im doing a bit of research for my truck
im getting a 07 extended cab TRD stick 4.0 black tacoma
my plan is to get the total chaos long travel
king coilovers
deavers and donahoe resivors for the rear temporarily
glassworks glass front and rear
toyo open country on 35's
on pro comp wheels

i wanna know if there is a link anywhere on how to install the total chaos long travel on an 05+ tacoma
with step by step instructions and pictures
has anyone done this?

i have seen trail less traveled article on the

http://www.trailslesstraveled.com/article/total-chaos-long-travel-front-suspension/

but i want the same but for the 05+ tacoma
thanks for your time

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks a lot
that really makes things clear
i rember reading somewhere that the upper control arm bolt has given some people some trouble. something about the inner fender?

what little things that the instructions dont really mention can you guyz tell me

this isnt the first lift i install but the first long travel they i will install
and i havent worked on the new tacoma suspension wise

which direction do you put the eccentrics on?

·
Registered
912 Posts
As far as the upper control arm main pivot bolt my best advice is to order two new ones from toyota then slightly loosen the ones on your truck, grip with vise grips or something and cut the heads off so they can slide out towards back of the vehicle then on the new arms slide the new ones in from back to front, new bolts either $7 each or $14 each, can't remember but makes it easier and you don't have to tweak and bend your inner fenders.

Make sure when tightening bolts at uniball pivots that misalignment spacers are flush in uniball, if they're not, and there is a lot of droop angle they can get caught on the uniball cup lip and bend/deform, ask me how I know:rolleyes:

Other than that grease the crap out of the lower bushings since they don't have zerks, or drill and tap holes to add them, remember to line them up with the gap between bushings which is offset since one bushing is short and the other long.

I heard the axle install is tricky, I'm 2wd so I can't help u there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
does any one have the part number from toyota for the upper control arm bolts?

"member to line them up with the gap between bushings which is offset since one bushing is short and the other long. "

i don't understand that part
can you explain with a picture or something else

can u explain the basics of putting the eccentric
thats all i could get out of it
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eccentric_(mechanism)

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
um dont cut the stock bolts, just pull the fender a hair out of the way and remove them... why waste money on a part thats not bad.

·
Registered
361 Posts
just bend em back, you can pull the bolt through, if you have to remove the battery to get it out but it shouldnt be a problem

the fender is easy to move back ,just pull on it a little harder and it will be out of the way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks

so thats to remove the uppercontrol arm

to seperate the uppercontrol arm and spindle and the lower control and the spindle

how should i go about this?

·
Registered
361 Posts
you'll have seperate the balljoints from the upper and lowers. i dont know how the 05-07 tacos are, but i have the same front end as a 95.5-04 tacomas and mine were pressed in. bottom should be easier,

it wont be that big of a deal to get those removed, if you need to rent a press that will make it the easiest.

·
Registered
912 Posts
A tie rod/pitman arm puller works great to remove upper ball joints, they are not pressed into the spindle like previous gen tacomas, can be rented at pep-boys-kragen-autozone... not the fork style.. lower ball joint unbolts from spindle and new kit has a bolt on lower uniball adapter, upper uniball has tapered adapter sleave, pretty easy install, no press needed

TC has install download on their site

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i have read the instructions very carefully on total chaos's website

i just want to make sure that i understand everything so i don't get in over my head and take on this project

ok so i need to bend my inner fender to remove the uppercontrol arm bolt

i need to rent a tie rod/pitman arm puller to remove the uppercontrol arm from the spindle

the lower control arm unbolts from the spindle

to put it back together with the total chaos is just bolt on like the instructions show?

and torque the nut from the lower control arm to spindle to 110ft lbs

what else should i be aware of?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have worked on suspensions but im wondering what the order of disassembly and assembly is.

jack the truck up
put jack stands under the frame
chock the rear tires
remove the the front tires
put something under the lower control arms to compress them to remove the lower shock bolt?

then unbolt the 3 bolts on top of the coil not the center

then remove the upper control arm to the spindle using the tie rod puller
then unbolt the lower control arm from the spindle

then unbolt the unbolt the upper control arm from the frame

how do u unbolt the eccentric on the lower control arm from the frame?

disconnect the abs sensor

thats what i understand for dissasembly what am i missing

·
Registered
361 Posts
no do not compress the arms to take out the shocks, thats just going to make it harder.

do this first
you got the first 4 steps right
then do this, take the upper control arm off the spindle
then let it droop.
unbolt large eye bolt at the shock mount, then the upper 3 bolts on the top shock mount.
push down on lower control to pull the entire strut assembly out.
then.... you want to take the lower and steering out.

you may want to compress the suspension first to get the arm away from spindle but not to get the shocks out.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks neliconcept for clarrifying

allright
so use the tie rod puller and seperate the uppercontrol arm from the spindle

then the lower shock bolt then the upper 3 bolts

unbolt the lower control arm from the frame?
and remove the lower control arm and the spindle as one piece?

then the steering tie rod

is this right so far?

·
Registered
361 Posts
you can prob remove the spindle and lower arm as one peice, but do remember that the tie rod is connected to the spindle as well. brake lines and all of that are also connected so the little things will also have to be disconnected, swaybar is another small thing.

the spindle will be resued for the TC or Camburg LT kit you plan on going with im pretty sure.

but you seem to have the right idea.

·
Registered
361 Posts
oh yeah another thing, with each step, take some pictures just in case you need some help from these smart guys on here. and so that we can see how badass your truck is about to look :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Yeah I'm sure there are some smart guys on here who have installed this kit on their own new generation tacoma like yours who might have some good advice on what to do and what not to do from their own experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
allright
so use the tie rod puller and seperate the uppercontrol arm from the spindle

jack the truck up
put jack stands under the frame
chock the rear tires
remove the the front tires

then the lower shock bolt
then the upper 3 bolts for the shock
so then remove the skidplate
remove the sway bar
then remove the steering tie rod
remove the abs
and the brake lines
unbolt the lower control arm from the frame?
and remove the lower control arm and the spindle as one piece?

is that better
thank you sooo much
Happysmiley and neliconcept
is this right so far?

to unbolt the lower control arms from the frame is there any speacial way for the eccentric to take off

are the swaybars resused in the total chaos long travel kit im pretty sure they arent so are you suppose to weld on a tab on the lower control arm to reuse the sway bars?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts