TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a few posts about ARB bumpers being too heavy and causing frame damage over time.

any validity to this or is it hype ?

Thanks,
Spot

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
There are several members that have installed them on their trucks, Cedarbarn for one, that use there trucks to the full extent of their abilities. Other members: 2tense, sisyphus, cell4soul...the list goes on. I put mine on last month, I still need to get a winch. I did not notice any drastic change in handling yet. It is a heavy piece of material, but I feel a lot better about hitting anything with the ARB up front versus the aluminum/Rubbermaid combo Toyota tried to pass off as a bumper. The ARB is attached with 12 bolts, I don't think that it will hurt the frame. They did quite a bit of R&D on it before it hit the market and they have been building bumpers for a lot of different models.... Of course you will find someone that says otherwise....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ocdropzone,

I thought it wasn't really a concern but wanted to double check before really making a decision one way or another (bull bar or Trans4mer mount). There are a decent amount of deer where I leave and I'd rather "roo" bar them than replace another bumper, grill, and headlights again.

I want to see if I can have a front reciever hitch fab'd to where I can install it on a bolt on plate where the winch would normally sit. That way I can still use my 9.5Ti (integrated solenoid) with the ARB and have the optoin of moving it to the back as well.

Hey if you could do me a favor, measure the winch opening height and width (really I want the height) for me - I guaged it at about 2 & 1/4".

Then take a look and see if you have any room to get a hand in there to put a hitch pin in without cutting a bigger hole in the bumper. I don't know anyone with a taco with a bull bar on it otherwise I'd try it myself.

** I forgot to mention my Toyota Dealer is the regional ARB dealer also, only problem is they want 1,200 sa-mollies for the bull bar. The deal i worked so far was - I'm replacing the rugged trails that came on the truck with BFG AT KO's I'm buying from Costco, the dealer offered me 400 bucks for my set of 4 rugged trails if I put it against the ARB bull bar. Truck gets here in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks!!!
Spot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
tmorgan4,

The 9.5Ti has an integrated solenoid - so it doesn't fit... The ARB application charts say so... plus I double checked when I called them and asked if they made a "front hitch slide in" for their bumper... you watch a year from now they'll do it and I'll get no credit... LOL!!! All I want is a hitch on a ARB.

Spot

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok did some more research -

If I added a hitch to the front of the bumper it would move the torque point out during side pulls and the bumper wasn't built for that so it could be damaged. It was built for side pulls where the pressure point is at the bumper so it's all good.

ok..

Spot

C

·
0 Posts
I like my ARB bumper, it has caused no problems with the frame.

$1200 bucks?! that is WAAAY too much $$ to pay for an ARB bumper!! Shop around!! Try giving Toyota of Dallas Parts Department a call.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
T,

Prettty cool, I may just buy a second winch and go with the ARB in the front. I want a "deer deflection" device. and the ability to put on a winch.

I have the multi-mount already, I can either buy a second winch or trade the one I have for one that doesn't have a integrated solenoid.

Spot

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
jhunter said:
I would look at www.trdparts4u.com before you buy. Several other places have them cheaper than 1200 as well. Check the sponsors sites.
I got mine for $899 from them, that included the shipping, it was from their ebay store..looks like they raised the price to $929, still an awesome deal vs. $1200..http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270080495716&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=8075915506&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget
I ordered mine the first part of Jan, had it with in 8 days...They wrapped it like crazy, arrived with out a single stratch...
http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55885&highlight=ARB

They have got awesome customer service...

Take a look at 2Tense's set up, he has got the front and back mounted winches http://www.ttora.com/photos/showgallery.php?mcats=all&si=&what=allfields&name=2tense&when=0&whenterm=&condition=and
...someday

·
Registered
407 Posts
I now consider myself to be expert in matters regarding the '05-'07 Taco frame. I won't hang anything on the framehorns heavier than the stock bumpers, nor would I stress it severely with a winch....without first adding sufficient extra metal to strengthen it. Here's why:

Back in November, a vehicle travelling approximately 40 mph slammed into the jeep behind me, which struck the rear of my '05 while I was stopped at a light.

A couple of days ago, the truck struck a couple of fence posts at no more than 10 mph....airbag didn't deploy, and it felt like there was minor to no damage....I was shocked when I saw the front end:

Now, check out the damage estimate in the following link, particularly items 1-43 and you'll see the real dealio on how strong the front bumper/frame unit is:

02/07/07 Estimate

Yeah, I know....me, the truck, or both are snakebit. It's a fine truck and wheels better than I ever expected when I bought it. The locker rocks! The picture doesn't show how steep the embankment was that I shot right up afterwards to get the truck back on the highway.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
n9emz said:
I now consider myself to be expert in matters regarding the '05-'07 Taco frame. I won't hang anything on the framehorns heavier than the stock bumpers, nor would I stress it severely with a winch....without first adding sufficient extra metal to strengthen it. Here's why:

Back in November, a vehicle travelling approximately 40 mph slammed into the jeep behind me, which struck the rear of my '05 while I was stopped at a light.

A couple of days ago, the truck struck a couple of fence posts at no more than 10 mph....airbag didn't deploy, and it felt like there was minor to no damage....I was shocked when I saw the front end:
Now, check out the damage estimate in the following link, particularly items 1-43 and you'll see the real dealio on how strong the front bumper/frame unit is:

02/07/07 Estimate

Yeah, I know....me, the truck, or both are snakebit. It's a fine truck and wheels better than I ever expected when I bought it. The locker rocks! The picture doesn't show how steep the embankment was that I shot right up afterwards to get the truck back on the highway.
How does impact collision have anything to do with static strength? Both of your accidents were impact force. The truck acted like designed, it collapesed outside the passenger compartment. The air bags didnt deploy because there was no need to, and you missed the sensor which is on the end of the frame horn.

I dont think either of your accidents show negative impacts on the frame or bumper/winch mounting. In the front winchs are not mounted to the bumper, they are mounted thru/around the bumper to the frame.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm aware of designed crush and dissipation of energy, but from my own perspective I have to have frame strength. On the trails I hit boulders, trees, and even other trailrigs....and trailrigs on occasion hit me. I also stress the frame with snatches and chain pulls. When straps won't work, hook up with this and see what you get with a stock frame:

What I'm simply saying is, before I add 150 lbs upwards of extra weight to the framehorns, I'm gonna box everything in sight behind it. Extra weight will only increase the damage in an impact.

This frame doesn't bend:

My Taco won't either when I'm done with it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have an XD9000 in my ARB. So far I have safely pulled a jeep liberty, myself, and an H3. The H3 was at a severe right angle to my truck. It was an awkward and tough pull but the neither the truck or the bumper moved an inch. I have no worries about straping my truck up and pulling things out.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
n9emz said:
chain pulls. When straps won't work, hook up with this and see what you get with a stock frame:

Wow, I hope I am NEVER anywhere near you on the trail, thats one of the DUMBEST thing I have EVER seen.. chain pulls.. are you fucking kidding... jesus...

·
Registered
407 Posts
ah64id said:
Wow, I hope I am NEVER anywhere near you on the trail, thats one of the DUMBEST thing I have EVER seen.. chain pulls.. are you fucking kidding... jesus...
I'll make a deal with you....don't bring your Apache around me and I won't bring my chains into your AO. Let's confine ourselves to our individual areas of expertise and not venture into ones we're scared of.
:D

·
Registered
407 Posts
mickdady said:
I have an XD9000 in my ARB. So far I have safely pulled a jeep liberty, myself, and an H3. The H3 was at a severe right angle to my truck. It was an awkward and tough pull but the neither the truck or the bumper moved an inch. I have no worries about straping my truck up and pulling things out.

Hey, Mike....

Which Walmart did you do those pulls at?

Nice looking truck....hope mine looks somewhat like that someday, if I can quit wrecking it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
n9emz said:
Hey, Mike....

Which Walmart did you do those pulls at?

Nice looking truck....hope mine looks somewhat like that someday, if I can quit wrecking it.

It wasn't a walmart it was parking lot at the local mall! :flipoff4:

And Actually the liberty wasn't wheeling. It was stuck in a ditch....but I bet if it were to go offroad it would be "Trail ready" :missingto

·
Registered
407 Posts
That's a shame, Mike....

I couldn't wait....I had to try mine out in stock form. I won't even try and tell you how good these damned Tacos wheel. I can't wait until the next club run, but I've got to keep in mind I can't afford to hit anything. I've owned a lot of stock 4x4s but this one is world's above and beyond all of them.

You've got to try it out.

Regards,

Sam

1 - 20 of 40 Posts