TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone seen this done on yotas, front or rear. what would the benifit be to usin 1/4 eliptical springs over reg leafs?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
byrdawg said:
has anyone seen this done on yotas, front or rear. what would the benifit be to usin 1/4 eliptical springs over reg leafs?
The biggest benefit that I can see over regular leafs is that you eliminate the shackle in the rear, so basically you only need the frame to extend far enough to the rear to mount some shocks. This gives you a negative departure angle which would be very nice to have.

You can also get more flex out of the half-pack than you would out of the full pack, as the spring constant goes down (there is less downward force created by the leaf spring).

Here is a Suzuki with a 1/4 elliptic setup. It's basically a four-link with some extra arms (the leafs). Wheeled with this thing in Idaho.

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-4/155437/P1010014.jpg

Another possibility that I have seen in person on a 4-Runner was a buggy spring setup. You mount a half-pack, like the 1/4 elliptic, to the frame above the normal leaf spring. Then use a shackle to join the rear of the upper spring to the rear of the full-length spring. This is mainly useful for droop, as once the bottom spring is fully stretched, the upper spring starts to bend down as well.

It worked amazingly well on the 4-Runner, as he was able to drive all the way up a 30* RTI ramp while using 38" Boggers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
do you need a certian spring to do half packs with. or is it essentially a full pack cut in half. they intrigue me.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Those were popular on trail rigs in Ca during the late 80's. I had a set built for my 86 Toyota, truck. I had a problem with them flattening out fast, within 2 to 3 months they would be sagging bad enough to make my 33's (hugh tires at that time) stuff in the wheel wells with very little weight in the bed. A spring shop can custom make a set for you.
Tim

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
byrdawg said:
do you need a certian spring to do half packs with. or is it essentially a full pack cut in half. they intrigue me.
I don't know, but I assume that as long as you retain the bolt through the center of the leafs that you'll be fine.

Search on Pirate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
AK98Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing