TTORA Forum banner

07 Taco- 2WD. Man it's rusty!

631 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ShowStop 
#1 · (Edited)
I have an 07 Taco. 2WD. A few years back Toyota replaced the frame. Unfortunately, they left everything else that was rusty there for me to deal with and today was the start of a new fun project.... My differential case has a leak that is hidden directly under the spring aligner that is welded to the differential case (OEM). I just cut the bottom of the spring aligner out today and cleaned up all the rust. From the inside of the case when I have the passenger side axle removed (aside from the heat marks from the factory welding) there was a faint brown rust spot that I spotted with an extendable mirror and flashlight. I was able to get a tiny probe to poke through it without much force at all. This tiny hole caused my entire leaf spring to become saturated in diff fluid. My brakes and wheels were miraculously dry! It was a spooky problem to have... It was NOT (I repeat) was NOT coming from the seal, although I will be replacing that due to the extensive work I currently have under weigh on the diff case. My plan is to braze the hole and re-fabricate the bottom of the alignment plate from a piece of 1/4" mild steel. I'll chamfer the edges and weld it back in place. I have all the tools, so why not?!?

Here's a video!

Some more history, this is my second Tacoma. Aside from the rust, I love them!

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.