TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Main tube with compound bend to lean forward slightly with the cab.

I'm leaving just enough room on top to run tubes for my exo, even though in the pic it looks like it's away from the cab quite a bit...it's really just enough for a 1.75" tube with a tad of room between it and the cab.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

Added some cross tubes and will be adding more this evening.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heck no, there will be cross tubes. am actually going to add them tonight. wouldnt be very strong without the "x's" in there at all to divert loads....but you knew that ;)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
added some bracing last night. i had to make 3 little bends in the tube to clear the window seal on the bottom of the rear sliding glass since the crossbar hugs the cab so tightly.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The unfortunate part is those bends drastically reduce strength, especially critical as they support the main hoop. That main hoop and support will fold like a taco if hit very hard. Just a critique not bashing. You may reconsider the main hoop's position if you really plan on using it for protection, which is what I suppose by your pics and description.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The unfortunate part is those bends drastically reduce strength, especially critical as they support the main hoop. That main hoop and support will fold like a taco if hit very hard. Just a critique not bashing. You may reconsider the main hoop's position if you really plan on using it for protection, which is what I suppose by your pics and description.
I too, agree. But if there is enough gussetting and supports, it should be fine. I don't think Josh plans on rolling ever, I mean it happens don't get me wrong, but you can prevent it. :welder:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'm wondering the purpose of those bends ?

probably strong enough for a soft roll...
looks bling kool... so I'll let it ride
besides... the the front windshield area (pillars) is what flattens
more so then the rear of the cab...

That's the part of the cab that needs real help... IMO

I wanna see mo' of this build

·
STITCH - Come and Take it!
9,051 Posts
Other than the bends that most others have mentioned.
Are you planning to cage the whole cab? If I missed ... that sorry.
Looking good so far. :)

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
if i was just going to leave it like that with no support or cage, i'd be worred about the strength, but im going to fully exo the whole truck to support it...and i'm going to be adding gussets also. I got alot done over the weekend. So here's a few pics.

I had problems removing the old bed, so this will make it easier. It's welded to the top of the frame/bed mounts and a bolt runs thru the bottom of the frame to the support where a nut is welded on the inside.

cut off 4.5" @ a 45* angle to help my departure angle some. The bolts are for another tube that will be attached to another plate so there's an attachment point at the rear.

I still am going to tie into the shock hoops, just haven't gotten there yet. Had to put the bends around the shocks so the bed can be lifted straight up and off the truck. The fitting for the resi would've hit if the tube was left straight.

·
4,068 Posts
I like the idea of the main hoop hugging the cab close, but opted not to add the addittional bends for the previous mentioned strength reasons. I kept mine close at the base of the cab but as you can see it does have a couple inch gap at the roof line.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
The other point was leaving enough room for the deflection of the tubing in the event of a roll. Put the tubes a half inch from the body and you can bet your going to get body damage from the tubes themselves. Does look good though, nice job.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I felt comfortable putting only that bar a half inch from the back of the cab because most exos I've seen have good strength front/back, because that's the easy part. Laterally is the direction I've seen most cages distort or fail. Thanks for the feedback and ideas though. I've been down for almost 5 months and I'm ready to wheel again!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got a few tubes bent and tacked on last night, but not notched. shortening the frame by 4.5" in the rear is very evident now.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cut it off angled that way because it's going to be another attachment point of the cage/bed. I built the bed so it can be lifted straight up and off the truck. The last one I helped build before I got all my equipment to do my own had to be tilted forward and squeezed on....PITA. Although it's angled like it is, it improved my angle a ton over what it was. Going to do some more work on it tonight.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Lookin good man. Giving me ideas to do my rig :)

Are those Creepies 37's?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts