TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, All:
My brand new Tacoma feels like it is riding on its fingertips when I'm on the highway. I don't feel comfortable driving with just one hand like I have with every other vehicvle I've owned. Do I need new tires, more weight in the back, have the alignment checked? Other than this I really like my new truck. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MtnWalker

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
First, wrong folder.

Second, Yes. Something is wrong. If this is a brand new truck, take it back to the dealer.

If this is a modified truck with a lift and big tires, then it probably needs an alignment or something.

In either case, there's something wrong.

My truck is very sure footed and feels safe and in control at all times. At freeway speeds it responds to steering inputs in a predictable manner.

Here in Houston, Freeway speeds are pretty much always 75+, and 85 is pretty common.

Your truck should feel safe on the freeway too.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
check your air pressure........incorrect air pressure will create the driving experience you have described.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops! I meant to put this in the late model forum. Thanks for the informative replies in any case.

MtnWalker

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello, All:
My brand new Tacoma feels like it is riding on its fingertips when I'm on the highway. I don't feel comfortable driving with just one hand like I have with every other vehicvle I've owned. Do I need new tires, more weight in the back, have the alignment checked? Other than this I really like my new truck. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
MtnWalker

I also live in CO... Ever notice the grooves in the highway? I think they are cut from cars running snow tires. I'm betting it has something to do with the width of the truck. Mine seems to float from side-to-side in those grooves, but runs just fine on the back roads at the same speeds. I blame Colorado DOT.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Get an alignment, my 07 with 1800 miles was wearing the outside edges of the POS dunlops, so i threw it on the rack at work and the toe was off on both sides. This truck has only seen 1800 flat highway miles and it was out of spec. Total toe was -.12-way off, the spec. is 0.0 to +.22 degrees. It was also feeling loose at 70 plus mph and feels much better now. I set it at +.14 and it works fine. Get a 3 or 5 year alignment plan from a good shop, i think these trucks are prone to alignment issues and it will probably change more when the suspension breaks in and settles a little.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I had that problem as well!!! :D It feels a lot like riding my motorcycle on a textured surface, it kind of tracks around a bit. I have heard that certain knobby mud tires can "track" bumps in the road at highway speeds like the center line etc... but I doubt that the tacos factory tires are that soft natured.

I blamed it on the fact that I was used to my car which had a modified sport suspension and super wide performance grip tires.

Did you drive the off road model or the sport? i didnt drive the sport but I think the off road's higher ride height combined with the change in tire design (big thick walls instead of low profile) made it feel a bit loose compared to my car. Compared to other trucks I drove the Tacoma feels a lot more sure footed. It took me a while to get used to it but I feel much better on the highway now. it also has a pretty high profile so the wind tends to knock me a round more than when i was in the car. All contributed to a uneasy feeling when i first drove it on the highway. I thought it was out of alignment as well and took it in when I first got it. It checked out fine. I'm used to it now.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Doesnt the sport model sit higher than the offroad or is it just the 17" rims because they have the same size tires.:confused:

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Mine's lifted and handles fine. I have the TC arms and this allowed me to retain stock alignment specs. Before I installed the arms, the truck would wander at freeway speeds. But you should not have any issues with the truck stock. I agree with Frank, take it back to the dealer and have it fixed.

·
Registered
636 Posts
--- Corrected sizes...

Not sure about the height differences, but the Sport and Off Road do not have the same size tire. Sport comes with 265/65/17, and the Off Road comes with 265/70/16.

UPDATE: mine is lifted too and has never wondered. It is very stable at highway speeds.

UPDATE2: I've deleted my WRONG tire sizing... I'm all messed up today. I need a nap...

Doesnt the sport model sit higher than the offroad or is it just the 17" rims because they have the same size tires.:confused:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
My offroad came with 265/70/16 so i must have got hosed, O well there gone now so I dont care.

·
Registered
636 Posts
NOPE!!!! I mistyped my sizes.. I will correct them...

Sorry!

My offroad came with 265/70/16 so i must have got hosed, O well there gone now so I dont care.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
265/70/16 is about a 31", 265/75 is about a 32 :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Alright thanx, sorry to the OP for taking this thread off topic.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts