TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for a new 07 4x4 Tacoma. I searched but I can't find the answer to these questions. Any feedback i s appreciated.

1) I know the new 07 have a button to disable VSC. When this button is turned off does it also disable TRAC? Or is TRAC always on?

2) When the rear diff is locked and the TRAC/VSC button on, are TRAC and VSC automatically disabled even though the VSC/TRAC button is on? In other words can you use rear diff lock and TRAC together?

JC

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
As far as I know the automatics are the only ones w/VSC and TRAC. I have a 6 speed what were you planning on getting manual or auto?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ebruddah said:
As far as I know the automatics are the only ones w/VSC and TRAC. I have a 6 speed what were you planning on getting manual or auto?
Automatic...but I want to be able to turn on TRAC/VSC and then turn it off. So I was wondering if the VSC off button also disabled TRAC...or is TRAC alway on?

Also will TRAC work in 4lo?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a auto Dubble Cab V6 TRD Off Road. It has no vsc or trac, the traction control is junk, the vsc isnt really needed but it can be handy at higher speeds if you hit some ice or somthing.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
K20Z3Si said:
I have a auto Dubble Cab V6 TRD Off Road. It has no vsc or trac, the traction control is junk, the vsc isnt really needed but it can be handy at higher speeds if you hit some ice or somthing.
Not all OffRoads have VSC, on the ones with the JBL stereo option...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
jc_2002 said:
I am in the market for a new 07 4x4 Tacoma. I searched but I can't find the answer to these questions. Any feedback i s appreciated.

1) I know the new 07 have a button to disable VSC. When this button is turned off does it also disable TRAC? Or is TRAC always on?

2) When the rear diff is locked and the TRAC/VSC button on, are TRAC and VSC automatically disabled even though the VSC/TRAC button is on? In other words can you use rear diff lock and TRAC together?

JC
No - VSC and TRAC are two different systems. VSC disables when you put it in 4wd (or by the switch), but TRAC is still enabled. When you engage the locker, all systems are disabled.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I currently reviewing the wiring schematics to see if I can figure out the hack for the Tacoma. I'll let you all know what I find out but Jacket is correct on how the system works. This option is not just available on autos with the JBL. I have this option on my 07 6 speed without JBL. The code was VF when I ordered. I believe VE is for the automatics and includes DAC.

Scott

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ah64id said:
I wonder if you can do the TRAC-Locker mod like in the FJ's?? That would be sweet...

linky
The FJs use "A-TRAC" in conjunction with the locker. A-TRAC is used only in 4lo on the FJs.

The Tacoma only has TRAC which is used in 4hi and automatically engages over ~10mph.....so I don't see the two vehicles having the same setup. It would have to be multiple hacks.

1) You need a hack to enable TRAC in 4lo under the 10mph automatic turn on.
2) You need a hack to allow TRAC to stay on when the locker is engaged.

or

1) Perform the hack that is already available to enable the locker in 4hi.
2) Research a hack to allow TRAC to stay on when the locker is engaged. However, it will only work over the ~10mph automatic turn on.

Pretty complex. If somebody can figure this out they awesome.

JC

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I figured out a way to turn OFF the VSC/ABS/TRAC by grounding the Blue wire with the yellow stripe at the 4WD ECU. Just like the FJ alex mod, just further down the wire, and instead of applying +12V I ground the wire. So in theory, with the locker mod already done, you could apply power to the same wire (cut it and hook it up to an ACC wire) just make sure the juice goes to the ECU not the Locker. You could even have a 3 position switch, Always on, stock, and always off. I personally don't like TRAC because it screws with the throttle, and in lots of cases feathering the throttle at the edge of traction will get you over the obstacle. I am thinking of a hill climb I did a while back, it was steep enough you could only see the sky through the windshield, and half way up there was a dog leg around some trees wich was a 90* right, then 90* left followed by a full throttle push over the top in loose dirt and scree, let off on the top section and it's steep enough and loose enough your brakes won't hold you and you get a new dent from the trees. I ran it in 4HI because momentum is the only way to make it. I also got a new dent in my bumper from the TRAC kicking in after the dog leg. I couldn't use the locker because of the sharp sidehill turns around the trees, locked up the ass end would just walk down the hill and into the trees. I got pissed and figured out how to disable it after that.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
jc_2002 said:
The FJs use "A-TRAC" in conjunction with the locker. A-TRAC is used only in 4lo on the FJs.
Not all FJ's do this. The only ones at this point are the TRD Special Edition. They are supposed to all have the feature, but the non SE ones do not use A-TRAC in conjunctoin with the locker...

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
ah64id said:
I wonder if you can do the TRAC-Locker mod like in the FJ's?? That would be sweet...

linky
Thanks for that link John. I don't follow the FJ world much, but that was a great read. Funny how you end up going full circle if you follow all the posts and links.....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Pre-November build FJs could not use ATRAC when the rear locker was engaged. That has changed now and they work together, not just on the SEs so the hack is no longer needed for the post-November builds.

Scott

ah64id said:
Not all FJ's do this. The only ones at this point are the TRD Special Edition. They are supposed to all have the feature, but the non SE ones do not use A-TRAC in conjunctoin with the locker...

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
tacosupreme said:
I figured out a way to turn OFF the VSC/ABS/TRAC by grounding the Blue wire with the yellow stripe at the 4WD ECU. Just like the FJ alex mod, just further down the wire, and instead of applying +12V I ground the wire. So in theory, with the locker mod already done, you could apply power to the same wire (cut it and hook it up to an ACC wire) just make sure the juice goes to the ECU not the Locker. You could even have a 3 position switch, Always on, stock, and always off. I personally don't like TRAC because it screws with the throttle, and in lots of cases feathering the throttle at the edge of traction will get you over the obstacle. I am thinking of a hill climb I did a while back, it was steep enough you could only see the sky through the windshield, and half way up there was a dog leg around some trees wich was a 90* right, then 90* left followed by a full throttle push over the top in loose dirt and scree, let off on the top section and it's steep enough and loose enough your brakes won't hold you and you get a new dent from the trees. I ran it in 4HI because momentum is the only way to make it. I also got a new dent in my bumper from the TRAC kicking in after the dog leg. I couldn't use the locker because of the sharp sidehill turns around the trees, locked up the ass end would just walk down the hill and into the trees. I got pissed and figured out how to disable it after that.
From what I have been reading TRAC doesnt limit throttle, thats VSC, which now has an on/off switch. And they are both disabled with the rear locker on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
7 Participants
ah64id
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing