TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 07 tacoma trd 4wd what is the best or most popular lift. Looking to go about 3 inches, want to go with a little bigger tire 31 or 33 any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a new 07 tacoma trd 4wd what is the best or most popular lift. Looking to go about 3 inches, want to go with a little bigger tire 31 or 33 any suggestion would be very helpful. Thanks.
I would have to say that the most popular lift on this site is hoes and deavers, most affordable is toytec with AAL, best bang for the buck would be Bilstien/OME front and Dakar leaf set rear. :2cents:

·
Registered
55 Posts
If you are planning to do some serious trails, invest in the donahoes and deavers, if not, If you are looking for a good priced, but yet capable, nice ride, then do the Toytec/OME w/885's and the AAL. A lot of guys on here have that setup and like them a lot. I installed the toytec/ome, left the aluminum spacer off the front and put the toytec shims in the back, love it. Do some searching on here for both of those and you will get all the info you need about them.

·
Registered
407 Posts
After days of searching and reading, I went with OME/Dakars. I beat on them some and came out with 2" front and 3" rear lift. Truck will see hard-intermediate off roading 4-5 times a year and it pulls a 5K trailer. Right now I love the ride and it's hard to get to the truck before my wife so I get a chance to drive it. It came out really nice and achieved exactly what I wanted. If you do the install yourself you're looking at a few bucks above a grand.

Cost was a factor. I did the entire lift for what a pair of Donahoes cost. If I'd read a little more and paid better attention, I would have went with 2.0 SAW front coilovers (for ease of adjustability) instead of the OME. I figure it would have been $200 more well spent. If I wanted only a soft rear ride without hauling a consideration, I'd probably picked Deaver leafs. However, if I want softer or more flex, I can pull the Dakar's helper leafs.

Search and take your time....you'll cull out who's blowing smoke from the ones who've been there and done it all.

Good luck and report back.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I'm looking at saw 2.0 and a full leaf pack.. Do it right the first time.... Can't decide on what rear pack though alcan or davers.. cause I'm not sure If I'll be pulling alot or not in the future

·
Registered
551 Posts
If you don;t think you will be hauling or towing consitantly, thne go with the Deavers. Don't get me wrong, I love my Alcans, but they are stiff. They offer a controlled ride and much more stability in the rear, but if you are just using your truck for occasional hauls and tows, the 8 leaf Deavers will handle that and I can't speak from experience, but I have read that many members enjoy the smoother ride of the Deavers. just my :2cents:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
First off if you wheel your truck ANY 0-3" lift will not provide even a mm more clearnce for tires up front. The pivot point and bumpstop locations are unchanged. The lift simply provides increased ride height and increased ground clearance. Now if you can live with a little rubbing on the trail, but none on the street the lift will help.. but simply if it would rub now it WILL rub with the lift... If you want to run 285's, you will either need to put wheel spacers or new wheels (prefered) on since with OEM wheels the tire will rub the upper a-arm.

Now for types of lift, they have just about all been listed.. I went with a cornfed 2" machined down to 1.75". Cornfed uses 2 spacers, a 1" spring and a 1" top plate. The small 1" spring doesnt affect your ride, and the 1" top plate gives you extra droop. On my lift he machined the top plate smaller. My truck is DEAD level. I will probally put a 3/8 to 1/2" block in the rear (really short spring stock), just so I wont have to add air to the airbags with 100lbs in the bed, but it looks sharp.

Depending on how you wheel will depend on what you get. On this site you will find hoe coilovers very popular, I think its more of a fad than functionality (flame on :D)... but coilovers like hoe and SAW are desinged for high speed desert running, and are valved and sprung that way. They give you a very harsh ride on the street.. in fact the SAW spring rate is stiffer that then spings OME uses for their winch/bumper spring... To me the TRD OR ride is great.. which is why I kept it... I have no doubt OME rides great too, but my lift was only 110, and all I wanted was the level effect... really I should have gone with a .75" spring spacer, and a .75" top plate.. but oh well I still love it. I use my truck for mostly trail riding, with some technical... nothing the OEM coils with spacers cant handle... and I dont have to spend any cash on the rear....

So decide on how you want to use it...

mild wheeling/trail riding.... small spacer

decent wheeling, but not often.. small spacer or OME

high speed running... hoe or SAW...

I personally wouldnt go over 2" in the front... your CV's will take a toll, as will your ride....

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hate to disagree with you AH64, but my hoes ride great on the street set at 2.5 lift. They did get a little stiff at 3.0 lift. But they were a hell of a lot better riding than my spacer lift was. I can't speak for the SAW's, but the hoes ride fine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
FedEx dropped off my Toytec kit today: 884's with the Alcan AAL. I have an 07 double cab. After I ordered the lift, I decided that all I really want to do is level out the front end. Doug at Toytec said I can install the 884s without the top spacer to accomplish 2" of lift. I currently run 265/75's on aftermarket wheels and just want a little more clearance for the tires so I can put my front mudflaps back on. Just something for you to consider.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Hate to disagree with you AH64, but my hoes ride great on the street set at 2.5 lift. They did get a little stiff at 3.0 lift. But they were a hell of a lot better riding than my spacer lift was. I can't speak for the SAW's, but the hoes ride fine.
Good deal... I have no personal experiance with them, just some of the reports I have read about them here....

disagree away, we only want correct info out here :D

Do you know the spring rate on the hoes?

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
FedEx dropped off my Toytec kit today: 884's with the Alcan AAL. I have an 07 double cab. After I ordered the lift, I decided that all I really want to do is level out the front end. Doug at Toytec said I can install the 884s without the top spacer to accomplish 2" of lift. I currently run 265/75's on aftermarket wheels and just want a little more clearance for the tires so I can put my front mudflaps back on. Just something for you to consider.
You will only gain the "clearance" with a static suspension, you will still rub the mudflap when you compress the suspension, that could be offroad, or turning out of a parking lot.... 2" of lift will be a little more than level, my truck came up 1.75" and its right at DEAD level....

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Good deal... I have no personal experiance with them, just some of the reports I have read about them here....

disagree away, we only want correct info out here :D

Do you know the spring rate on the hoes?
No issues bud. I don't know the spring rate on the hoes, but they have a good ride, given the amount of lift, even cranked up (compared to leafs). Also, I have been spoiled by these CO's. I am used to the choppy ride that you get with a lifted all leaf suspension. Coil overs will always be the better riding of the 2. My bud has a dodge 3/4 ton with 6 inches of Coil lift and that damn thing rides like butter. So, either way, I guess it's just a matter of personal preference. Rock on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts