TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so my buddy has a 07 tundra 5.7 automatic quad cab and every now and then when he goes to start it up it will run for about 5-6 seconds then just shut off.he opens the hood and disconnects the battery for a minute or so then hooks it back up then it fires right up and has no problems after that.idk what it is im not to good with these new trucks i have a 91 pick up 22re and thats to new for me hahaha any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nothing aftermarket its all bone stock it doesnt throw any codes but he has to disconnect the battery for a minute or less then connects its back up then it starts fine and it wont happen again for a week or so its sort of tempermental thing might be a lack of fuel to the motor but it dont make sense to disconnect the batt. he runs 87 i believe

·
Registered
327 Posts
I find it hard the motor stalls without at least throwing a pending DTC. Problem is when he pulls the battery you loose your readiness status so knowone can check it. try not to pull that battery terminal next time and take it to a shop ( not some auto parts store with some dumbass) and have them check for codes. Where their there have them check fuel pressure etc. Ive also seen with many toyotas that when the battery is disconnected it messes with the security system and it wont let the truck idol until the monitors have been ran. :2cents:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah its messed up theres no way to start the truck if you dont disconnect the batt. first when he turns it on it will run for like 2 seconds then just die and if you try to start it again it turns but wont start but if you disconnect it then reconnect it it fire up no problem at all.if you ask me i think the comp is f**ked right up.it throws no codes what so ever we both have mechanical backrounds its just more with motors w/carbs rather than all this computer bullshit i do own a 91 pick up but thats easy enough to figure out wiring and what not idk i appreciate the input though thanks

·
Registered
39 Posts
Try another key that came with the truck. The truck has an immobilizer (chip key) and if the system has a problem with the key or the receiver in the column it can cause this complaint. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Try using the key you always use... If it starts and stalls, do not disconnect the battery. instead wait 15 - 30 mins (like BATyc1 said there is an immobilizer), after at least 15 mins has elapsed use another key. If it starts no problem you chip is bad in that key and it is locking your ECU. At that point your off to the dealer. Those keys take a minimun of 30 mins to learn passwords that are transmitted between the ECU and Immobilizer.

You should have two black keys and a grey key (valet key).

Hope this helps bro.

·
Registered
60 Posts
how about takibng it to toyota? if its an 07 shouldnt it still be under warranty? assuming it has under 100K miles on it

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just went thru this with an 06 tundra v8 after putting in an optima battery & tray. my customer hadn't cleaned the mass air sensor and the butterfly on the throttle body in God knows how long..it was soooo black. I couldn't believe it....I cleaned both parts with mass air sensor cleaner or electrical contact cleaner, pulled the 2 EFI fuses with key NOT in ignition out for about 5 seconds, plugged the fuses back in and it fired right up in the first 1-2 seconds and held an idle...or take to toyota if under warranty if that doesn't work..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try using the key you always use... If it starts and stalls, do not disconnect the battery. instead wait 15 - 30 mins (like BATyc1 said there is an immobilizer), after at least 15 mins has elapsed use another key. If it starts no problem you chip is bad in that key and it is locking your ECU. At that point your off to the dealer. Those keys take a minimun of 30 mins to learn passwords that are transmitted between the ECU and Immobilizer.

You should have two black keys and a grey key (valet key).

Hope this helps bro.
i have the same issue with my08…just tried the other key still not working..Just wondering if you had any other ideas?

thx..!…dealer just charges me money and they don't have clue what is wrong..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine was doing the same thing and it was the EFI #1 25amp fuse that bad.

Same issues to a "T", all works fine now with a new fuse.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks to those who said key!!!

I have been having this problem VERY intermittently on an 08 Tundra for a year or two. After reading this post I remembered my daughter tried to start my truck with a pencil. A bit of graphite never hurts a lock right? Anyway I just had the issue and found this post. I turned it on, it started to die and then I pushed the key in a bit further and it revved right back up! Mystery solved.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok so my buddy has a 07 tundra 5.7 automatic quad cab and every now and then when he goes to start it up it will run for about 5-6 seconds then just shut off.he opens the hood and disconnects the battery for a minute or so then hooks it back up then it fires right up and has no problems after that.idk what it is im not to good with these new trucks i have a 91 pick up 22re and thats to new for me hahaha any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys.
Have your Vehicle security system scanned for codes- may or may not have any.
Toyota have issued a Tech Service Bulletin T-SB-0078-09 for the ENGINE IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM, CRANK NO START CONDITION
Will most likely have to replace and reprogram the Vehicles Transponder Key Computer Assembly.
The was Cover under warranty, but most warranties have run out on this issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts