like to be primed before start up.
When you turn the key to "on" you will hear the pump for a moment, building pressure.
If you turn your key real quickly all the way to "start" sometimes the pump doesnt prime properly and it acts as you described.

this is in most F.I. cars with electric fuel pumps, my 02 Vette does this too..

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
This is no prob. i have had the same prob on my 06 taco. Started up on the second try no problem. Took it to a dealer and they said nothing was wrong they could be giving me a run a round but it hasn't occured sicne if you've been having cold weather them i'd say don't worry bout it. If not then you may have a problem but i doubt it, these engines are very well engineered problems are likely to be related to start up contitions ie cold weather. Wouldn't worry bout it unless it its a habitual problem even in a warmer climate.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had the same thing on my '05 a couple times. No prob, normal ops, It can't be perfect all the time

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
TroutFisher said:
Dont know but could be this:
From my understanding with fuel injection and electric fuel pumps, the fuel system like to be primed before start up.
When you turn the key to "on" you will hear the pump for a moment, building pressure.
If you turn your key real quickly all the way to "start" sometimes the pump doesnt prime properly and it acts as you described.

this is in most F.I. cars with electric fuel pumps, my 02 Vette does this too..
no that is jsut chevys stupid ass noisy fuel pumps...doesnt work that way on toyotas

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
It has happened to me a few times over the past 2 years. It usually happens when I don't hold the key through at least 3-4 revolutions. It is most likely caused by the crank pos sensor not getting a good reading or something along those lines. It always starts fine on the second try. I wouldn't be concerned with it.

·
Registered
892 Posts
If your truck is under warrantee.... Take it to the dealer!

Anytime you have a problem with a vehicle while under warrantee - take it to the dealer and tell them about it.

They'll have it documented in their system that you've had problems. If the problem turns into something bigger - they can't 'argue' againest you because you've tried to have them remedy the situation previously. This will put the ball in their court (and their lack of trying to remedy the situation in the first place).

Did that all make sense?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
mojavegold said:
It has happened to me a few times over the past 2 years. It usually happens when I don't hold the key through at least 3-4 revolutions. It is most likely caused by the crank pos sensor not getting a good reading or something along those lines. It always starts fine on the second try. I wouldn't be concerned with it.

On the 4.0 in the 4runner if you turn the key to start and instanly release the ECU completes the start sequence for you, IMO this is the best way to start you r truck. If you hold the key the "auto" start disengaguges and you can release early. Someony try this in the taco, I dont have mine yet, but all you do is turn to start and release, your truck should start itself. It may solve some starting issues.. my moms 4.7 4runner is funky starting in cold if you dont use the "auto" start, with the "auto" start it doesnt skip a beat.

·
Registered
313 Posts
ah64id said:
On the 4.0 in the 4runner if you turn the key to start and instanly release the ECU completes the start sequence for you, IMO this is the best way to start you r truck. If you hold the key the "auto" start disengaguges and you can release early. Someony try this in the taco, I dont have mine yet, but all you do is turn to start and release, your truck should start itself. It may solve some starting issues.. my moms 4.7 4runner is funky starting in cold if you dont use the "auto" start, with the "auto" start it doesnt skip a beat.
I know what you're talking about w/ the 4runner, I had to tell my wife to let go of the key because it starts itself, but my 2007 tacoma does not auto start, you have to actually hold the key.

·
Registered
173 Posts
CoalDigger said:
Guys my 4x4 may be sick
the exhaust pipe is black on the inside & around the outside edge, :confused: kinda like an older model truck w/ highmiles, running a little rich ! My '06 taco v6 only has 7000mi . Never had any trouble out of it until yesterday I went to start it & it spit&sputtered so I turned the ing. back & then I tried it again. It started fine like always, but you could smell gas ! :confused: Today It started like w/no problems .
HELP !!!

The new trucks seem to have a problem reading the transponder key sometimes. If the ECU doesn't 'see' your key, the truck will turn over but not start. This happens to me probably 10% of the time. Very annoying, but can't fix it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CoalDigger said:
Guys my 4x4 may be sick
HELP !!!
Do you have a remote starter installed? I have one and they needed to imbed one of my keys in the dashboard becasue the engine reads the chip code in the black part of your key. It's a security feature - basically no key with a chip to read, no start. Becasue I have the remote start key imbedded in the dash, the engine signal sometimes gets confused as to which key it wants to read to start in the case of when I manually turn the key - no problems with the remote start sequence.

If you don't have a remote start, make sure you don't have any other keys touching the ignition key. that can interfere with the signal. if its neither of those, the other posts of it being normal are good possibilities too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Slergio said:
I know what you're talking about w/ the 4runner, I had to tell my wife to let go of the key because it starts itself, but my 2007 tacoma does not auto start, you have to actually hold the key.

well that sucks.. its the same damn ECU and motor.. or so I thought

1 - 20 of 20 Posts